BG1, PRELOAD BG2, PRELOAD

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Default Basilisk Bog (Spotlighted + Pics)

Well, I've finally finished my second level, Basilisk Bog. I almost gave up on it after half the stage just randomly fell apart and I, unaware that had happen, saved it and exited to the Pod. Thankfully, after cooling off a bit, I decided to rebuild and have completed the level. Originally, I had planned to focus on more puzzle aspects, but as I started developing the level, my focus went toward my first attempt at a final boss. I think, for the most part, it turned out pretty well. I look forward to your thoughts.

F4F: I'm going to try and do as many as possible. I will be unable to play a majority of this weekend, but I will play your level asap. No worries!

PSN ID: mrsupercomputer
    Level: Basilisk Bog
    Description: Basilisks have attacked a local settlement and kidnapped two villagers! Journey across the treacherous swamp and descend into the basilisk's lair to save the villagers from the Basilisk King!

And, once again, forgive the quality of my pics as I've had to rely on my digital camera for them.

I wasn't sure if some would consider pictures of a boss a spoiler, so just in case:
    [SPOILER][/SPOILER]

Level completed: 96%, Points required for next Level: 34
    Overall activity: 0%
    7 days registered 5000 Experience Points 1000 Experience Points 500 Experience Points 250 Experience Points
    PSN
    Marklin80

It looks really cool and i loved your previous level so i'm definitely gonna check it out immediately!

(if i give you feedback is it ok if i save your response until i get finished with my next level? I think it will be done in about 1-3 weeks...)
    Last edited by Marklin80; 02-12-2009 at 06:54 PM.

Addicted to Secrets ThommyTheThird's Avatar
    Level completed: 1%, Points required for next Level: 699
    7 days registered 5000 Experience Points 1000 Experience Points 500 Experience Points 250 Experience Points
    PSN
    ThommyTheThird
    i live in the small yet great Netherlands.

Hey, i'm posting feedback as i play:

- Right away i notice the awesome visual aspects, really like the setting.

- Paintballs dropping from the ceiling, nice touch. Just like the smoke coming from some trees. Gives a volcano kinda effect.

- Holy crap, i killed the sleeping basilisk Nice one. (Also the way to get there)

- I kinda curshed the key... It came under the springboard, and got crushed... Have to replay.

- Noticed the first secret now I like how you discover the meaning of those "volcanoes" later than you actually see them. Walked past this the first time as i thought it was a neat decoration ^,^

- The jumping basilisks, while you descend trough those spongey balls, was awesome

- Boss, awesome Some really nice "Weapons"

Overall: Amazingly goodlooking level, with some good platforming parts and creatures.

If you've got enough time, please give some feedback on my level "Hard Simplicity". Thanks in advance.

Quote Originally Posted by Marklin80
    (if i give you feedback is it ok if i save your response until i get finished with my nest level? I think it will be done in about 1-3 weeks...)
    Yeah, that would be fine. You might want to send me a reminder when it comes out though. I don't want to forget.

Quote Originally Posted by ThommyTheThird View Post
    - I kinda curshed the key... It came under the springboard, and got crushed... Have to replay.
    No need to restart. A new key should appear. Did you look around before restarting, the key would have appeared where it did originally. If it didn't maybe I need to fix the emitter. If it did and you missed it, then maybe I should inform the player that a key will spawn if it breaks. Unfortunately, it tends to break every once in a while.

- The jumping basilisks, while you descend trough those spongey balls, was awesome
    Thanks. This was the section that came apart for no reason. I had it all set up and then one morning I load up the level and it's all collapsed. I really liked it though, so I had to rebuild it, no matter the frustration.

Overall: Amazingly goodlooking level, with some good platforming parts and creatures.

If you've got enough time, please give some feedback on my level "Hard Simplicity". Thanks in advance.
    Thanks for the feedback. I'm off to check out your level right now!

Level completed: 96%, Points required for next Level: 34
    PSN
    Marklin80

Great! I'll send you a Pm when its done.
    Sadly i don't have time to write anything until on Saturday . (**** homework that i should be doing but always delay(by reading this forum instead( ...i really should begin to work on it now )))

Talking

Ok, just went in and played this one. WOW - this level is absolutely stunning! I don't think I spotted a flaw in here. The "emitter wind blowing" at the beginning was fantastic looking. I don't think I've ever seen that one before. Loved the story, the scenery and graphics were fantastic, and I think the final boss was fantastic. Took me a minute to figure out...

I actually had not played either one of your levels before. I liked this one so much I jumped in and played Mulberry Woods while I was at it - was was also fantastic and incredibly innovative.

I put hearts on both your levels + an author heart. Great stuff!
    F4F Participant
    Levels published: F4F: LIBERATOR - Spotlighted!!!! -, Vectroids - MM Picked!!! Spotlighted!!!! -, Sea Dragon -Spotlighted-, Roll out the Barrel! -Spotlighted-, Splat Invaders III: Insurrection - Spotlighted-, Destiny! -Spotlighted! MM Community pick!-, Vertigo! -Spotlighted-, Splat Invaders Saga -Spotlighted! IGN Pick!-, Splat Invaders II: The Caverns of Splat -Spotlighted!-, Tiger Woods Mini Golf -Spotlighted!-, Starship Troopers -Spotlighted!-

I like your style of level: Not over the top flashy or epic, but simple, with good production values. I loved your first level, and will play this very soon. Have you checked out the "Forgotten Relics of the Sack..." PSN is:dkjestrup

If you have already, forgive me, I may have forgotten!

Durn. I shouldn't have clicked on that spoiler. That's an awesome boss and would've made a terrific surprise.

F4F participant here!! My LEVELS:
    In the Belly of the Beast Thread; Omaha Thread; Little Big Tower of Babel Thread

That was absolute genius!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!111111111111

The good stuff:
    - You are a master of creature/character design. You don't suffer from the "I'm trying real hard to create a cool-looking object, but the limitations of LBP won't let me" sickness. With Mulberry Woods it was the falcon and the Lumberjacks. This time it's the Basilisks and the tribesmen. Your monsters don't look like a bunch of triangles or squares that have been stuck together to resemble or represent a monster. They REALLY look like MONSTERS. And absolutely fantastic-looking monsters at that. Also, this is the first time I've seen human beings modeled this way (oh wait, that's wrong. The Lumberjacks from your previous level were also amazing). They are actually RECOGNIZABLE as human beings.
    - Your set design skills are amazing. From the lighting, the fog, the look of the village, the cave and the swamps... you really know how to take the player straight from his couch/chair/sofa/armchair/whatever to the world you've just created.
    - Simple but effective story that does not detract the player from the level.
    - Score bubbles and prize bubbles that have been positioned in places that make them FUN instead of a chore to collect.
    - Fun platforming elements! Loved the slides, the Sackboy-launching mini volcanoes (I forgot the proper term for those gas-emitting mound-with-a-hole thinggies), the vine-swinging and Basilisk dodging. The chase was exhilarating!
    - The plant juice thing was ingenious. Oh by the way, how did you do that? How does pulling on a string get the paintinator to drip like that? If you don't mind my asking (because if it's a trade secret I'd understand if you don't want to tell, hehe). I've seen a similar effect in some other levels, but I haven't been able to figure it out...
    - WHAT A BOSS. Gorgeously designed and as intimidating as heck, beating this boss took brains AND skill (BTW, I suggest you delete the spoiler images from your thread. I know you have a warning about the spoiler. But you know us people. We can be stupid sometimes. We like to take little peeks and then regret it later. For the benefit of everyone who hasn't played the level, delete the image!!!! The boss is too awesome a surprise to be spoiled. People will thank you for it later).

The stuff that need improvement:
    - NOT MUCH
    - the boss, though not so difficult, takes a while to figure out. Because of the lighting it's a little difficult to see which creature brains are protected and which aren't. I don't suggest you change the lighting or the design of the boss itself. But perhaps you can add another checkpoint (for the benefit of the less skilled players like me, hahaha)
    - somewhere in the cave, a little distance after the first sleeping basilisk, I fell down a swamp. And I fell right through the cave and smack into the inner workings of your level!!! Dark matter and all!!! Not really a big deal, and I doubt it will happen to everybody, but still, it might be disconcerting for the person who DOES experience this.

And so there. This is an excellent level that should not be missed. Definitely 5 stars and a heart!
    Last edited by mostevilmilo; 02-13-2009 at 01:41 PM.

In the Belly of the Beast Thread; Omaha Thread; Little Big Tower of Babel Thread

Very cool level! I realy liked it! You used very wel the materials, making a really good grapich, and the NPC are really good realized! The gameplay was well made, the basilisks (they're more than one, no?) are good enemies xD You used very well the "paint", and the toxic-plant is a great idea xD The king basilisk was really awesome, a great mix of grapich-gameplay! Maybe the only "bad" thing was the MGS soundtrack when you was escaping from the basilisk, try another soundtrack, MGS destroies the atmosphere

Overall, the level was really great, i enjoyed it, very fun! 5/5 stars!
    If you can, try my level, Sack Quest! The link is in the signature :P

Quote Originally Posted by CCubbage View Post
    Ok, just went in and played this one. WOW - this level is absolutely stunning! I don't think I spotted a flaw in here. The "emitter wind blowing" at the beginning was fantastic looking. I don't think I've ever seen that one before.
    Thanks for the comments. The wind is actually done by using a couple of rockets off screen. I saw the technique used in the Introductory level of the MGS pack. At the very end, they use it and you can see it right before the scoreboard.
    Loved the story, the scenery and graphics were fantastic, and I think the final boss was fantastic. Took me a minute to figure out...
    Was that a fun or frustrating minute? I've had one comment recommending that I give the player more information about how to defeat the boss. So, I'm curious as to how quickly everyone is figuring it out.

Quote Originally Posted by dkjestrup View Post
    I like your style of level: Not over the top flashy or epic, but simple, with good production values. I loved your first level, and will play this very soon. Have you checked out the "Forgotten Relics of the Sack..." PSN is:dkjestrup

If you have already, forgive me, I may have forgotten!
    Thanks for your kind words dk. I look forward to your thoughts after you've played through it. I have already played and left feedback on Forgotten Relics of the Sack, but I'm still waiting on those added features you talked about. Let me know when you've made those additions.

Quote Originally Posted by mostevilmilo View Post
    Durn. I shouldn't have clicked on that spoiler. That's an awesome boss and would've made a terrific surprise.
    Haha! I warned you! Well, I hope you still enjoy him despite the spoiler.

That was absolute genius!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!111111111111

The good stuff:
    - You are a master of creature/character design. You don't suffer from the "I'm trying real hard to create a cool-looking object, but the limitations of LBP won't let me" sickness. With Mulberry Woods it was the falcon and the Lumberjacks. This time it's the Basilisks and the tribesmen. Your monsters don't look like a bunch of triangles or squares that have been stuck together to resemble or represent a monster. They REALLY look like MONSTERS. And absolutely fantastic-looking monsters at that. Also, this is the first time I've seen human beings modeled this way (oh wait, that's wrong. The Lumberjacks from your previous level were also amazing). They are actually RECOGNIZABLE as human beings.
    - Your set design skills are amazing. From the lighting, the fog, the look of the village, the cave and the swamps... you really know how to take the player straight from his couch/chair/sofa/armchair/whatever to the world you've just created.
    - Simple but effective story that does not detract the player from the level.
    - Score bubbles and prize bubbles that have been positioned in places that make them FUN instead of a chore to collect.
    - Fun platforming elements! Loved the slides, the Sackboy-launching mini volcanoes (I forgot the proper term for those gas-emitting mound-with-a-hole thinggies), the vine-swinging and Basilisk dodging. The chase was exhilarating!
    Wow! That's a lot of feedback! Thanks Milo for all those kind words!

- The plant juice thing was ingenious. Oh by the way, how did you do that? How does pulling on a string get the paintinator to drip like that? If you don't mind my asking (because if it's a trade secret I'd understand if you don't want to tell, hehe). I've seen a similar effect in some other levels, but I haven't been able to figure it out...
    If you have the paintinator, go into create more and shoot a couple blobs in the air. Pause while they are in mid air, capture one, and then you can use an emitter to shoot paint!

- WHAT A BOSS. Gorgeously designed and as intimidating as heck, beating this boss took brains AND skill (BTW, I suggest you delete the spoiler images from your thread. I know you have a warning about the spoiler. But you know us people. We can be stupid sometimes. We like to take little peeks and then regret it later. For the benefit of everyone who hasn't played the level, delete the image!!!! The boss is too awesome a surprise to be spoiled. People will thank you for it later).
    Haha! I will think about it, maybe I should put your words up there as a warning!

The stuff that need improvement:
    - NOT MUCH
    - the boss, though not so difficult, takes a while to figure out. Because of the lighting it's a little difficult to see which creature brains are protected and which aren't. I don't suggest you change the lighting or the design of the boss itself. But perhaps you can add another checkpoint (for the benefit of the less skilled players like me, hahaha)
    - somewhere in the cave, a little distance after the first sleeping basilisk, I fell down a swamp. And I fell right through the cave and smack into the inner workings of your level!!! Dark matter and all!!! Not really a big deal, and I doubt it will happen to everybody, but still, it might be disconcerting for the person who DOES experience this.
    I will continue to tweak the Boss fight as I get more and more feedback. Thanks for your suggestions. As for falling through. Do you remember where this happened at?

EDIT: Nevermind, I think I found the spot you were talking about.

Quote Originally Posted by Dante95 View Post
    Very cool level! I realy liked it! You used very wel the materials, making a really good grapich, and the NPC are really good realized! The gameplay was well made, the basilisks (they're more than one, no?) are good enemies xD You used very well the "paint", and the toxic-plant is a great idea xD The king basilisk was really awesome, a great mix of grapich-gameplay! Maybe the only "bad" thing was the MGS soundtrack when you was escaping from the basilisk, try another soundtrack, MGS destroies the atmosphere

Overall, the level was really great, i enjoyed it, very fun! 5/5 stars!
    If you can, try my level, Sack Quest! The link is in the signature :P
    Thanks for your feedback. I had the toughest time deciding what music to use for the chase and boss fight. A lot of people use the Battle on Ice for their chase or boss sequences, so I wanted to avoid that. Hmm, I will continue to play with different music and see if anything else works. Thanks again, and I'll be sure to check out Sack Quest.

If you have the paintinator, go into create more and shoot a couple blobs in the air. Pause while they are in mid air, capture one, and then you can use an emitter to shoot paint!
    Ah, of course! This technique has actually been mentioned to me already. I didn't get it too much last time, but now I do. Thanks for the tip!

As for falling through. Do you remember where this happened at?
    Haha, found it again myself too. The leftmost edge of the huge swamp right after the first sleeping basilisk, if you stand on one of the small ledges and jump as far as you can to the left, you go right through the floor.

Quote Originally Posted by mrsupercomputer View Post
    Was that a fun or frustrating minute? I've had one comment recommending that I give the player more information about how to defeat the boss. So, I'm curious as to how quickly everyone is figuring it out.
    It's a little hard to tell.... I like figuring things out, but I know a lot of players in LBP don't. It took me a minute to figure out what to do after grabbing the different sections (I couldn't see the area over the boss that I had to use to dump to poison on him). Maybe after you grab all the sections you could do a cut scene camera to the area above the boss.
    F4F Participant
    Levels published: F4F: LIBERATOR - Spotlighted!!!! -, Vectroids - MM Picked!!! Spotlighted!!!! -, Sea Dragon -Spotlighted-, Roll out the Barrel! -Spotlighted-, Splat Invaders III: Insurrection - Spotlighted-, Destiny! -Spotlighted! MM Community pick!-, Vertigo! -Spotlighted-, Splat Invaders Saga -Spotlighted! IGN Pick!-, Splat Invaders II: The Caverns of Splat -Spotlighted!-, Tiger Woods Mini Golf -Spotlighted!-, Starship Troopers -Spotlighted!-

Just played it, here are my thoughts:

Pros:
    Great design, not too flashy.
    Cool smoke effects
    Nice use of paintballs
    Great enemy and character design
    Awesome boss and chase sequence

Cons:
    The room with the sleeping basilisk is quite hard to get into. You've got to time that jump perfectly Maybe you should delay the springboard to activate shortly after the smoke.
    When the boss's armour has been removed, the rate he fires spikes from his shoulders increases, leaving you more vulnerable, while you're hanging from the toxic plant. I'm pretty sure it was intentional, but it nearly took all my lives.

Overall, a great level. 5 stars and hearted.

Level completed: 44%, Points required for next Level: 338
    Your First Group 5000 Experience Points 1000 Experience Points 500 Experience Points 250 Experience Points
    PSN
    i_am_superBlast
    Blog Entries

this is a really great level. the basilisks (which i thought was mythical snakes, oh well) and the people and all the visuals and lighting was really good. the boss was really good but i died right on the last limb so i didn't get to see the whole level but i'll come back to it sooner or later. i liked the smoke at the village cause it made the village look desallant (can't spell it) and dusty. the level it's self was well designed and worked together with everything else. i really can't think of anything with improving it(sorry). though the plants thats used to kill the basilisks didn't look much like a plant.

when you can can you give some feedback on epic journey part 2 (play part one please so you'll know whats going on). thanks
    My levels:
    Epic journey part 1 ,Epic journey part 2-> the legend of the wizard (epic journey),Hanging coaster,weed killer,survival challenge- wheel of spinning,DB Dart Shooter- Mini Game

Loving the visuals on this level, the dark swampy visuals really work. I had to replay due to dying pathetically on the last boss, which is awesome BTW.

The platforming wasn't too bad, the set pieces with the boss and the sleeping basilisk were the highlights. I would've critisized the easier 'jump over some spikes' bits for being, well easy if the level wasn't so **** nice to look at. Though the difficulty for most of the level is a total contrast against the difficulty of the boss.

I've already stated how awesome the design of the boss battle is, it just brings up one con. It's very unforgiving when you're finishing him off, and he catches you unavoidably with the random gas shot attack. I'm not saying dumb it down, but the amount of lives average players would need to work out and defeat this boss isn't enough here. Possibly add another checkpoint on the right side of the boss?

Feel free to give feedback on my F4F level if ya want, that's just my two cents.
    PSN: kobrakai15. Levels: Maelstrom Runner - thread <--- please look, it's oh so lonely...
    F4F:The Islands, Endurance Dojo; Further training - thread
    I throw Toblerone at pigeons.

It's a little hard to tell.... I like figuring things out, but I know a lot of players in LBP don't. It took me a minute to figure out what to do after grabbing the different sections (I couldn't see the area over the boss that I had to use to dump to poison on him). Maybe after you grab all the sections you could do a cut scene camera to the area above the boss.
    I thought about that, but I was a bit worried that the player may get killed accidently during the cutscene. I'll take a look though.

Quote Originally Posted by Entity View Post
    The room with the sleeping basilisk is quite hard to get into. You've got to time that jump perfectly Maybe you should delay the springboard to activate shortly after the smoke.
    When the boss's armour has been removed, the rate he fires spikes from his shoulders increases, leaving you more vulnerable, while you're hanging from the toxic plant. I'm pretty sure it was intentional, but it nearly took all my lives.
    Thanks for all the great feedback! I do understand that the jump to that room is hard, but I kind of like it that way. It's not necessary to go there, so I figured those who want to figure out the timing can be nicely rewarded with a few extra points.

The firing rate of his spikes is intentional, but this is a section that I am open to tweaking. I don't want it to be too frustrating, but at the same time, I don't want the players just hanging there with nothing to worry about. I will continue to tweak and see if I can find a rate of fire that is a good balance from where I have it now. Thanks again!

Quote Originally Posted by superBlast View Post
    this is a really great level. the basilisks (which i thought was mythical snakes, oh well) and the people and all the visuals and lighting was really good. the boss was really good but i died right on the last limb so i didn't get to see the whole level but i'll come back to it sooner or later. i liked the smoke at the village cause it made the village look desallant (can't spell it) and dusty. the level it's self was well designed and worked together with everything else. i really can't think of anything with improving it(sorry). though the plants thats used to kill the basilisks didn't look much like a plant.

when you can can you give some feedback on epic journey part 2 (play part one please so you'll know whats going on). thanks
    Basilisks have been portrayed differently by various cultures. I think a lot of people assume it's a snake like creature due to it's appearance in the Harry Potter novel, but it's also been portrayed as a lizard like creature.

I'm not that happy with my "plant" either, so I'll continue to work on it. Thanks for your feedback. I'll try and give your epic journey series some feedback later this weekend.

Quote Originally Posted by kobrakai15 View Post
    The platforming wasn't too bad, the set pieces with the boss and the sleeping basilisk were the highlights. I would've critisized the easier 'jump over some spikes' bits for being, well easy if the level wasn't so **** nice to look at. Though the difficulty for most of the level is a total contrast against the difficulty of the boss.

I've already stated how awesome the design of the boss battle is, it just brings up one con. It's very unforgiving when you're finishing him off, and he catches you unavoidably with the random gas shot attack. I'm not saying dumb it down, but the amount of lives average players would need to work out and defeat this boss isn't enough here. Possibly add another checkpoint on the right side of the boss?

Feel free to give feedback on my F4F level if ya want, that's just my two cents.
    Thanks for your comments. As Entity mentioned in his feedback, the rate of fire for the spikes does increase once his armor is removed. I am still tinkering with this and that may have resulted in some rather unfortunate deaths. I will take the addition of another checkpoint under consideration as well. I really like for my levels to be on the easier, more casual side.

I'll be sure to check out your level and leave some feedback.

Again, thanks to all those who have left feedback. I will play and leave feedback on all your levels asap.

Played this last night, here are some thoughts:

If I were to describe your style in 3 words they would be refined, artistic and polished. In both of your levels you take a small group of materials and implement them perfectly. Every element is well thought out and a lot of care has went into all the different aspects of your creation.

Immediately upon starting the level your "wind" really set the tone and I knew I was in for something special. I have never seen rockets used in such a way before and the effect was amazing.

Your tribesman were the best human characters I have ever seen in LBP, period. They all look different and I really admired small details like the tribal tatoos. Truly incredible stuff. This also applies to your basilisks which are probably the most visually appealing enemies I have seen in LBP. Of course my favorite was the sleeping one but they all look great.

The atmosphere of the bog was executed perfectly with dripping "slime" (ingenious use of painballs btw) subtle lighting, swampy areas and gas vents. You really nailed it.

For the most part I really enjoyed the gameplay. As with Mulberry Woods you have a cool chase sequence here and a few other cool parts to keep the player entertained. I thought your use of paint as venom from a flower to fight tha first boss was really clever and it was cool how you unlocked the Tribesman from his cage. I also enjoyed the basilisks breaking through the walls as I made my descent on the balls of sponge, very cool. My only minor complaint is that there is a lot of swinging across things which isn't too original but when a level is this beautiful and this well executed then trust me, it's not a big deal.

The design of your boss was one of the best I have seen in LBP. The idea of removing his armor was great and the method of damaging him was also very original. I did have to restart once because of those deadly spikes he shoots out so maybe another checkpoint on the other side of his body could help.

Overall this was an amazing level that everybody needs to play. 5 stars and hearted and I eagerly await your next creation.

*EDIT* One suggestion: color your checkpoints
    Last edited by OCK; 02-14-2009 at 03:23 AM.
    I use Feedback4Feedback

Published Levels: Pulse - 218 - The Legion - Out of Africa

New Release: The Rose Garden

I'll play this later tonight, but I wanted to say that if there was a superteam of creators, I think you could be the character/monster designer. They are the best I have seen.
    Past Projects: Temple of Sun and Moon, H.A.T.E., H.A.T.E._2
    Current Project: None
    Backburner: Project Shipwreck (Working Title)

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast