BG1, PRELOAD BG2, PRELOAD

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Beep beep boop, the Tuesday Takeaway.

Toggle Temple - RamBoo20

There was no temple here. This seems to come up fairly often. Maybe this is the universe's revenge for my own unusual naming conventions. Not to much to say about this one that hasn't been already, it's a decent Toggle Level. Of course, this makes it a bit of a rarity, which probably makes it look nicer than it really is.

Bottom of the Beast - doomymood

i think KG nailed one of the appealing points of this one, it is very Story-mode-esque. i'm not going to say one style of level is necessarily better than another. i like levels that try something different, or present something completely unlike LBP; but still what originally attracted me to LBP was the image and feel of story mode, and i still really appreciate levels that can pull that off, not only in presentation, but feeling as well. "Bottom..." does this really well. Also, my brain keeps insisting i call this "Belly of the Beast." i know why it's doing this, but it's still annoying.

Chronometer - physicslike

This one was the real disappointment of the episode. i really, really wanted to like it much more. It just pounds on my clockwork fetish. But i could not find the seam to engage with the stage. The 3d movement was probably as smooth as could be pulled off, but that's not particularly smooth. i agree that the background is a little more flat than i could be as well, but the not being able to progress is the real stickler.

A Tomb With A View - SLS10

The title is clever. In fact, the whole stage is filled with cleverness. How well you react to that will depend on your sense of humour. To be honest, i felt it kind of wore out its welcome a bit by the end, but the puzzle aspect kept me engaged. Of course then came the grappling hook thing...man, what was up with that?

Specify Gravity - actio1_618

i think i said everything i needed about this one in the episode. This is just a straight, fun level. Quite challenging, great fully-integrated mechanic. i actually want to go back and try to up my score, and i almost never feel like that.

So...the takeaway is a bit sparse this time around, but i think we got most everything covered in episode. All in all fun, worthwhile, or worthwhile and fun. They definitely deserve a good look.

This week's episode is in the can and loaded up, Whew...think this might make four months worth. Still having trouble wrapping my head around that. Thanks a lot everyone! i couldn't keep this up without all of you!
    Almost back, so excited.

2. Thanks!

Level completed: 91%, Points required for next Level: 89
    Overall activity: 23.0%
    7 days registered 1000 Experience Points 500 Experience Points 250 Experience Points 100 Experience Points
    PSN
    waffle_king23

Heyas and good morning, all!

This week's episode is piping hot over here
    This time around we're taking a look at

Nocturne - t567y-
    Levitation - XREMILIO7
    Cavern of Wonder - perfectnothing00
    Garden Valley - TwisterKiller70
    Big Mysterious Factory World - Volna-Grafka

Definitely an...eclectic set this go around, but definitely fun to be had. We're up a little early this week, because i'm actually putting finishing touches on next week's episode. i know, shocking, right? i may for once actually have a little backlog buffer to work with.

As always, thanks for all the support and feedback. i wouldn't be doing this if it weren't for all of you! Hope you have a great morning!
    Almost back, so excited.

4. Thanks!

German Community Moderator CuriousSack's Avatar
    Level completed: 54%, Points required for next Level: 885
    Overall activity: 100.0%
    100 Experience Points 7 days registered 250 Experience Points 30 days registered 500 Experience Points
    PSN
    CuriousSack
    Blog Entries

Hahaha, you're definitely the reason, why my queue is...omg! I just can't see its end anymore!
    Thanks a lot and many greetings, Jürgen^^

6. Thanks!

7 days registered 1000 Experience Points 500 Experience Points 250 Experience Points 100 Experience Points
    PSN
    waffle_king23

Hah! Mine's gotten super big too, since starting this. Hope the levels, and the weekend, were fun!

Man, this week has been so weird.

Anyway, beep beep boop, the Tuesday Takeaway!

Nocture - t567-
    Looking back, i feel a little on the fence with my rating for this one. Really, it would be better applied to the following level in the series. Looking at Nocturne in isolation, it does an extremely good job of walking the player through the new mechanic, presenting a nice scaling of difficulty on the obstacles; it's just that the difficulty spikes pretty hard almost right out of the gate in the next one, and that coloured my perception some. i do think if you get used to it quick enough, you'll have a good time here.
    On the other hand, the presentation is a bit muffed. The background was nice, if simple, but deadly gas was a bit of an odd stand in for rock. The locked side camera made it seem like t567y was looking to evoke an old-school 2d feel, but in that case, it probably would've been better to make things even more heavily stylized. The dead zone effect for the areas Stella couldn't enter were kind of cool, though.

Levitation - XREMILIO7
    i think i will always have a soft spot for well-done, fling-you-around-like-a-rag-doll-style levels, and this one is a great example of the breed. Nicely presented as far as materials and (very limited) decos, enough to give a sense of theme, not so much as to distract or cause heavy lag.
    Interestingly, Emilio dropped a comment on the video, saying it'd originally been done in LBP2, but the transfer to 3broke it somehow. i'm not sure he did a full rework, or just repairs. i mention this because i finally got around to playing Kaleida's Maze, which is still LBP2, and seems slightly wonky in 3. It definitely didn't run as smoothly i remember Riki's levels usually having done.

Cavern of Wonder - perfectnothing00
    You certainly could do worse for a level than this one. Some time has clearly gone into making a cohesive environment, even if i don't think it was perfectly nailed. The inclusion of those line-drawn fish was charming, and i really think the crystal hazards were a good choice. One thing about that section, though. i'm not sure if it wad intended or not, but those platforms will tilt if you jump on them wrong. It felt a little weird. Also, the electricity creeping up the boulders you ride up on seems like it could have been done more smoothly. It's so clearly sectioned. Maybe adding a few more panels, overlapping them, and having the sequencer trigger more than one at a time could have sold the illusion a little better. i almost feel like kitting something up myself to see.

Garden Valley - TwisterKiller70
    This one's pretty well covered already, and a second playthrough didn't change my feelings much. Even though the environment was heavily decorated, and had a strong sense of place, pulling the camera closer to the player would've definitely helped the gameplay. Your sackthing can get lost kind of easily. Also, why x and triangle? That was a right pain to trigger when i needed. Still, it was nice the effort was made to spice up gameplay, and i do think this one was pretty fun. Oh, one thing, a secrets counter at the end would've been nice. i thought i was being thourough, but i can't escape the feeling i'd missed an egg or two.

Big Mysterious Factory World - volna-grafka
    i stand by my assertion that this one is, in the main, ugly and unfun. There was one stand-out bit we didn't see in the video; before the end there's a bit where you're being chased by these electrified sackbots. It's quite creepy, they're...centurion-like. Still, it's too little pay off for the effort. On the other hand, v-g continued creating, and, as suggested, i checked out their most recent level (prior to the Jserver shut down). i think it's called Boltnut Industries? There is a night and day difference. Boltnut has a very well-realized factory environment, 3d movement similar to that Clockwork episode we looked at last week(?), actual puzzles & gameplay. It was too difficult for me to finish, i had the same difficulties judging jumps, but it's still an excellent level worth a good look at.

So...that's the that. Like i said previously, i got the next episode finished Friday, so i've had a little extra time setting up things for this week, and for the future. Almost done with Isaac daily recordings as well, so that'll free up some extra time/headspace. With luck, i should be able to keep up a week's buffer. i might even put together a level, i've already startedtoying atound with a few elements. i make no promises, it's just a possibility.

One last thing. i'm wondering if there's not some Jungian ur-consciousness among LBPers recently. i've seen levels i'll be showing next Friday's episode pop up on friend's recent activities feed. LSRS has shown levels i've recorded right before i put my episode out. It's not some big deal or anything, it's more of a "get out of my brain or pay rent." So weird (note, i don't do emoji, so understand i'm smiling here).

Thanks for everything, folks! Got to get back to the working soon, so i'm off. Have a great day!
    Almost back, so excited.

8. Thanks!

PSN
    waffle_king23

Guten Morgen!

We're back at ya's over here.

This week we're taking a look at:

Cookie Cave - TheJacka369led-
    The STEAMPUNK Factory - SUPER__HIIVA
    Surrounded By Sea - Snakke_Rus
    unter Strom - baekos2507
    Evergreen Grapple - CB7thSun

It's an interesting mix of levels this go around. Weird to have gotten the episode done a week ahead. On the one hand, there was less pressure to get next week's done (which let me get something a little different put together). On the other...it felt...strange? Also, having it all wrapped up, and then seeing the levels pop up elsewhere...that was really weird. In the end i think having the buffer is important enough to try to keep it, but i'm going to have to get used to it.

As always, i hope these are pointing out something that looks interesting to play. It's been a blast so far, and that's all down to y'all. Thanks for all the support, and have a great day!

Now to get back to beating on some robots.
    Almost back, so excited.

100 Experience Points 7 days registered 250 Experience Points 30 days registered 500 Experience Points
    PSN
    CuriousSack
    Blog Entries

Hahaha, also Guten Morgen to you!

spring has come to Bavaria with really warm 25°C (consider its just end of March!), best conditions for outdoor activities and some fine level playing in the evening!

Have a fine weekend and many greetings, Jürgen^^

11. Thanks!

PSN
    waffle_king23

Ahh, Spring. It's getting to be just about perfect over here. Hope you enjoy the weekend, and the levels. Evergreen grappler is definitely the most fun of the lot.
    Almost back, so excited.

13. Thanks!

Again thanks for sharing, you help me find some good levels.

PSN
    waffle_king23

Beep beep boop, back with another Tuesday Takeaway.

Cookie Cave - TheJacka369led-
    Mum always said if you can't say something nice, you probably ought not say anything. Still...i did kind of make a job of it. We've got a bit of a prefect storm of poor design choices here, the pulled out cameras, overuse of only slightly differentiated materials, monkeybars (because, of course, monkeybars), and a camera flip. On the other hand, you can say, at least, Jacka's trying a few non-standard things, as opposed to all collected objects, or something like that. The stage was built, and some simple logic involved. There was definitely some effort put in here, which is more than you can say for a lot of levels.

The STEAMPUNK Factory - SUPER__HIIVA
    Found myself liking this one a bit more my third go around. It's simlple and short, the presentation could be crufted up a bit more, but what's there works, and there are some nice little touches here and there. The killer vent area could be made a bit more clear, but other eise there aren't huge faes in the obstacles or machinery. That being said, a few touch-ups to seal off level breaks wouldn't be a bad idea, particularly with the layer-changing launcher. Those things always seem to cause trouble.

Surrounded by Sea - Snakke_Rus
    i had no idea, but you can kinda, sorta control the camera here by holding down R2 or L2 and adjusting with the R-pad. It didn't perfectly solve the issues we saw in the video, but they were a little more manageable. That or Snakke did some work on the cameras since we recorded, i hadn't thought to look at the last publish date when i played this morning. At any rate, had fun exploring the environment, but there were still some areas i couldn't figure out how to unlock. i'll have to come back here when i'm a little less busy. Still, that alone puts this level fairly high in my books.

unter Strom - baekos2507
    Still like the concept of this level, there's a lot to do and find, which is a style we see more often in more slow-paced levels. Did run into a few issues this go around. There was an air pipe i was supposed to be transported through where i wasn't. Not sure what caused the trigger to fail there, this time. i guess even with level testing, you can't catch every little thing. i will say, even though i liked the music, it didn't leave me feeling all that hyped up, though.

Evergreen grapple - CB7thSUN
    Not much new to say here. CB nails the presentation, and the grappling is a lot of fun. i suppose i'm a sucker for good grappling hook levels, and retro levels, so, basically all my positive buttons are getting slammed here. The timing in the electric pigeon section is pretty frustrating, though; i suppose there is that.

So...that's it for this week. The next episode is all wrapped up, though it took longer than expected. Started to kit together the intro/outro for the next, and if i'm very lucky, i can have it done by Thursday. Might be asking a bit much, life always starts moving a bit more quickly once Spring rolls in, which it definitely has. Will have to dash a little to get a little extra buffer in, there's always something that comes up in Summer.

As always thank you, all, for the support. It's hard to believe this Friday's going to make 20weeks already. Truly time files like an arrow, though fruit flies like a banana.
    Almost back, so excited.

16. Thanks!

PSN
    waffle_king23

Alright, just in time for the start of Spring, new episode is blooming here.

This week, we're taking a look at

Breath of Life - Pan_Ziemniak
    Suds 'N' Floods - QuantumGroove
    Artworker! - NicklasStudios
    Kuck mal, wer da piepst! - Melli-Tierchen
    Melody of Chaos - The-RraptOrr

Tried a few new things out this go around, don't know what i'll keep, and what'll get jettisoned. Pretty happy with how most everything turned out, though. Well, except having forgotten to turn off the camera option on Mei's text, so it letterboxes when she talks. i knew it was happening, but i didn't figure out the reason until i was working on next week's episode, by which time i was too busy to go back and do a full re-record (well, i probably could've, but it would've been more trouble than worth, in the end).

The levels are another fun mix, though i'm starting to think i really need to work on my German/Eastern European language pronunciations. i've the feeling i'm mangling people's names, and that's something that drives me up the wall when it happens to me.

Behind the scenes note: i'm about ready to get started recording next week's episode. i swear, probably somewhere around episode 50or so, i'll finally settle on a consistent way to get my dialogue bits triggered. i feel like i'm doing it different every week. This time around, my brain decided we needed to hybridize (i think there was a camera placement issue, that i wouldn't even needed to worry about if i'd just put in some sticker panels to represent after movement placement). Feh... still, we're more than well on track to get things wrapped up on time, so that's ok.

As always, thanks to all of you! Glad you're having fun with the episodes; and i hope you're giving some of these levels a go, they're really quite fun.

Y'all have a great day!
    Almost back, so excited.

18. Thanks!

PSN
    CuriousSack
    Blog Entries

Just right for weekend! I'm curious about the "Kuck mal, wer da piepst?" level, cause its rather seldom to find a level with a German title!
    Thanks again, what would we do without your recommendations!...what have we done before you posted your recommendations?? I can't remember!

Have a fine weekend and many greetings, Jürgen^^

20. Thanks!

PSN
    waffle_king23

Yeah, i ran into a batch of German levels a bit back, though they don't usually title them in German. i tried to run this week's through google translate, but...what came back didn't make a lot of sense. The level was good fun, though, so i've no complaints.

Thanks for all the support! Have a great weekend!
    Almost back, so excited.

22. Thanks!

PSN
    CuriousSack
    Blog Entries

Hahaha, google translate...I also have some experience with sense-free translations! Have a fine Sunday and many greetings, Jürgen^^

PSN
    waffle_king23

Beedie beedie beedie, Tuesday Takeaway time!

Actually, not much of a Takeaway this go around, the levels this week were very wysiwyg.

Breath of Life - Pan_Ziemniak

i really wish there'd been a little more Pumpinator in this one. It doesn't really warrant existence as it is now, you only use it for one progression point, and one bonus bubble. To be honest, i'm not sure i've seen a community level that really makes the Pumpinator sing. Snookie (Shookie?) has some levels with it, i know; they've been kind of on my backburner for awhile.

Breath of Life makes pretty good use out of the Boost Boots; heck, i didn't hate using them here, which is a huge rarity. Still, Boost Boots and Hero Cape...they're everywhere.

This time i made sure not to move when using the layer launchers, so i didn't fall out of stage there. On the other hand, there were some hanging nets i had to grab and climb, and for some reason jumping off them landed me in an layer i shouldn't have been in. Don't know what was up there.

Suds 'N' Floods - QuantumGroove

We've seen this level's ilk before. i should really take a look at QG's other levels and see if they improved on their technique, or this is how they like building. i got to those laser hazards, and i think, maybe i got them figured out. There're rotating, spatula-looking things in that area that might block whatever's killing the player. i say might, because it worked twice, and then it didn't. Plus, i suppose moving bits don't always need to be synced up, but...it does make it a little easier to put together a cause-effect pattern to grapple with obstacles.

Artworker! - NicklasStudios

This one is a little weird, as i mentioned in the episode. The two level archetypes presented are just so far from eachother. The playroom section being passably decent, but still looking like an early stab at level building, with all the collected objects and goofy enemies that implies. Backgrounds borrowed like in a Japanese garden. Secrets that may not, in fact, be secrets, but necessary elements for progression. Then you get that slick, stylized, clearly measured out to make the jumps tantalizingly simple-looking, but actually needing, if not pixel-perfect, still pretty precise timing. i'd almost say they were made by two different creators, which i suppose is a thing. i like the metacommentary theory better...but that might just be because it lets me say metacommentary.

Kuch mal, wer da piepst! - Melli-Tierchen

i really wish Google Translate wasn't quite such garbage; i'd have loved to know if there was some connection between it and the stage, thereby explaining all the exercise loving mice (which were awesome), or if it was more like that Akio_Ami level we did awhile back. Unfortunately my own knowledge of German was the random words cartoons used to use to show that this particular character was from this particular country. Do they still even do that? All the Russian i know comes from a few episodes of GI Joe where the October Guard showed up to show that, while the US and Russia may have been on shaky ground at the time, GI Joe just hated used car salesmen. Basically, cartoons in the 80's (and media in general) handle English as a Second Language speakers pretty poorly over all. From experience i can tell you, while there are Japanese with some pretty awful English skill (it is my job to change that, after all), they don't sound like any one i've seen in a movie or on TV. There are fairly particular mistakes that commonly occur due to differences in how the two languages convey ideas (double negatives are fairly common, for example).

i guess what i'm trying to say is i don't have much to say about the level that i didn't say in the episode.

Melody of Chaos - The-RraptOrr

Playing through this one a third time, it wasn't quite as tough as i'd found it to be at first. There are some layer change areas, where you're walking into the foreground or background, that only look hairy, but if you take your time with them and don't panic, are actually farily simple (there's one bit where you have to walk back on this rounded bar, and it's easy to get twitchy and throw yourself off the stupid thing). One area, where there're some blocks coming out of the wall on your right trying to push you off the ledge you're on, if you try jumping to the right, you can go right through the wall. Don't know why that was happening, but you don't really need to jump to get past that area, so most players might never encounter the issue.

Still enjoyed the boss the second time through (first playthrough i didn't make it, because of that rounded bar), though i think the phases could stand to be just a touch quicker.

So, that's the that. i had a good deal of fun with this one, but i think i could say that about every episode i've done. 20episodes means 100levels played, and the signal-to-noise ratio has been pretty high. i shouldn't be surprised, i suppose; i'm not just picking them at random. Still, when the total pool is 10million, and the wide spread of people's tastes, i would've expected more clunkers.

This Friday's episode, as mentioned, is all wrapped up. i should note (though i'll mention this again when it gets posted), mentally add one play to my commentary for one of the levels at the end; i had to do a rerecord of one of the levels, and (because i'd seen very little of the level at the 3minute mark) completely forgot that when i was doing the outro commentary. It's not enough of an issue to warrant a redo of the outro, but it might sound a bit odd. Mea culpa! Forgive me!

As always, thanks to all of you for the support and feedback! Hope you're all having a great day!
    Almost back, so excited.

25. Thanks!

PSN
    CuriousSack
    Blog Entries

Hi waffleking23,

if I find some time I will try to do a little curioussack translate for you...at your own risk, could be that afterwards you'll love google translate!

PSN
    waffle_king23

Haha, thanks for the offer, Jurgen! If it comes up again, i may throw it at you...though perhaps after the recording, there's something amusing to me about the vague confusion while putting together the episode.

Alright then, this week's episode is up and running over here.

This go we're taking a look at

The impossible neon level - Killer_king7878
    The Insides of a Monster - jjj-20
    The Mine of Nueva Talucha - effevu
    Four Seasons - I6v6I
    Soul Remnance - blackbird31468

Had a really good time with this one; both with the levels, and kitting things together. Hope y'all have the same fun with the watching. One thing i wanted to point out, though. My memory got fudged a bit when i was recording the outro. With Four Seasons, i had the first play and recording that i didn't use, cause loading ate 2and a half minutes of it, the 2nd, which did get used, though dThermo and a lost connection kept me from finishing the level (though that was well past the 3 minute point). The third time i tried, the level had been take down (though it appears it's back up on lbp.me again now). It's a little thing, but the numbers in the level recording and the outro might not match up, is all; i don't want anyone confused. And now, time to get ready to go out. There's still blossoms on the trees, and the weather is actually beautiful for once; rained just about all last week, y'know.

Have a great day, and thanks for all the support!
    Last edited by waffleking23; 2 Weeks Ago at 11:21 PM.
    Almost back, so excited.

28. Thanks!

PSN
    CuriousSack
    Blog Entries

Hahaha, my family will declare you to be a "persona non grata", cause again they will find me playing your recommendations!

Thanks again and have a fine Easter! Many greetings, Jürgen^^

30. Thanks!

PSN
    waffle_king23

Heh, sorry about that, Jurgen. This week's levels were fairly beefy, too.

Beep beep bwa?

Heyo folks, this week's Tuesday Takeaway will be a bit late, i'm still in the midst of getting this Friday's episode ready to go. Murphy's Law has been in full effect this week. We will, definitely, have a Takeaway, it'll just be Wednesday (or, Entropy forbid, Thursday). Sorry for the delay.

Hope you're all having a great day, though!

As an aside, we learned putting in a large enough number of lights will totally tank the frame rate in Create Mode. It's a real pain in the rump.

- - - - - - - - - -

Beep beedeebee, it's...well, it's the Wednesday Takeaway!

The impossible neon level - Killer_King7878
    i ended up appreciating this one a lot more my third time through. Still think it could stand to be a bit speedier, and some of the camera angles are a mite bit janky. There's a lot of cleverness shown in the different properties of the neon blocks, though, and i came to like how clean everything looked. There's a particularly cool set of shattering blocks about 3/4s the way through. One oddity, though, is there's no scoreboard to end the stage, just one of those story stage endboards. i don't quite see the purpose of having so many point bubbles if you can't compare how you've done. Still this is a fun one, and deserves well more plays than it's gotten.

The Insides of a Monster - jjj-20
    Playing through again didn't really change my mind much. Still really love the environment, there're all sorts of weird details and animated bits. While similar in theme to Bottom of the Beast, i think it's got a different enough agenda; much more about showing off, with gameplay de-emphasized (though certainly present). Also bees, who doesn't love bees? The dimness is a point against, but perhaps that couldn't have been helped. This one ends on a scoreboard, but given the paucity of points, the storymode endboard may have been a better choice.

The mine of Nueva Talucha - effevu
    There's something nice and nostalgic about this one. It may lack a little polish, and you could argue the sets were a bit overlarge; but in the end, it was a fun one. There's a nice variety of gameplay elements, and the revolver ends up getting a good workout by the end. The enemies could stand to be slightly less tanky, but that's not an unforgivable point. Like i said in the video, this one is pretty long, even when you know the badic layout of the level, so you'll want to keep that in mind.

Four Seasons - I6v6I
    Did i say the last one was long? 'Cause it ain't got nothin' on Four Seasons. If there were less going on in this one, i'd say it was well too long; and even with all its charm, i was getting a touch antsy by the end. Some of that was loading, though, of which there is a lot of here. Unavoidable, i'm sure, there's no way this one is anything but dThermo, and even with that, all the materials and logic used must have being explodinating the thermo. All that aside, there is an awful lot of great in this one. Charm, great environments, some challenging(ish) gameplay (particularly in Autumn), some nice touches like the homemade loading screens. Give yourself a lot of time and check this one out.

Soul Remnance - blackbird31468
    We already gushed about this one in the episode, and if that didn't sell you, i don't know what will. i think you're right, Adder, to say levels need to catch the player pretty quick, and this one really does the job. It's great all round, and should be played.

Ok, that's us for the week. A day late, but hopefully not a dollar short. We've finally got the next episode's intro and levels recorded. i may give the intro a rerecord tonight, though. It took about 3hours of poking at this morning to get most of the kinks out, and then i blew my lines about a dozen times before getting a take that was smoothish. i don't if you'd be able to tell, but i feel like frustration was starting to creep into my delivery.

Thanks for being understanding this week. Hope you're all well, and y'have a great day!
    Almost back, so excited.

PSN
    waffle_king23

This week's episode stumbles into the room here.

We're taking a look at

An Adventure in Cardboard - TheTrueBurntL
    Lost in the Enchanted Library - agentztyler
    Stück für Stück - ellkos
    Davinci's Spider Lair - HELLYEAH1982
    The Molten Mines - shookie_monster

Peeking behind the curtain time...this episode was cursed. The hub was supposed to be just a simple interstitial thing because i hadn't gotten an idea for how to get back into the regular hub, that somehow ended up taking almost 2weeks to put together. Everytime i sat down to record, something would come up. Prompts for Mei and Frank that were working fine in Create Mode, would suddenly not work in Play. Trying to record the hub bits and i kept flubbing my lines, like i mentioned last post. And to cap it off, i screwed up the editing not once, but twice (don't ask). i'm hoping i've used up the 6episodes of bad luck in this one.

Still, i'm pretty happy with how it turned out, and hopefully my pain (mostly sarcastic here) will translate into your enjoyment (that part's honest). The levels we picked up were all pretty fun, and benefited from a more thorough look. i'm glad i'm getting the chance to bring them to y'all, hopefully you're finding a few that you get some fun out of.

Thanks for everything, folks! i appreciate all the support and feedback.
    Almost back, so excited.

33. Thanks!

PSN
    waffle_king23

Ossu! Time for the Tuesday Takeaway!

An Adventure in Cardboard - TheTrueBurntL

Like we said in the video, this is a solid first level from TheTrueBurntL. For the most part we see none of the usual first level mistakes on display. There's a coherence to the level, a smattering of gameplay elements, and a few nice, simple flourishes to give it a little distinction (putting the stickers on wobble bolts was a nice touch). There are a few issues that could be polished up. In a few areas, the field is probably a bit deeper than entirely necessar;, in the starting area it's easy to miss the music switch because of this, and the later issue with the checkpoint not triggering. Still, it's a promising start, and is a fun, if short, experience as a level itself.

Lost in the Enchanted Library - agentztyler

i did appreciate this one a bit more the third go through. It's a solid Toggle level, which, really, how often can we say? The presentation of the moving elements are all pretty cool, the books were all rocking. The level presentation itself, could definitely use a little polish. There are thin layer bits behind some of the platforming elements that aren't quite big enough to cover up gaps, for example. It's not a big thing, but it is noticeable. We see layer launcher issues here, as well. i'm starting to think they should just be written off, to be honest, they seem to throw the player out of level somehow in almost every level i see them. One thing of note, the music, while pretty cool, may not be a real good match for the kinda-sorta-spooky theme tyler seems to be going for.

Stück für Stück - ellkos

This one kind of went int he other direction for me. The animated elements are still pretty cool, and i appreciate the music still...but the lack of direction (or the presence of misdirection) is kind of grating even knowing the general layout of the stage. It feels like there could have been a bit more playtesting done, making sure jumps weren't too pixel perfect, and making sure things are relatively clear to the player. While i don't think it's bad to have a variety of elements that serve the same purpose (here i'm thinking the climbing bits), the more there are, the more clear they need to be, i think. If you've got lots and lots present, it's easy for things to get confusing, and important details to get lost in the cruft. i do think the level is worth a look, though i think three times through is enough for me.

DaVinci's Spider Lair - HELLYEAH1982

i have to say, it was a lot of fun to say the creator's name in the episode. i don't think my feelings shifted overmuch here, and the issues present in the video are still there; though who knows? Maybe it'll get updated. i do think a little more thought could've been put into checkpoint placement, though. It's hard to say quite what i'm thinking here, but...i think obstacle areas can be considered coherent set-pieces, linked by a particular type of hazard or gameplay element. Checkpoints should (to my mind) be placed at the beginnings of these areas, so death doesn't require the player to cross too much unrelated ground. i'm not sure if that's getting across well, i'm going to have to prod it a bit more in my mind, i think.

The Molten Mines - shookie_monster

A solid, professional looking level here. Something i found interesting was it seemed to be set up almost like a Story Mode stage, not intended to be well played the first time through. i think the idea here is you need to go through at least once to get a good idea of the layout, and how the puzzles/obstacles are going to be working. It's the second or third playthrough where things are really going to click. i don't know how many players will return to a community level after a go through. i wonder, if it weren't required in order to get all the collectables, how many players would go back to the Story Mode levels, for that matter (that's not intended to be snark about their quality, although i feel a little snark could be thrown at times). With the plethora of available great games to play, how many folks will return again (or again and again) to something already beaten (and no, Isaac doesn't count, because it is the greatest...Nier: Automata doesn't either, 'cause it's freaking art). Oh...back to the stage. The recurring, slightly tweaked and altered obstacles and hazards...this is a simple, but very good technique for building out levels.

So...there it is. We're in the midst of putting together this Friday's episode, it's a much easier one to set up, so i don't feel nearly as much stress as last week. This is good, because even clearing Nier's 5main endings, i find myself hooked for a completely fresh playthrough. Oh, and also, i got Persona5. i may have been drunk, though this has turned out to be a good choice, 'cause P5 is pretty great.

Everyone, thanks as always for the support. i'm glad to hear these are still being enjoyed. Our halfway point is coming up in episode 26, and i'm planning to do a double. That is to say, one regular episode, and one behind the scenes one where we'll look at how things get put together and how levels get found/chosen. if anyone has any questions you'd like to ask about the series, or anything really, let me know here, or in a PM. Names will be mentioned unless you ask me not to (in which case, a PM is probably a better choice).

Hope you're all well, and have a great day!
    Almost back, so excited.

35. Thanks!

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast