BG1, PRELOAD BG2, PRELOAD

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

So changing gamma is such a big deal?

I organize all my LBP ideas in a Google Docs folder. Feel free to have a look. I'd love to have some feedback too! http://tiny.cc/lbpvandoc

2. Thanks!

Making a level that's not pitch-black with black platforms wouldn't be too hard. I'm just saying, it's a major turnoff having everything so dark.

Sackperson Private

PSN
    NinjaMicWZ
    Blog Entries

I don't know. I adjusted my gamma settings once along time ago when I was using the old wooden-box set TV downstairs in the living room, because I didn't have a remote to adjust the settings with and everything was set to spanish for some reason. I've never had a problem seeing anything in anyone's level, no matter how dark.

The TV I'm on now is just a small old SD-TV, an Emerson, that's not even a good brand. I do sometimes have to turn off certain lighting effects, or decrease the darkness in create mode to see what I'm doing, but never have any problems in play mode. Ep 2 in this series seems more foggy and blue to me, than pitch black and devoid of light.

I don't think it's a question of being able to or willing to make a level that isn't dark or made of dark material... it just wouldn't have the same aesthetic style, foreboding and curious theme, or menacing mood if it was changed to a brightly lit area with different materials.

I don't expect you to like it, but I don't expect him to change it either. I would just skip that episode. The rest aren't dark like that. Don't let one bad apple spoil the whole bunch.
    Last edited by NinjaMicWZ; 02-21-2009 at 11:03 PM.

5. Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by NinjaMicWZ View Post
    I just played through 16, and as always, am completely impressed and remain a loyal subscriber. You'll see more of my thoughts on episode 16, and the series in general soon... I just want to say, man, that there is nothing else like this series of levels. Not just on LBP, but in creative mediums in general... it's so far off the radar, and more indy than anything else could ever hope to be BECAUSE of where it is. You can only find it on LBP, it's free and done totally for the love, and can only be experienced in a playable form through another game's platforming engine. It's not even on the radar, it's not in stores, it's not for sale in mom and pop shops or on the street corner for $5 - you can't even get it for free on a warez site - it's way deeper than underground.

If I could somehow convince people to understand the importance of LBP, and what it signifies as revolutionary software and a public venue for everyone... way beyond that of what mod communities and customization have been offering for years - this would be what I use as an example. Game journalists are too blind to recognize it and promote it as such, and the majority of the player base would never see it like this.

I originally wrote it off as nothing too special... but as it's continued to grow, and as you've learned more you've applied that knowledge to polishing up the earlier entries, it's really hooked me in.

Just speakin' my mind, so that you have some incentive to keep it up.
    Wow I never really thought of how indie this stuff really is. I wonder if, in the future, there will be LBP saves of levels somewhere. We've all spent so much time on our levels and gameplay.. and I just hope there will be someway to save our creations... cause when the servers are gone.. and the last PS3 has died.. all of our little big planet levels will disappear.

*runs away and cries*

Anyway, Ninja, thanks so much for the comments. I have to admit, your levels have always been a big inspiration for me, same with Ock, and all the other regulars on this board.

If it wasn't for the comments I get back, I would never have progressed so far(IMO). So a big thanks to anyone that's ever commented on my stuff!

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Pteran View Post
    Making a level that's not pitch-black with black platforms wouldn't be too hard. I'm just saying, it's a major turnoff having everything so dark.
    Well, the whole theme is that this part of the building doesn't have much power. It's supposed to look like that. If you're willing to check a message board, go check the level, quit the level, come back to the message board and post... why can't you just go into gamma settings? It's not like I made it dark to spite you.

I've also tested all my levels on SDTV's and HDTV's and I checked episode 2 extensively, to make sure it wasn't too dark. The only thing I can think is the gamma settings!

I would change my gamma settings to play your level probably. Just saying.
    Last edited by Snowspot; 02-22-2009 at 12:48 AM.

Well, I just think it's annoying that there's difficult platforming action, but I can't even see the platforms I'm about to jump to. You can make a "dark building" without having it pitch black...

Anyways, whatever. I'm not going to adjust my TV settings just to play a level made of dark matter platforms anyway....

Well, I just think it's annoying that there's difficult platforming action, but I can't even see the platforms I'm about to jump to. You can make a "dark building" without having it pitch black...

Anyways, whatever. I'm not going to adjust my TV settings just to play a level made of dark matter platforms anyway....
    Ok, then try a different level, or don't try anything.. but if you don't plan on playing I don't need you constantly posting in this thread. It's for people that actually play the levels. If you want to play 16 and give some feedback I'd really appreciate it
    Last edited by Snowspot; 02-22-2009 at 02:15 AM.

Sackperson Private

PSN
    NinjaMicWZ
    Blog Entries

The platforms are actually made of rubber, and suspended with dark matter. Since it's dark, it wouldn't really matter what the material's are made out of, it would be the platforming itself via the placement of the platforms, the design, and the motivation you're given to complete the task at hand that matters.

Like I said though... there might be other episodes you'll still like. When I used to read comics as a kid... like X-Men for example, there would always be an awesome artist like Jim Lee or Joe Madureira on the series, and every once in awhile they'd have a substitute artist who wasn't as good, as a way to introduce them, or to give the regular artist a break... or sometimes to finish off a few pages and help meet the deadline. It always annoyed me, and disrupted to continuity of whatever the story was... but hey, next month, the regular artist would be back and I'd just skip over the one subpar issue.
    Last edited by NinjaMicWZ; 02-22-2009 at 05:02 AM.

I would just like to also throw in - I have played through every one of these levels several times and have NEVER had a problem seeing. My cable company had a video they played that allowed me to adjust the TV settings to EXACTLY what they were supposed to be and I have no problem playing through these levels. The fact is, there are MANY popular levels that have less contrast than these.
    F4F Participant
    Levels published: F4F: LIBERATOR - Spotlighted!!!! -, Vectroids - MM Picked!!! Spotlighted!!!! -, Sea Dragon -Spotlighted-, Roll out the Barrel! -Spotlighted-, Splat Invaders III: Insurrection - Spotlighted-, Destiny! -Spotlighted! MM Community pick!-, Vertigo! -Spotlighted-, Splat Invaders Saga -Spotlighted! IGN Pick!-, Splat Invaders II: The Caverns of Splat -Spotlighted!-, Tiger Woods Mini Golf -Spotlighted!-, Starship Troopers -Spotlighted!-

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2