BG1, PRELOAD BG2, PRELOAD

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: The Office.

Default The Office.

Just wondering who else watches this? I don't get to watch it regularily but I love this show; my best friend DVR's it so he usually has me watch the newest episodes.

My recent favorite one is when Dwight faked the fire drill because no one paid attention for the fire saftey meeeting. he ended up cutting off the face of a CPR doll thing and putting it on his face and doing the silence of the lambs thing lol.

My Zombie Saga--Epic Zombie Saga
    -------My Levels---------
    Zompocolypse: Life After Z-Day

Quote Originally Posted by Hamsalad View Post
    My recent favorite one is when Dwight...

Ah, you mean The Office USA. Your thread title is misleading.
    I can't go on, these limbs have grown too heavy.

Level completed: 83%, Points required for next Level: 142
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    7 days registered 5000 Experience Points 1000 Experience Points 500 Experience Points 250 Experience Points
    PSN
    supersickie

My recent favorite one is when Dwight faked the fire drill...
    "Today, cigarettes are going to save lives!"

Quote Originally Posted by Winston-Smith View Post

I saw the title The Office and immediatly thought of Steve Carrell, so I didn't find it misleading at all.

I've watched both Offices UK (its whole 2 seasons) and been keeping up with the US version every thursday night. Honestly the UK version isn't funny in the slightest, compared to the US version. The US version capitalizes on awkward situations, and the UK version is just dull, like a straight documentary of an office in the UK. Watch the first episode, supposedly monumental, and watch the classic jello stapler and how the sales rep reacts and is more concerned with office property, how is that funny? Dwight/Jim do it so much better.

Also, Ricky Gervais humor seems so forced in The Office, a sign of bad acting imo. It just doesnt/didnt work for him. He fit the role.. but couldn't act it.

If you havnt seen alot of the office, you can really make assumptions from comparing these two videos

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cOkxLvFQQXE"]YouTube - The Office UK - Jelly Stapler[/ame]

well i was gonna post the link from the american version, but youtube is being OCD about copywritten videos again

I'm going to have to contest this. I believe that whether or not my title is misleading is going to be culturally biased. For me being from the USA alls i've really known IS the US Office, I did watch some episodes of the english one and didn't really care for it that much.

And also the US one has been running for 5 seasons now. And el oh el at super sickie

Quote Originally Posted by HalfaSack View Post
    The US version capitalizes on awkward situations, and the UK version is just dull, like a straight documentary of an office in the UK.
    The Point ------> *

You --------> *

And also the US one has been running for 5 seasons now
    It's also terrible. The Office USA is actually nothing like The Office in terms of humour. But like you say, it's a cultural thing. The only thing America is good at is satire.

I'm really not sure how that it was so great and only lasted 2 seasons. And I don't really get english humor that much it just seems really dry and...not that funny to me. Not sure what to call it even. But oh well I guess, the American show appears to still be running strong.

no offense to anyone here although im sure you will be offended, I know a lot of you are from the UK. It's just my preference obviously, I usually laugh histerically from things like Family Guy / The US Office and just don't find English humor funny at all in comparision. I also love Seinfield.

I enjoy both versions. I think the US version became a much better show once it started doing it's own thing, rather than trying to be an exact replica of the British version.

The Point ------> *

You --------> *

It's also terrible. The Office USA is actually nothing like The Office in terms of humour. But like you say, it's a cultural thing. The only thing America is good at is satire.

I'd say I hit the point dead on. The UK office is dull and boring, and the awkward situations... are actual awkward situations from an office. Part of the US office charm is the outlandish humor and impossible situations. Obviously dwight/michael would have been fired in... season 1?

Every time I have this discusion American humor is always insulted on a whole. Its pretty a pretty tired arguement, when none can explain why the UK office lasts for 2 seasons yet US goes for 5? If the UK version is a fine example of UK humor on a whole, and it only lasted for 2 seasons, what does that say?

Nobody wants to watch how an actual office works for crying out loud...

Quote Originally Posted by mrsupercomputer View Post
    I enjoy both versions. I think the US version became a much better show once it started doing it's own thing, rather than trying to be an exact replica of the British version.
    ya i definately agree, after the first two seasons they started doing their own thing and I think it got much funnier.

If the UK version is a fine example of UK humor on a whole, and it only lasted for 2 seasons, what does that say?
    There wasn't a 3rd season because Gervais & Merchant didn't want to do a 3rd season. As simple as that really. It wasn't cancelled, the creators wanted to do something else (i.e. Extras). A lot of great shows only have a few seasons. Guess Americans have never heard of the saying "Quit while you're ahead". =P

I guess American show creators are creative / good enough to stay ahead for more than two seasons. I don't want to be pulling these punches but you arn't giving me another option. Seinfield for example ran forever...not exactly sure how long, friends, family guy, simpsons, the office is at 5 seasons now, Lost is on season 5 or 6... There are alot of shows; you can't use that excuse of quitting while your ahead well you can it just isn't very flattering for them.
    Last edited by Hamsalad; 03-03-2009 at 04:53 PM.

I guess American show creators are creative / good enough to stay ahead for more than two seasons. I don't want to be pulling these punches but you arn't giving me another option. Seinfield for example ran forever...not exactly sure how long, friends, family guy, simpsons, the office is at 5 seasons now. There are alot of shows; you can't use that excuse of quitting while your ahead well you can it just isn't very flattering for them.
    Seinfield, The Simpsons, Family Guy and Friends all got worse as they went on. The Simpsons especially is terrible now. It's also got nothing to do with being creative (every episode of Friends is basically the same, haha Petter and Homer are dumb, wow that Kramer sure is zany!).

Creating more than one good show = creativity. Joey =/= creativity. The Cleveland Show =/= creativity. There's nothing creative about having the SAME CHARACTERS in the SAME SITUATIONS for YEARS. Creating a number of good shows = creativity.

Compare what Jerry Seinfield has written to what Ricky Gervais has written.

14. Thanks!

Their so creative they kept it pumping for 2 seasons.

Maybe the UK isn't ahead like you'd like to think? Perhaps they need to catch up and start re writting the same old same old as you think it all is... because doing the same thing over and over obviously has lead to success Eg. 5 seasons of the same old crap is still going strong where creativity in every episode lasted 2 seasons.

Their so creative they kept it pumping for 2 seasons.
    *They're. Their is possessive i.e. That is their ball. They're is short for They are, as in They are (They're) so creative.

Perhaps you should learn English, maybe then you'll be able to read what I wrote explaining why they only did two seasons.

/change thread title

American TV Vrs British TV

*They're. Their is possessive i.e. That is their ball. They're is short for They are, as in They are (They're) so creative.

Perhaps you should learn English, maybe then you'll be able to read what I wrote explaining why they only did two seasons.

Alright, I'll take the gloves off.

So you mean to tell me I put you down so hard you resort to minor grammar errors and personal attacks? You act like what I wrote was so messed up that you couldn't get the point i was trying to get across. Oh, I think you did.

Ya I would contest that they are obviously doing something right lasting over twice , three times or more as long as the UK office. Perhaps it's just you / a small minority that feels that way because clearly the majority or a large enough number of people don't to keep the shows going.

I would also contest that they it is hardly not the same exact scenario, obviously the characters stay the same...thats the premise of a show; same characters just diferrent scenarios. People grow to know and love these characters.

If they were exactly the same scenarios as you've over simplified them to be I highly doubt people would continue to watch them. South Park is still going extremely strong because they use the same characters but base their episodes off of current events (which gives them unlimited material)

[Edit]: And yes he clearly got your point, and decided to pick on things other than your point to avoid it.

I smell smelly.
    Level completed: 69%, Points required for next Level: 217
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Your First Group 5000 Experience Points 1000 Experience Points 500 Experience Points 250 Experience Points
    PSN
    joeandbob22

I don't care for the US Office, therefore I'd rather not make a big block of writing explaining my reasons just to get another block of text in defence.

Ricky Gervais = Win.

if someone just states their opinion thats fine. I don't care i'm not going to try to sell them on it. BUT, if they state their opinion and also put down my culture or my country then I will go up in arms and post a wall of defense.

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 ... LastLast