BG1, PRELOAD BG2, PRELOAD

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default The Spirit Passage

The Spirit Passage by Aurongel
    Embark on an ethereal journey through a mountain deep in the wilderness. Explore the mysterious crystalline caverns, see the ancient waterfalls, and even explore the ruins of a forgotten windmill leaning in the mist.

Level originated from a freestyle art experiment that I started around a week ago, this level is a spiritual successor of sorts to my previous artistic vision, "LittleBigFallout". While similar in artistic fidelity, The Spirit Passage instead focuses on ruined architecture set in a natural environment, rather than the harsh urban mayhem in my previous work. This level took about 2 hours of planning/drawing (concept art), and around 5 hours of building to complete.

This level is based around my love of windmills, waterfalls, caverns, and ruins. I also experimented with real-time weather effects, dramatic lighting, and surround sound design. If possible, I'd recommend playing this level on an HDTV with headphones and the volume turned up. I spent a great amount of time of not only obvious artistic detail, but also on ambient sound design. One area of the level specifically creaks and moans on its own, without any input from the player at all. It's quite a strange feeling when you stand still, and sound effects are triggered in the echoing distance without any player input. I plan on using this design style in my future work...

Another primary focus in the artistic design of this level revolves around the use of lights to achieve an ambient affect. One of the most obvious instances of this art style are the candles that decorate the level throughout. The candles use two lights, one yellow, and one orange, with the orange being larger in field, and the yellow being smaller yet brighter. Combined, these two lights achieve a new flame effect not used in many levels.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Looks good. I'll have to try it out.

LBPCentral Spotlight Crew Kartavitalicious! Night Angel's Avatar
    Level completed: 7%, Points required for next Level: 844
    Overall activity: 41.0%

PSN
    NightAngel321
    Blog Entries

Same here. I love aesthetic levels and I'm sure this one won't disappoint. I'll give this one some feedback after I play it.

"Staring at Craftworld and creating unfinished levels since 2008."
    ★| The Space Temples Saga (Vita) | ★Journey of the Cosmos★ |★

Sackperson Private

PSN
    NinjaMicWZ
    Blog Entries

This is a beautiful level... maybe top 5 as far as looks are concerned, especially for fantasy levels, and I'd be proud to call it my own. The windmill tower, with it's ruined bookcases and collapsed ceilings is so intricate and nuanced... masterful work.

The level is a little quiet, and pensive... no real action or points, so it will probably bore alot of people, but being the quiet, eye-candy afficianado that I am, I really appreciate it, and I know from experience that when you make your level look really gorgeous, you can't fit pointless points (pun intended) and a brain on wheels for fun... You'd have to be blind not to see the care and time taken with this one, and not realize that this looks better than most other levels.

Waterfall was beautiful... best one I've seen that's actually been used in a level, great use of camera and sounds (sounds throughout the whole level are used well)

I was playing with a party of 3 and ran into alot of problems with plane shifting because of the nature of the environment, and some issues with invisible dark matter walls... but when I slowed down a little, it became easy to deal with.

It was short, but sweet. I gave it 5 stars and a heart because I love this kind of stuff. Good work, and I will be checking out your other stuff, and looking forward to more.
    Last edited by NinjaMicWZ; 07-25-2009 at 05:28 AM.

LBPCentral Spotlight Crew Kartavitalicious! Night Angel's Avatar
    Level completed: 7%, Points required for next Level: 844
    Overall activity: 41.0%

PSN
    NightAngel321
    Blog Entries

Absolutely Beautiful! That's what a wrote in your level comments.

This level is gorgeous. The fog, darkness, and quiet atmosphere shroud your level in mystery. The intro was very lovely with the lighting and thunderstorm. You've used your planes VERY well and everything looked organic and stunning. The little house or cottage was very well presented with the toppling bookshelves and broken objects.

The waterfall is perhaps the best I've ever seen and the way you used the motion to capture its power was very original! The cave looked very organic with the way you've used your planes.

It's also not so bad having prizes that are useful, too!

and Hearts: You + Level

"Staring at Craftworld and creating unfinished levels since 2008."
    ★| The Space Temples Saga (Vita) | ★Journey of the Cosmos★ |★

Thanks for the feedback guys

My next level will be more traditional, and therefore; more fun :P
    | PSN: "Aurongel" | Steam: "Aurongel" | Gamertag: "Aurongel" | Aurongel's Youtube |

All I can say is... WOW
    Until now I thought i made detail levels, but u my friend... are ridiculous!
    This level is beautiful! I mean, I didn't even know what I was supposed to do, I was just admiring the scenery... My favorite has to be the waterfall and the fire at the beginning. I stared at that waterfall for like a minute straight, trying to figure out how you did it.. simply amazing..
    I do have to say that at times, the flow of the gameplay was a little off, because I really didn't know what to do or where to go..

But hey, you got a new fan!

& hearted

My F4f Level: The Descent

Sackperson Private hilightnotes's Avatar
    Level completed: 84%, Points required for next Level: 177
    Overall activity: 0%
    Your First Group 5000 Experience Points 1000 Experience Points 500 Experience Points 250 Experience Points
    PSN
    hilightnotes
    Blog Entries

Why is this not on Cool Levels yet??

I daresay this level is more beautiful than Starcruiser. Incredible graphics. Nothing crazy gameplay-wise, but it's a visual feast, and the gameplay is still good.

Create more! Create more!

5 stars and a heart/author heart.

Grand Den Mod-er of LBPC Morgana25's Avatar
    Level completed: 56%, Points required for next Level: 853

PSN
    Morgana25

You sir are a master of lighting Amazing atmosphere at the beginning and the end specifically. Just mesmerizing! Not much challenge but that's not an issue when graphics are the goal in my world. Lovely rendering of the cave shapes and material usage is great. The windmill is quirky and very interesting to explore although I do wish you had some secrets squirreled away in parts of it. I kept looking for some and found none.

Overall it's a visual feast and eye candy junkies are gonna love this. I gave it 5 stars & hearted it! Thank you for sharing it and I hope to see more of your work in the future!

sig by chuck_18mp illustration by TheZimInvader

Chroma Stone Chronicles Veriddian's Gem | Pyrra's Gem | Cerrulean's Gem | Irridia's Gem | Abyssia's Lair
    Dragons of Myth Egypt | Teotihuacan | Iceland | Greece
    Fire and Ice
    Sackrificed MM Picked! lbp.me link for Sackrificed

Morgana25 on lbp.me

Don't mess with Morgana or you get the wand

Quote Originally Posted by hilightnotes View Post
    I daresay this level is more beautiful than Starcruiser.
    You know what, I think I agree. That's not to say I don't find Starcruiser beautiful, but I'd take a natural environment over a cold, sterile spaceship any day. Seriously, this was a feast for both eyes and ears.

After playing this and LittleBigFallout, I can't wait your next "more traditional" level.

License to krill. Whalio Cappuccino's Avatar
    Level completed: 34%, Points required for next Level: 726
    7 days registered 10000 Experience Points 5000 Experience Points 1000 Experience Points 500 Experience Points
    PSN
    Whaale

Amazing, beautiful, stunning. I mean that's pretty much all I have to say.

One thing I found was a visible Global Lighting thing, right after the waterfall. So might want to get that fixed.

Once again, beautiful.

Gave it and a heart.

I just gave it a roll and, maaaaan, I really love it!
    I was really amazed.

On the positive side I can say that is very well built and detailed.
    I liked the way you lighted it and the chosen music fits perfectly.
    And there isn't much at all on the negatives.

A few suggestions:

Instead of the hanging red candles (i.e. the ones next to checkpoints), you might use the candle-flame glitch, imo it will look a lot nicer.

The camera in the building where you have to activate the giant mill, imho, is too close to the player, this make a little difficult to gadder in the building (sometimes i.e. when you climb to an higher floor).

Adding some rain?

Always imo, some emitted-glassy-lightnings in certain spots will add another fine touch (i.e. syncronized with the lightnings you made only with light).

And maybe you can add some stickered score bubbles here and there to encourage exploration.

Overall I really enjoyed the trip through the level.
    Very well done, congratz man!

& 2 (level and author)

F4F: The 7th Idol

Thanks for sharing this pleasant and gorgeus level.
    PSN ID: Miglioshin; Under construction:Platforms Madness 3; I'M IN F4F

I think I was the first to play and leave feedback online on your level and it really was a great find. I hope you continue to republish it to allow more people who aren't on the forums to experience it though. congrats again.

Sackperson Lieutenant
    Level completed: 95%, Points required for next Level: 86
    Your First Group 10000 Experience Points 5000 Experience Points 1000 Experience Points 500 Experience Points
    PSN
    OmegaSlayer
    Blog Entries

Holy ****!!!
    Wonderful level!
    Really artistic, and well done, great use of lighting and materials.

The only point I have to rise is that the mill section is a bit random, since you push/pull all the switch without a clear reason.

5 stars anyway.

Sig by FJT

Absolutely beautiful! The detail that you managed to squeeze into this is just amazing. The destroyed windmill was gorgeous and your use of sound effects really enhanced the experience.

The level was very short and there wasn't a whole lot to do, but I felt that the visuals were enough to entertain and enthrall me. My only complaint is that some areas felt a bit too cramped and I found myself getting stuck or not being able to see what I was doing quite a bit.

Other than that, I found the level to be a little short and light on gameplay, but oozing atmosphere! I loved it!

Level completed: 51%, Points required for next Level: 442
    Recommendation Second Class 10000 Experience Points 5000 Experience Points 1000 Experience Points 500 Experience Points
    PSN
    MrsSpookyBuz
    Blog Entries

Where visual artistry and atmosphere go, this level is a real treat. The lighting, the sound effects, the serene yet foreboding mood are all very well realised. The windmill was particularly impressive.

I realise that there has to be a comprimise, and all this undoubted skill and detail came at the cost of gameplay. I didn't feel like I had much to do. Now, people will say that it isn't 'that kind of level', and I'd agree to a certain extent. However, the claustrophobia that was very much part of the overall mood seemed to spill over into a good deal of plane-shifting. Maybe I was unlucky, or unskilled, but I seemed to find nearly every nook and cranny, and ended up squashed into small areas, which lost the mood a little for me.

As we've discussed in the past, the perfect level would look as good as this, be twice as long, and have three times as many things to do. But we haven't got space for that (or at least, no one has found a way to do it), so we're left with a decision as to what kind of level we make.

Visually, this level was outstanding, but with the lack of gameplay and slightly awkward movements in places, I thought it was simply a tranquil, enjoyable ramble.

Little Big Aquarium | Darkness Falls | Dragon Rider 1, 2 & 3 | The Sandcastle (spotlighted!)
    Hyper Cube (Mm Pick!) | Hyper Cube 2 | Hyper Cube 3 | Hyper Cube Frenzy (spotlighted!)
    Hyper Sphere (spotlighted!) | Hyper Sphere Revolution (spotlighted!) | Hyper Sphere Pandemonium (spotlighted!)
    Project GENESIS: Prelude (spotlighted!) | Project GENESIS: Requiem (spotlighted!)

MrsSpookyBuz: YouTube Channel

Sackperson Lieutenant
    Your First Group 10000 Experience Points 5000 Experience Points 1000 Experience Points 500 Experience Points
    PSN
    OmegaSlayer
    Blog Entries

Thugh I quote your post for 100% truth, MrsSpookyBuz, I think that Aurongel delivered the exact thing he wanted to do, since if you play his other Fallout level, you understand that the man knows his stuff, he knows how to work with the pop it and he has good gameplay.

So, kudos for what he has done, a magnificient breathtaking level.

And it's the beauty of LBP, walking between those awesome landscapes of fighting with only 4 lives in the punishing Contra level.

Sig by FJT

Level completed: 51%, Points required for next Level: 442
    Recommendation Second Class 10000 Experience Points 5000 Experience Points 1000 Experience Points 500 Experience Points
    PSN
    MrsSpookyBuz
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by OmegaSlayer View Post
    Thugh I quote your post for 100% truth, MrsSpookyBuz, I think that Aurongel delivered the exact thing he wanted to do, since if you play his other Fallout level, you understand that the man knows his stuff, he knows how to work with the pop it and he has good gameplay.

So, kudos for what he has done, a magnificient breathtaking level.

And it's the beauty of LBP, walking between those awesome landscapes of fighting with only 4 lives in the punishing Contra level.
    Please don't get me wrong, it's a beautiful level, as I said. And I'm sure that Aurongel knows what he is doing, and knows what he wanted from this level.

I'm only offering my view of this level, and not of the author.

Little Big Aquarium | Darkness Falls | Dragon Rider 1, 2 & 3 | The Sandcastle (spotlighted!)
    Hyper Cube (Mm Pick!) | Hyper Cube 2 | Hyper Cube 3 | Hyper Cube Frenzy (spotlighted!)
    Hyper Sphere (spotlighted!) | Hyper Sphere Revolution (spotlighted!) | Hyper Sphere Pandemonium (spotlighted!)
    Project GENESIS: Prelude (spotlighted!) | Project GENESIS: Requiem (spotlighted!)

MrsSpookyBuz: YouTube Channel

Sackperson Lieutenant
    PSN
    OmegaSlayer
    Blog Entries

Maybe I sounded too rude, I only pointed that I'm quite sure he accomplished what he wanted to do, and for me, as an unskilled creator, is a great point.
    As I said I think that the level has some minor flaws, like in the mill, but overall it was a beautiful experience that granted more than one OMG! moment.

Sig by FJT

I've recently been informed that my name and this level was mentioned in the July 28'th SackCast Podcast

I know I'm a little late to finding this out, but I've been getting numerous PSN messages from SC listeners showing interest in this level

So, once again; I'd like to thank SackCast for the 20 seconds of fame, and the comparisons to the infamous Starcruiser.

Needless to say, I am quite honored and thankful to SackCast for the favorable mention
    | PSN: "Aurongel" | Steam: "Aurongel" | Gamertag: "Aurongel" | Aurongel's Youtube |

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast