BG1, PRELOAD BG2, PRELOAD

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Default Hearting your own level?

Commenting on many people's profiles lately, I've noticed that quite a few people only have one heart on their "20 jumps" levels. Bascially, any level they made themselves that isn't up there in lots of plays. Usually, they heart that level themselves. However, quite a few popular creators also heart their own levels. Do you think this is a bad thing or a good thing? I see it as you enjoyed what you created, so you hearted that. Hearting your level to get one heart is kinda silly because everyone knows who hearted it.

I agree in full with your statement, and I actually feel that MM should remove this, as it can be used to get a "1-Up" on a lot of pins, for lack of better term.
    It doesn't matter how bad you are at something you enjoy, as long as you enjoy it and keep at it. If you don't start the engine, the car won't move. Only through usage will you get anywhere.

3. Thanks!

Level completed: 21%, Points required for next Level: 632
    Overall activity: 0%
    7 days registered 30 days registered 3 months registered 1 year registered 100 Experience Points
    PSN
    AnnoSlept
    Blog Entries

Heating your own level well I see no point. It's like uploading a picture on Facebook and liking it. People know you like/hearted it but does that one heart really have that much of an effect? Some would say yes and others no and there's argument for both.

I think one heart won't make too much of a difference to a certain point. Does having 100 hearts have more of a difference than 99 hearts. Well maybe that has a sort of small Impact. Then lets say we get larger. 30001 hearts compared to 30000 hearts. They are both already recognised in their own right. Yet is everything I just said true is it just pointless or does it acctually affect anything in any way? That's for yourself to decide.
    APPLE IS LOVE, APPLE IS LIFE

Junior Sackperson TheUltraDeino's Avatar
    Level completed: 3%, Points required for next Level: 976
    7 days registered 1000 Experience Points 500 Experience Points 250 Experience Points 100 Experience Points
    PSN
    ultralucario64
    Blog Entries

Everytime I upload a level, someone with the psn "ultralucario64" always hearts it. I think this guy might be my biggest fan, but I don't make good levels. I know I'm posting this in the wrong thread, but it's getting weird.

On a side note, I don't really heart my own levels

Tumblr Twitter Steam Youtube
    Also "The Ultra Deino" in: Minecraft, Miiverse, Skype, XBL (won't talk though)
    "ultralucario64" in: PSN

Seriously, how can hearting your own level possibly be a bad thing?

LBPCentral Creator Spotlight CrewUniverseUnderConstruction jwwphotos's Avatar
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 28.0%
    Your First Group 10000 Experience Points 5000 Experience Points 1000 Experience Points 500 Experience Points
    PSN
    jwwPhotos
    Blog Entries

I didn't think you could in LBP2 anymore.. or maybe that is just via LBP.me.
    (aka jww) - Published Levels
    Space Escape (spotlighted!) // Space Escape II (spotlighted!)
    Survival Line (spotlighted!) // Space Escape Pinball (spotlighted! Mm Picked!)
    Trapped (spotlighted! vita)

Quote Originally Posted by megaextremist View Post
    Hearting your level to get one heart is kinda silly because everyone knows who hearted it.
    It's dumb for sure but it's only 1 heart. I've seen people with alt/sockpuppet accounts spamming themselves with hearts.

Quote Originally Posted by Alex-Raven View Post
    Seriously, how can hearting your own level possibly be a bad thing?
    Well, it's conceited. It's more of an issue when the same attitude infests a level you're playing.

Level completed: 39%, Points required for next Level: 61
    Overall activity: 32.0%
    7 days registered 100 Experience Points
    PSN
    Greginator5000

I heart my own levels. But, it's not because I want to get ahead of anything or anyone else. It's because I love LBP and I love making things inside of the game. But, now that I know it actually irritates people, I guess I won't do it anymore.

I love my levels so i'm going to heart them.

11. Thanks!

Level completed: 73%, Points required for next Level: 270
    Overall activity: 35.0%
    7 days registered 100 Experience Points 30 days registered 250 Experience Points 500 Experience Points
    PSN
    alistair26

I don't heart my own levels, but in a sense it's just like patting yourself on the back saying "job well done".

Quote Originally Posted by TheUltraDeino View Post
    Everytime I upload a level, someone with the psn "ultralucario64" always hearts it. I think this guy might be my biggest fan, but I don't make good levels. I know I'm posting this in the wrong thread, but it's getting weird.

On a side note, I don't really heart my own levels
    You could call him an "anti-troll". Does he even play your levels or just heart them?

Quote Originally Posted by qwerty123456 View Post
    I agree in full with your statement, and I actually feel that MM should remove this, as it can be used to get a "1-Up" on a lot of pins, for lack of better term.
    thats a really good point and probably the gist of what I'm getting at :P

Seriously? It's one level heart. I didn't know there was anyone who didn't heart their own levels. If you don't like your own levels, why publish them? They're clearly not finished then.

I fail to see how it's at all conceited to create the kinds of levels you like to play, and try to give them that small starting nudge to help them in to the play stream.

It is a single heart. If you ask your friends to play your level, chances are, you'll get plenty more.

In the very early stages of a level having been published, every heart helps you to get noticed, so if "getting your level noticed" is such a big problem in LBP, why wouldn't you heart your own level?

1220-6841-7284

Level completed: 38%, Points required for next Level: 686
    7 days registered 1000 Experience Points 500 Experience Points 250 Experience Points 100 Experience Points
    PSN
    Grayspence
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by KlawwTheClown View Post
    Seriously? It's one level heart. I didn't know there was anyone who didn't heart their own levels. If you don't like your own levels, why publish them? They're clearly not finished then.

I fail to see how it's at all conceited to create the kinds of levels you like to play, and try to give them that small starting nudge to help them in to the play stream.

It is a single heart. If you ask your friends to play your level, chances are, you'll get plenty more.

In the very early stages of a level having been published, every heart helps you to get noticed, so if "getting your level noticed" is such a big problem in LBP, why wouldn't you heart your own level?
    I agree wholeheartedly, and I have been doing it since I started creating and publishing. I can't see why it would be conceited to heart your own creations, I mean, making multiple accounts and hearting the level with them is a different story, but the author should have every right to express his or her satisfaction with the work they publish.

Oh, and it's ONE heart.
    Former Spotlighter, Create Marathon Organizer,
    Digital Artist,
    All around nice guy

Follow me on Twitter!

Quote Originally Posted by Ayneh View Post
    Well, it's conceited.
    Sorry, but that's just a silly thing to say... Every social medium I've ever been on that has ratings allows users to rate themselves (youtube, facebook, reddit etc.)

It's more of an issue when the same attitude infests a level you're playing.
    That... that doesn't make any sense (I'm not being rude, I honestly don't understand what you mean)

17. Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by grayspence View Post
    I agree wholeheartedly, and I have been doing it since I started creating and publishing. I can't see why it would be conceited to heart your own creations, I mean, making multiple accounts and hearting the level with them is a different story, but the author should have every right to express his or her satisfaction with the work they publish.

Oh, and it's ONE heart.
    For sure, it's only 1 heart.

When I see you've hearted yourself and don't play your level you've lost 1-4 hearts immediately. Now there's no chance of us passing it on to other people, inside or outside the game, so you may lose more hearts than even that.

That's just the statistical consequence, which is only half the story.

Quote Originally Posted by Alex-Raven View Post
    That... that doesn't make any sense (I'm not being rude, I honestly don't understand what you mean)
    Sorry if that wasn't clear. The point was it's more of a problem when the same narcissistic or insecure attitude that drives people to heart themselves is present in their levels. There are so many levels with reams of self-indulgent speech bubbles it's not even funny.

For sure, it's only 1 heart.

When I see you've hearted yourself and don't play your level you've lost 1-4 hearts immediately. Now there's no chance of us passing it on to other people, inside or outside the game, so you may lose more hearts than even that.

That's just the statistical consequence, which is only half the story.
    That argument goes both ways. Ever since LBP1 first came out, hearting your levels after they're published has become almost like a routine for me. Every tutorial at the time recommended it, so naturally I assumed everybody did it. I never even thought anything of it until this thread came up, and ever since I can remember, I would never bother playing levels with 0 hearts because I assume that the creator of the level either didn't even like it or they just didn't care enough about it to acknowledge it.

There's no penalty for hearting your own level, and the option is there for everyone. If it only helps you, then why not do it? After spending hundreds of hours creating something, wouldn't you want to do everything in your power to prevent it from flopping?

At the end of the day, it's a useless number that sits on your profile, infinitely lesser than the number of hearts on the latest "CuTE Boy COSTUMES O.o" masterpiece.

Not playing someone's level just because they're proud of it and want it to get a bit of attention seems a bit mean, too. When all the top rated levels are copied anyway, why would you just ignore one that a creator put loads of work into, just because they wanted to give it a chance?

1220-6841-7284

...narcissistic or insecure attitude that drives people to heart themselves...
    (ಠ_ಠ) I'm sorry , come again?

Sackperson Sergeant Lord-Dreamerz's Avatar
    Level completed: 99%, Points required for next Level: 3
    Overall activity: 28.0%
    7 days registered Created Album pictures 100 Experience Points 250 Experience Points 30 days registered
    PSN
    fumetsusozo
    Blog Entries

There's no penalty for hearting your own level, and the option is there for everyone. If it only helps you, then why not do it? After spending hundreds of hours creating something, wouldn't you want to do everything in your power to prevent it from flopping?
    Your opinion on the matter is funny. *mew

But yeah. My opinion is that hearting your own level reeks of narcissism or pathetic desperation to get yourself attention. Since obviously you don't need to heart your own level to help yourself find it. If I ever saw somebody heart their own level, In my mind I'd think 1 of 2 things right off the bat. #1 it must mean the dude has no self-confidence that anyone will play their level. Or #2 the dude is really that self-centered. Regardless of what the case really was, At that point I wouldn't touch that person's level with a 10 foot pole.

But honestly it doesn't really matter to me if a person hearts their own level. But I will say it's pointless and that the option should be removed from the game. *mew
    Last edited by Lord-Dreamerz; 09-21-2013 at 07:18 PM.
    ~Lets go on a fantastic ADVENTURE!~

If you're going to heart your own level, then you might as well create a crap-ton of sub-accounts to do so too. If you like your level enough to heart it then if you really like it then why can't you heart it again and again?

To say it's okay to heart your own level is really, by extension, to say that you can create sub-accounts to heart your level too. If you really like your level why should you deny yourself that joy.

Of course, I don't heart my own levels. I find it rather silly and amusing. I often see many levels with 0 plays, 0 yays, and 1 heart, and think, "Oh, how cute." I do have a sub-account though, and I have hearted all my levels on it. Food for thought.
    And the world...is electricity! And there's a lot inside of you! And there's a lot inside of me!

I was tolled hearting your level helps you promote it,Iv been hearting my own level since lbp 1.

I think its fine hearting your own level.

I find it silly and amusing when people judge others for hearting there own levels!!!!!

Those who worry about what I do to my levels are self absorbed.

Meaning of self-absorbed

preoccupied with one's own thoughts, emotions, life, etc.

preoccupied with one's thoughts, interests, etc.
    Last edited by Lbphart3; 09-21-2013 at 10:08 PM.

Journey Rebirth 2 was included in LBPC Community Spotlight Episode 120 9/13/13

Journey Rebirth 2 was included in LBN PICKS 21 9/22/13

24. Thanks!

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast