BG1, PRELOAD BG2, PRELOAD

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Level completed: 33%, Points required for next Level: 406
    Overall activity: 0%
    7 days registered 1000 Experience Points 500 Experience Points 250 Experience Points 100 Experience Points
    PSN
    Wyth
    The wetlands (more like snow lands right now)

Default Jack McSetback & the Spiky Stone of Doom (Spotlighted, X-Played and IGN'd)

Level: Jack McSetback & the Spiky Stone of Doom
    PSN: Wyth
    Location: North-west of India (first page of best rated ATM, might be an easier way to search)
    F4F limit: 3

Jack McSetback is an aspiring adventurer, roaming the world for treasure and adventure. He arrives near a Sackistanian temple in his rocket balloon and boldly enters. The Golden Idol he heard of was easily reached yet getting out will prove more of a hassle.

I'd like to showcase my level here even though it's been played quite a bit (more than I ever dared to dream), I've not had much critical feedback. I'm working on the sequel and I'd like to learn from mistakes I made. So BE CRITICAL I can handle it .

I'd rather not spend too much time on playing/reviewing other peoples levels, most of my time will go into work on the sequel. Creating takes a lot of time (I'm quite hard on myself about quality standards) and I have a lot of real life around too. I'll F4F the first three to ask, and I might do more if I feel like it :P. Any feedback though is appreciated and you'll help the sequel with it .

I'ts a platforming/adventure level with a bit of story, it has a simple 2 player part and is fully suitable to four player coop.

Let's hear it!

UPDATE: It seems that I've been spotlighted by X-play. Link: http://g4tv.com/xplay/videos/36377/X...et_Levels.html. Its a feature of 2.5 minutes and it has a bit of a teaser from my level, along with 2 other levels. The comments are nearly a copy of my description of the level.

UPDATE 2: Spotlighted, see it over in the spotlight thread for the full stuff.

UPDATE 3: Spotlighted by IGN at http://ps3.ign.com/articles/954/954711p1.html

I really love it that people and companies are finding my level and it's recognised in all it's greatness
    Last edited by Wyth; 02-18-2009 at 10:57 AM.
    Levels:
    Jack McSetback & the Spiky Stone of Doom
    Jack McSetback & the Buccaneers' Booty
    Jack McSetback III, Work in Progress

Hmm okies Ima try this out ^^"

... just need to east something first :P

Edit: Alright just ate and played your level ^^"

Everything was on right spot! The music, the atmosphere, the obstacles and platforming were all about one concept and that is great!

The 2x area was really well done/timed ^^" ... tried to get through by one sackboy and I didnt come through xD

The details were also fantastic! And I think that everything is custom-built am I right?

The traps and the obstacles were fun ... but a little too easy for me ... dunno why ... but you dont have to change the difficulty ... so it could serve a wider public !

Oh and cant wait for the sequel ^^"
    Last edited by Senrir; 01-16-2009 at 08:39 AM.

I played this a while back... it's great! The biggest issue I found (which I noted in a comment) was that your multiplayer section was possible with just one person. You might have changed it since then. I wouldn't mind playing it again with a more critical eye.
    Last edited by Risen; 01-16-2009 at 04:20 PM.

wow!! im breathless that was great

defininte 5 stars hearted you also

no problems on this level, and i look forward to more

try my levels ( part 1 and part 2 )

silent hill 2 REBORN

ps i love the way everything feels like ancient mechanics, eg the rock falling to launch u higher, genious!
    Last edited by talmasca; 02-17-2009 at 10:31 AM.

7 days registered 1000 Experience Points 500 Experience Points 250 Experience Points 100 Experience Points
    PSN
    Wyth

Thanks for the comments, you guys indeed reminded me to shove the switch for the two player part a bit more to thte left. I don't know for the life of me how you do it with one person but well...

Everything is indeed custom made, so will the sequel be, although it is giving me a really big headache.

No more points of critique? Don't be shy, even the smallest things can help me.

I'll check it out Talmasca, saw your levels around here on the forums and meant to try them.
    Levels:

I played this yesterday I think, and really, really enjoyed it. It was polished as hell, and I don't recall getting hung up or stuck on anything. There were some great little mechanics I haven't seen before, too.

What can I say? I'd be a bit harder on you, but all I remember was having a pleasant experience all the way through. I'll try and give it another look later on and get back to you with some real ideas! But I have no doubt that the new level is in fine hands.
    Six Teeby Levels

A Very Sony Christmas.........The Movies.........Fear and the Phantom Town
    .........City on the Sea.........The Legend of the Deep One .........The Electric Banana Peeler Factory

Sackperson Sergeant

PSN
    SilentPredator
    Blog Entries

Hm... is this the level with the stones dropping down and stuff? (not very specific, I know)

PSN
    Wyth

Quote Originally Posted by Creative View Post
    Hm... is this the level with the stones dropping down and stuff? (not very specific, I know)
    Hahah, yeah I think you have the right level in front of you yes . Lot of stone-dropping and sackboy-spiking going on in this level.
    Levels:

PSN
    Wyth

I've slightly adapted the 2x part so that it can no longer be done solo.
    Levels:

Sackperson Sergeant

PSN
    SilentPredator
    Blog Entries

Oh, this level is amazing! I thought it was this one... Just to clarify: the stones dropping had magnetic keys attatched to them, right? Because to calculate the weight and adapt them to suit each situation would be crazy... Really good level though. I think the fact it's on "Highest Rated" backs up my opinion

I can't wait for the sequel!

PSN
    Wyth

Quote Originally Posted by SilentPredator View Post
    Oh, this level is amazing! I thought it was this one... Just to clarify: the stones dropping had magnetic keys attatched to them, right? Because to calculate the weight and adapt them to suit each situation would be crazy... Really good level though. I think the fact it's on "Highest Rated" backs up my opinion

I can't wait for the sequel!
    Thanks!

Ahahahaha I can assure you that not a single stone has a magnetic switch attached to them to fake the weight. To adapt them to each situation I had a different solution. The stones of the elevator and the flip-flop platforms are emitted and I tweaked the linear speed to fine tune its power. As you can see, there are no motor/wobble bolts or pistons used in these traps they are truly stone-powered. The Elevator has a complicated see-saw construction that got me quite a headache .

The swinging stone that drops down the draw bridge is also pure physics, the bridge is just finely balanced so that a minor bump makes it shift its balance and fall down.

The stones near the up-down platforms above the fire pit are purely decorative, the movement from them are wobble bolts attached to the circular suspension things.

The titular spiky stone of doom has a magnetic switch on it, yet that is only used to make the bridge collapse at the end.

Creating all these mechanics was very fun and challenging, yet my stone-driven inspiration has run out and Jack McSetback II won't have this sort of thing, it will have other cool mechanics though.

If my level hits 100,000 plays I'll republish it copyable and you all will be able to see how I did stuff.
    Levels:

Sackperson Sergeant

PSN
    SilentPredator
    Blog Entries

Awesome...

At the beginning when you have to escape the trap, my first instinct was to run back from where I came in. I got stuck there and had to 'try again' because I ran the "wrong" way. It was sort of frustrating. Maybe the spiky ceiling could extend all the way to the door and kill you instead of trap you there?

Know that this is an extremely minor thing, but you did ask for that sort of criticism... I hope to give it another play soon and let you know what else I see.

I played this and I thought it was pretty flippin sweet. I liked the physics puzzles and death defying traps. It made me feel like a regular Indiana Jones.
    Past Projects: Temple of Sun and Moon, H.A.T.E., H.A.T.E._2
    Current Project: None
    Backburner: Project Shipwreck (Working Title)

This level, was, in a word, AMAZING.
    Rock mechanics were beautiful, and the music suited the level pretty well. The chase scene was frikkin' INSANE. 5 stars and a creator heart. Can't wait for the sequel!

F4F: Long Road Home series
    Last edited by Nukemgreen; 01-24-2009 at 06:21 PM.
    Level Progress:
    Unnamed Subway/Sewer Level: BUILDING
    Unnamed War Level: Waiting to get MGS pack

PSN
    Wyth

Quote Originally Posted by Risen View Post
    At the beginning when you have to escape the trap, my first instinct was to run back from where I came in. I got stuck there and had to 'try again' because I ran the "wrong" way. It was sort of frustrating. Maybe the spiky ceiling could extend all the way to the door and kill you instead of trap you there?

Know that this is an extremely minor thing, but you did ask for that sort of criticism... I hope to give it another play soon and let you know what else I see.
    Yeah I see your point, I know this as a minor issue. You did not have to retry though, you can run into the spikes, which will kill you and make you respawn on a place so you can finish the level.

It would be best that the ceiling kills you but that's quite a bit of work to edit in it... I might think on emitting some fire there or something. Thanks for the comment
    Levels:

Default Great level!

I played this and is now one of my favorite levels. Loved everything from the story, to the ingenious traps and platforming puzzles, to the beautiful lighting and the incredible design I've always been a fan of the Indiana Jones-type premise, and this is the first LBP level I played that really captured that feel. The sense of danger, adventure, mystery, and a vast forgotten world just waiting to be explored was present all throughout the level.

5 stars, and a heart!

F4F participant here!! My LEVELS:
    In the Belly of the Beast Thread; Omaha Thread; Little Big Tower of Babel Thread

PSN
    Wyth

I get so many comments on the Indy feel, it's funny I did have it as inspiration but I didn't exactly build it to capture the feel.

My next level doesn't have the Indiana vibe going (I don't think so anyway) so I'm afraid if people aren't let down by that. I also don't have the traps (not like that anyway). I'm doing quite different things next time around. Regardless of that, would you like to see more Indiana style levels or would you want to see whatever I can come up with?
    Levels:

I personally would love to see whatever you come up with. Chances are you'll come up with something even more awesome next time!
    Level Progress:
    Unnamed Subway/Sewer Level: BUILDING
    Unnamed War Level: Waiting to get MGS pack

Hey man, don't let what you think we expect from you dictate what you create next! You're the creator, you decide what to make!

We loved Jack McSetback because it was a great level, NOT because it had an Indy-feel, traps, etc. And if you create another great level, I'm sure people will like it too, whatever its theme or "feel".

F4F participant here!! My LEVELS:
    In the Belly of the Beast Thread; Omaha Thread; Little Big Tower of Babel Thread

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast