BG1, PRELOAD BG2, PRELOAD

Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 7 8 9 10 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by mdkd99 View Post
    I'll make sure too change it. I personally thought it's how a young man would walk around. Thanks for mentioning that.
    How d'ya mean?

That's how I walk all the time!

signature 2016: "2016 yet I'm still using a PlayStation 3...." --sir monacle

signature 2017: "The more you struggle with something, the more rewarding it feels to finish it." --sir monacle

German Community Moderator CuriousSack's Avatar
    Level completed: 60%, Points required for next Level: 764
    Overall activity: 100.0%
    100 Experience Points 7 days registered 250 Experience Points 30 days registered 500 Experience Points
    PSN
    CuriousSack
    Blog Entries

And thats how I'll probably walk around in about 20 years...

Have a fine weekend and many greetings, Jürgen^^

Level completed: 13%, Points required for next Level: 875
    Overall activity: 47.0%
    7 days registered 1000 Experience Points 500 Experience Points 250 Experience Points 100 Experience Points
    PSN
    waffle_king23

Those are both great, guys.

How is it already Tuesday (Takeaway)?

iHora de Picnic! - Lau_Argen

Even on a 3rd(?) playthrough the sliding block puzzle is just so. freaking. awkward. Which i suppose is ok, because the grappling is pretty awkward as well. It's almost a theme. i have to give props for trying something different, it's just such a poor fit. On the positive side, it's a cute level, and i particularly liked the wolf right toward the end; can't remember if i showed that in a PiP or not.

The Crazy Factory - bossman3009

Came away this time feeling about as i did the first time. The visual presentation is neat, and i really liked the secrets; but the checkpoint placement could use a little bit of work. Still, unless you get caught in a real nasty frustration loop with that plasma section, you should be able to plow through this one pretty quickly; and that can be nice.

Seaside Sideshow - NOVALIS_2017

There's no way around the fact that this is pretty blocky in presentation, and slight in gameplay; but it still had its own charm, and it wasn't unfun, exactly. The duck bit...that was...well, not great. The platforms seemed both bouncy and slippery, but it the rainbows above them lit on and off, which was a nice little touch. The weird TikiChef was well-animated, as well, now that i think of it. i'll be interested to see if Novalis grows as a creator, or kind of plateaus out with this style of level. That wouldn't necessarily be the worst thing in the world, mind. The level is at least a level, and not just a random collection of crud.

Pencil and Paper - Spidersackboy28

It's definitely a good level, to be sure. There's a nice mix of gameplay, but it's not so overstuffed that things start to feel random. A little work could've been done to better incorporate the bounce pads into the "2d in a notebook" look of those areas, so that stands against. The real issue, to me, is what i said in the episode, it feels like they couldn't decide if they wanted to go all in on the concept, or just kind of have it there; i think the split nature there works against it, especially as it's billed as being strictly the one.

Mount Moltar - iKyle94

i really liked this level, even though the gameplay kicked my teeth in a bit. iKyle does an excellent job with visual design and building an environment, and it stands a strong contrast to the far more bland-looking Ancient Temple from last week. i think if the boss were nixed, it'd be all-around perfect.

So, that's the that this week. A pretty fun set, all around; and i've found a new creator to keep half an eye on. Which reminds me, rud-54 seems to have really taken off since the Canyons level we looked at...ahh...well, not that many episodes back.

Behind the curtain stuffs: Not much to say here, i'm elbow deep in stuff to record just this second. i can at least say Episode 043 is wrapped and has been put up on the 'Tube, so that's one thing off my mind.

Catch y'all later, and thanks for the support!

7 days registered 1000 Experience Points 500 Experience Points 250 Experience Points 100 Experience Points
    PSN
    waffle_king23

Heyos! Another week come and gone, another episode of R15F.

This go around we're taking a look at:

Mercury Prime 1.5 - R-V-2-0-1-3
    Basic World - ColorThrowers_3
    Return to the Canyons! - Hyenaedon
    Confection Correction - MoFoSupervillain
    弾飛威 Shmpty - PN-TR

It's a pretty decent set of levels this go around. i'll hold my opinion on some of them (here at least) until Tuesday, but they're worth taking at least a quick look at.

Behind the curtain stuffs:

Scripting and story. i don't actually write down scripts for the show. i tried it once, and it didn't really work out the way i wanted it. i do go over the dialogue a lot in my head before i actually start putting it into Magic Mouths. The end result is that an awful lot will end up getting trimmed in the end. Partially because you can say alot more in your head in 3minutes than you can in-game (weird side note, i seem to have developed a bit of a sixth-sense about how much dialogue works out to 3minutes in-game. it's not like i'm measuring out my sequencers, it's just like a little voice starts to say "ok, you best start wrapping it up about here). Sometimes because a joke either doesn't feel right when i finally look at it (there have been a few that were a might bit bawdier than necessary on second look...i still feel a bit iffy about last weeks "Those 39th Circle jerks").

Anyways, to make this relevant, i got all the cameras and animations done for E44 and did my test run...and it hit me that the dialogue was way too dark and mean-spirited for the show. Like, all of it. It was suitable for the characters, and for the story, but... yeah. So, i spent most of yesterday completely redoing the intro section from the ground up. Which, took about as long as you would think.

i also spent a couple of hours playing through my queue just for fun. It's been a long time since i've done that. It was kind of weird, because i couldn't turn off that part of my brain that thinks about how i would present the level for an episode. It was nice just to play a little though, and some of the levels were really good (there were a lot of LotDs and DevPicks, so i was likely never going to feature them).

In the end i got Episode 44 wrapped up but for the PiPs, and that should go fairly quickly. It finally dawned on me that, instead of searching for footage from my second (before recording the outro) playthrough, it'd be easier if i played a third time after the outro was recorded. That way i could pause in areas that i've mentioned, and get a clip that's more suited to what (and how long) i was taking about.

That was a block of text...sorry about that. Sometimes i just start typing and don't stop. As always, thanks to all of you for the feedback and support. i'm having a great time putting the show together, and it makes me really happy that you're all getting something out of it. Y'all have a great day now!

Level completed: 75%, Points required for next Level: 153
    Overall activity: 0%
    100 Experience Points 7 days registered 250 Experience Points 500 Experience Points 30 days registered
    PSN
    sir_monacle

Quote Originally Posted by waffleking23 View Post
    Heyos! Another week come and gone, another episode of R15F.

This go around we're taking a look at:

Mercury Prime 1.5 - R-V-2-0-1-3
    Return to the Canyons! - Hyenaedon
    Confection Correction - MoFoSupervillain
    弾飛威 Shmpty - PN-TR

It's a pretty decent set of levels this go around. i'll hold my opinion on some of them (here at least) until Tuesday, but they're worth taking at least a quick look at.

Behind the curtain stuffs:

Scripting and story. i don't actually write down scripts for the show. i tried it once, and it didn't really work out the way i wanted it. i do go over the dialogue a lot in my head before i actually start putting it into Magic Mouths. The end result is that an awful lot will end up getting trimmed in the end. Partially because you can say alot more in your head in 3minutes than you can in-game (weird side note, i seem to have developed a bit of a sixth-sense about how much dialogue works out to 3minutes in-game. it's not like i'm measuring out my sequencers, it's just like a little voice starts to say "ok, you best start wrapping it up about here). Sometimes because a joke either doesn't feel right when i finally look at it (there have been a few that were a might bit bawdier than necessary on second look...i still feel a bit iffy about last weeks "Those 39th Circle jerks").
    Yep, just got the notification for it! Can't wait to see the episode.

Personally, I don't do any planning for my levels. It just enters my mind, I start working on it, and then about a week or so later my mind wonders onto something else and then I abandon the level to work on the new idea. After that, the perpetual cycle just continues.

It's very rarely I ever finish what I started working on, and I really don't see how you have the patience to do this!

signature 2017: "The more you struggle with something, the more rewarding it feels to finish it." --sir monacle

100 Experience Points 7 days registered 250 Experience Points 500 Experience Points 30 days registered
    PSN
    sir_monacle

Hey, I just watched half of Grime, and I know I should probably watch all of it before writing this, but there's something that stood out to me, so I just couldn't wait.

So, Skullface's story...

Although briefly told by you, there was something that stood out to me. Drinking and doing homework. That didn't sound right to me, so at first I thought "Well, maybe the legal drinking age is 13, alongside the legal sex age." (That's another thing I will bring up later.) So I decided to do some research... And whadd'ya know?

As it turns out, the legal drinking age is 21. Not 13. Mischievous indeed. After that he sees a weird demon creature, and gets welcomed into a strange club. We've seen demons before, but it sounds to me like someone spiked the alcohol. It's more common you think - some kids doing dumb stuff, drinking, doing drugs, entering weird gangs.

Also, is it just me, Naoki a lot shorter in this one? It is Naoki, right? Same hairdo, hair colour and skin. Y'even call 'em Mei (Mai? May? Pardon the spelling, this is all confusing to remember.) Near the end of the episode. How old is he, anyways? He seems a li'l young for Mei. The marriage age for a man is 18. Then again... We're not in japan, are we? Different place, different laws. I could question the ethical implications of all of this, whether legal or not, but they seem to like each other. Who am I to question that?

Whether I'm completely wrong about all this doesn't really matter, as I have learned something today because of all this, so thanks for that.

PSN
    waffle_king23

Veddy interesting, the things that stand out.

To set your mind at ease, Skullface (and Freddy) are in their 70s. It's not been explicitly mentioned in the show (though Freddy mentions their having been married 35yrs back in Liminal). That being said, Skullface's misadventures were back in uni, so there's a chance he was drinking underage, i haven't checked the changes in age of adulthood/drinking in Oknawa (or thought how they'd map to my semi-fictional Ryukyu).

Good catch with Naoki, by the way! i'd actually screwed up and forgot to resize his sackbot the previous episode (he should be small). i noticed this one, and there was a throwaway line about trying different size/density combinations that unfortunately got cut for time. Basically he decides being smaller means being denser, so he hits harder. i never thought much about Naoki's age, beyond his getting into clubs probably means over 20 (we're family friendly, so we try not to over-encourage breaking the law). That'd put about 10years give or take between him and Mei. i don't remember if i accidentally called him Mei, but i'll feel a bit salty if i did.

Thanks for the feedback, mate. i appreciate all the support. You have a good evening now, yeah?

PSN
    waffle_king23

Hey folks, back again for the Tuesday Takeaway!

Mercury Prime 1.5 - r-v-2-0-1-3

i may have been a little too harsh in the episode, but i'm not thinking by much. It is a great, intricately put together level (with very appropriate and well done music) to be sure, but if you don't know just what's expected of you (and even if you do) the frustration is going to ramp up fairly quickly. i was never quite sure how long i could stay in the sunlight, which made me a bit more cautious in wider areas than maybe i should have been (which is going to impact the flow of the race). One thing new(ish) that came up this time, the first three times i played load/lag weren't really issues. Now, the base Mercury Prime gets slammed with them, but at least that's just a regular platformer. This go around, i was caught in loading every half minute or so, and that made it so hard to keep up the right pace to nail jumps. The worst was watching half my bonus trickle away while i was waiting for the level to respawn me. i wish i knew a way on my end to minimize that.

So...Tuesdays are fairly busy for me, so while i don't use a 3minute time limit playing levels for the Takeaway, i do keep to the old (and quickly dropped in series) rule of 5lives and out. i lost all 5lives in the first jump section here. This is even knowing what i was supposed to be doing. If there is an LBP level that handles 3D platforming well, i've yet to see it. It's certainly not this one.

Return to the Canyons! - hyenaedon

Not much changed with this one. i didn't mind the balsa material quite so much, though, so that was nice. One thing that i noticed to its detriment, however; if you die during the minecart ride? You have to do the entire section again. It's really quite long, and i can see a lot of players just noping right out. On the other hand, there's nowhere to really put a checkpoint without breaking up the flow. Maybe that would have been better; having it in three parts with a little more platforming in between? It's weird, but i swear i could see more platforming (or at least gameplay elements and point bubbles) way in the background of the level, but i never saw a way to access them. Secret or cruft, i wonder?

Confection Correction - MofoSupervillain

Not a huge lot to say about this one. It's solid on for what it's doing, and doesn't make a lot of misteps. Mofo actually got in touch with me, on YT, maybe, and said that their early published LBP3 levels (like this one) were more a way to get reacquainted with level building and design. i suppose that makes them etudes, which is pretty cool. They also pointed me to their newer level, which is to be all original, so i'll need to give that a look on LBsP

Shmpty - PN-TR

Oh my god, there was a slow function, and a bomb the whole time. This did not really help, but it does remind me to read instructions when they're given.

So, that's pretty much the that this time around. Only one level that i really can't recommend, but a lot of fun to be had in the rest. As always, thanks for all the support, and have a great day!

German Community Moderator CuriousSack's Avatar
    Level completed: 60%, Points required for next Level: 764
    Overall activity: 100.0%
    100 Experience Points 7 days registered 250 Experience Points 30 days registered 500 Experience Points
    PSN
    CuriousSack
    Blog Entries

If you're still not tired of reading my thanks, then I will go on thanking you! Great reviews, fantastic review series, a wonderful contribution to our community! Thank you so much!

Many greetings, Jürgen^^

10. Thanks!

PSN
    waffle_king23

Quote Originally Posted by CuriousSack View Post
    If you're still not tired of reading my thanks, then I will go on thanking you! Great reviews, fantastic review series, a wonderful contribution to our community! Thank you so much!

Many greetings, Jürgen^^
    It is a pleasure, and an honor, to read your thanks and extend my own back to you, Jurgen. It's not as though you're not carrying water for the community, yeah?

12. Thanks!

PSN
    waffle_king23

i'll be your leprechaun/ shamrock, your lucky charm/ whoa oh, yeah

Err...wait... It's not karaoke time (not that they have any real good Faith No More on the machines here), it's time for another R15F.

This week we're taking a look at:

Watergrass Pier - RHONE93

Wonderland - OxidationZombie

Darkness in the Sea - GhostChild87

Swamp of the Great Beast - kcabe1

La pyramide de kheops - CYBY57

This set has got some...interesting levels. i think this is another of those "firsts" ones. i'll let you find out which first for yourselves. Still, there's nothing here i'd explicitly warn people away from, so give 'em a play, yeah? We also get to see the new hub, so that's cool.

Behind the curtains stuffs: i think mic/headphone cables, and the placement/adjustment thereof is just the adult-hood equivalent of bunny ears on the tv for me. This episode things went without too much of a hitch (well, i did need to rerecord the intro for volume), it seemed i'd found the perfect distance to sit from the PS4 to get that background buzz out. Did the LBsP, no issues. Did the level recordings for ep45, everything's fine. Sit down to record the intro and suddenly, i cannot find that sweet spot again. i'm sitting in the same exact spot, but now the buzz is horrendous. Move around to here or there, the only place where it's acceptably gone (not completely gone, but so soft you'd have to be listening for it to hear it) is standing about a half metre back, but hunched down a bit towards the console. Obviously this is not ideal.

After fiddling with it a significant chunk of yesterday morning, decided "bugger this for a game of soldiers" and took a walk. Picked up the last book of I Am A Hero, and the last couple of Soul Eater (don't know why i'd stopped reading Soul Eater just 3books before the end). Parked myself in a park and read through the afternoon. It was nice. i was kind of shocked at how utterly and completely Hideo (I Am a Hero's main character) fails at his goals. Usually authors try to end on a higher note.

The takeaway here is mostly that i haven't wrapped ep45 yet. Once i get the mic de-kinked, though, it should go smoothly. i've got the apartment to m'self most this week, so i don't need to rush things any.

As always, thank you, everyone, for the support! We're under the two months to go mark, which is pretty wild. i've been having a ball (dumb headset aside), and am glad you're enjoying it as well. Take care, and have a great day!

PSN
    sir_monacle

This episode was interesting, especially with the level selection!

The new hub is interesting, though it was distracting with the blue panels. (Also, do those lights turn on and of by themselves? That must be a pain to sleep through!)

The only issue I've seen with the mic in this episode was in Wonderland, where the music was louder (or at the same volume as) the mic. Other than that, I didn't have any issues.

Oh, and about that statue in 'Le pyramide de kehops'. If you hold the R button when running into something ungrabable, you won't change layers. Not too many people know this, sadly. So, if you ever encounter something similar, it might be worth a try?

All in all, I had a good time with this one!

PSN
    waffle_king23

Thanks Monacle!

i'll keep the blue screen thing in mind. Cutting that will at least save me the trouble of setting up sequencers for the patterns every week (each screen has an opacity tweaker wired to a bunch of tag sensors, two that handle on/off for all, and two that handle on/off for just that screen. It took forever to set up).

Beep beep, Richie, it's Tuesday Takeaway time!

Watergrass Pier - RHONE93

Ok, this one was odd. i just used the corner climb to beat the level in about 30seconds. Basically you can skip most everything we saw in the video. Umm... yeah, i don't know what's up with that. Personally i don't exactly mind directionless, "poke around and see what you see"-type levels, but i'm really not a fan of bait-and-switch; and i feel like that's what's going on with the race gate. The railcart breaking is, i think, intentional so you have to go into the water. The pixel chicken said there were multiple ways out of the level, but i only found the one i used last time (i just got there quicker).

Wonderland - OxidationZombie

i think i tend to be more forgiving of small slip-ups in levels from first-time creators than those from folks with more experience under their belts. That may not be entirely fair. On the other hand, i was taken aback by the visual presentation here, and by the solid (if simple) gameplay. It has a very nice flow to it that was fairly surprising seeing as a lot of first-time levels tend to be fairly herky-jerky in that department. i didn't find more drop-outs beyond the few early on in the level, i think they were from leaving space open to allow those platforms to rise up, something that could have been avoided with a physics tweaker set to ignore the floor, and extending that material one layer deeper. Still, i'm looking forward to seeing more out of OxidationZombie.

Darkness In The Sea - GhostChild87

Yeah...this one wasn't quite so funny on the third go around, especially since i knew you could just hop a layer forward when entering the water and bypass the sharks altogether.

The Swamp of the Great Beast - kcabe1

You can actually jet through this one pretty quickly once you know what you're doing. There's only one bit where the jumps are a bit tricky, and you'll only get set back if you miss them. i think this could probably be spruced up into something much nicer with a few more rounds of decorations, and a bit of tuning with the cameras. It definitely would have been nicer to have the point bubbles a little more spread out, both to avoid that clumped-up look that KG mentions, and to encourage players to keep up a pace instead of dawdling.

La pyramide de kheops - cyby57

There's not much more to be said about this one. It remains a beautiful exploratory level that's very light on gameplay. Just wish they'd done something about those walls. The statue was a bit of a pain as well, but it was kind of funny to watch myself headbutt it down the path.

So...that's the that for this week. Just the one stinker, and that's really more that i haven't much taste for the shark levels, maybe you love them. i try not to judge. Nothing really behind the curtain this time, we covered most everything in yesterday's LBsP post.

Thanks to all of you for giving me the chance to do this, and for all the feedback. i hope you're all doing well, and that you have a fine day!

PSN
    waffle_king23

Yoshi! Got a new one coming up over here.

This week we're having a look at:

A seaside adventure - CLONE_CMDR_LOGAN
    the wind waker - nekodamsi
    "Stamps collection - patricao73
    Spiders and Fire - DeadmaN2112
    The Grim Journey [ch1] - ZombieSlayer_5

A pretty decent set of levels here, nothing stand-out bad, and a couple that were standout good. All of them deserve at least a play.

Behind the curtains stuffs: i have no idea why it was so hard to get the outro of this one recorded. There's a little, bonus outtake at the end of the episode. It's probably the only one that didn't involve me swearing.

So, i spent most of yesterday hiking out to the impound lot to pick up my wife's bike. It was, of course, raining. By the time i got home, i was feeling pretty punk and kind of spacey. Not a condition improved by watching Meat Ball Machine (note: not even remotely safe for work, or if you have a low threshold for squick). So basically yesterday was a wash for production, which kind of sucks, but is also kind of ok, i guess? Oh, Dead Rising2 was 250yen at the local used place. Having played the first 30minutes or so, i can say that is a completely appropriate price.

PSN
    waffle_king23

Well, well, well, if it isn't Tuesday Takeaway time.

A seaside adventure - CLONE_CMDR_LOGAN
    Yeah, not a lot to say about this one, really. It remains what it is: a fun enough, quick platformer, with a few interesting bits of detail, but a relatively flat over-all look. The cameras still feel a bit unfair, and there ought to be something to give the impression of ground. On the other hand, i think the amount of work needed to really spruce this into something nice is probably fairly minimal. It certainly doesn't need a complete overhaul or anything like that.

the wind waker - nekodamasi
    It's so rare to see a level that actually makes good use of the blow-dryer. Seems like it usually shows up as a throw-away, clear this one obstacle kind of thing. Parts of the level are a heck of a challenge, though; momentum is always threatening to throw you into some kind of hazard. Still, providing you have the time (this is about 10-15minutes give or take), it's definitely worth a few plays. Super digging on that big robot at the beginning, and the way nekodamasi's hidden their checkpoints behind roulette wheels.

"stamps collector" - patricao73
    Still kinda sad i couldn't figure out how to pronounce this creator's name. Patric-AO? Patrica-O? Bob (hey they could be Welsh, where spelling bears no apparent relation to sound). Wasn't super surprised to see the team pick here, for once; it just had that feel to it, it was picking up too many plays too quickly to completely escape notice. One thing i noticed this time, though, was that the hazards are a bit inconsistent in their presentation. Sometimes the white (should be safe) floor will just kill you. It's not just the stamp edge, like i thought in the episode.

Spiders and Fire (and fire and fire and fire) - DeadmaN2112
    So much signposting, and it's so out of place looking. Also, i really got slammed by lag/load this go about, which makes an already long level that much worse. On the other hand, aside from the sign issue, it's got a nice enough visual design, and some decent gameplay elements and set-pieces. i imagine they broke the level into three to deal with a thermo pushed to the limits by all the decorations, but i wonder if there couldn't have been a little fat-trimming and compromise to get this into one, more smoothly flowing level.

The Grim Journey [chapter 1] - ZombieSlayer_5
    This one's definitely the stand out for me this go around. The environment is solid, the gameplay is simple, but fitting for a tutorial level. The special abilities are well-handled, and the power-ups, except for the switching issue, are pretty cool. Death's kind of a jag, but that's forgivable, and i really liked Right Hand Man (though ZombieSlayer forgot to make him non-grabbable, oops). Really the only downside is that it was published a year ago, and it makes me wonder if we'll be seeing a chapter two. i really hope so, though.

Behind the Curtain Stuffs
    So the good news is Episode 046 is wrapped and uploaded, so there's one thing i don't need to worry about. Got to try a couple of new (for me) things, and they mostly worked out the way i wanted them to. i have to say, i'm really liking this hub, it allows a pretty decent amount of freedom, for being such a open and kind of featureless space. i think it's a keeper.
    The bad news is, i was all set to record the levels for 047 yesterday, and my headset decided it wasn't going to work with the PS4 again. No matter what i did, i just couldn't get that buzz out. This is really an issue for me. There's something about dysfunctional audio devices that just slams on my irrational anger button. Really, the needle's well past anger and buried somewhere in wrath. Someone on Penny Arcade suggested Sony's super-duper-platinum-deluxe wireless headphones, and while they look very nice, they're also 24,400yen. Now, i do have a kind of sort of bonus coming up, but for that price, i could buy a Switch (if i could find one). i mean, that's a really hard price to justify, especially since, in the end, this isn't a job. i guess i'm just going to have to keep trying, and hope i luck into another on day (and to be honest, most of the time i record, there's no issue at all, it's just when it comes up, there's no way to fix it). The really weird thing is this never happens anymore when i record on the laptop.

Geeky Aside
    The Grim Journey got me thinking on fictional representations of Death. It seems a little rare (at least in the media that i consume) to get a real jerkface Death. i guess Tony Todd in the Final Destination series is the closest, though that's mainly in that he seems wildly unfair in the context of the rules as presented (this is why diegesis is improtant!). It also got me thinking of Thanos. Man, that guy is a jerk (leaving off the quasi-tragic "this guy is literally chasing after death" take). i mean, look at the set up for Infinity Gauntlet, yeah? His big idea to get Death to notice him (Sempai noticed me!) is to kill half of the inhabitants of the multiverse. It's like, dude, barring A-rank book-anchoring characters (they all get reincarnation as a perk during char-gen), she's gonna get everybody in the end. Are you trying to tell her you think she's impatient? And it's her job. Do you think being reminded of work is a nice Valentine's Day prezzie? What, you couldn't try flowers or something? Do you have no ideas what she might be interested in? Have you ever even thought to ask? C'mon mate, i've got the social skills of dead walrus, and even i'm not that bad.

PSN
    waffle_king23

Ossu! Gots today's installment ready to go here

This week we're having a look at:

Tangle Temple - xX_Stevenboss_Xx
    Night Falls - stfuwiththat
    Shiny Nature - Ximuri
    Inked Out - tinpig-65
    Tiki Jungle Ruins - shookboys99

A pretty fun set of levels all in all, there was nothing that i could say "don't bother with this one" about. A little miffed about Inked out though. i mean, it'd been sitting there, relatively unnoticed for almost a year, then i get it recorded and suddenly it's Team Picked. i mean, come on a little. Well...it does mostly deserve it i think (though it's not completely without issues).

Behind the Curtains Stuff

Like i said in the last thread (over on LBNetwork, if you're reading this somewhere else), thanks to KG's suggestion, it looks like i've finally got the mic issue sorted. i don't really know enough about electronics to understand why a tablet charger would cause the problem, but once i got it unplugged the buzz pretty much vanished. i could even turn up the gain a little bit, so from now on, i should be a bit easier to hear.

i shouldn't toot my own horn, but i really liked how the cardboard forts turned out.

i ended up re-recording the intro to 047, which was on one hand good, because i think i got a better take, but, on the other hand, took way too much fiddling around. Along with some other stuff that came up, i didn't get the episode wrapped, but that shouldn't be too big an issue.

This month's PS+ over here was Steredenn (which is really quite fun, but man it kicks my tail) and Metal Gear 5. i have played a lot of games over the years (though really, who hasn't, i suppose), but i can't off-hand remember one that had a more interminable and unfun intro/tutorial section. When they game me the mission recap at the end, it said it took an hour and change, and i feel like i spent a quarter of that in bed, and another half slowly crawling or stumbling. Meh...

Anyway, lots to do, lots to do. As always, thank you everyone for the support! We're getting pretty close to the end of things now, and i wouldn't have made it here without you. Have a great day!

PSN
    waffle_king23

Geeze Louise, it's the last Tuesday (Takeaway) before payday! And thank Entropy, 'cause i'm broke.

Tangle Temple - xX_StevenBoss_Xx

Not much changed here, but then again there's not really that much to change. Really the only problem is how the foreground blocks you from seeing where you are. That's not always a bad thing, mind; but if there are hazards, i do think it should be avoided. Weird but useful thing, decorations on Opacity 0 sticker material are visible, but decorations on things with Opacity Tweakers on them will fade in and out just like anything else.

Night Falls - stfuwiththat

Man...that name. i think i was happier not knowing the final section was covered with spikes, really. The first time i made it through everything went smooth as silk. Once i noticed it was all spiked up on my third playthrough, suddenly i'm timing all my jumps like garbage. i do think they could have put a checkpoint at the top of that shaft right before you get into Spike-ville proper, that would probably cut the frustration of dying there down quite a bit. Aside, but i have never been able to get over one of those connected-by-string plank bridges without falling through a gap at least once. This goes all the way back to LBP1.

Shiny Nature - Ximuri

On one hand, i wish i'd known this was an LBP2 level before i slotted it on the playlist. On the other, if i had known, i'd probably have never gotten a chance to give one of Ximuri's levels a whirl, since all of their LBP3 stuff is over the 2000plays cap. *shrug* It's as fun and relaxing as it looked, and it was nice to go through some well-put together LBP2-era level design (though i have had a little more opportunity to do that since starting up LBsP). i think i know how they did the floating water at the end. Couldn't you set emitters and creatinators to put out water, then pause in create mode and capture it as an object? You could do that with paint blobs. i think Ximuri did that, and then slapped an Anti-grav tweaker on the result. At any rate it looked as cool the fourth time as it had the previous three.

Inked Out - tinpig-65

Yeah...i blew through my five lives really early on this go around. i have the feeling this level is probably more fun to watch someone go through than to actually play yourself. Preferably someone who can breeze through it at a decent clip. It's...i can't really say it's a shame, because tinpig is successful in what they seem to be going for, but... Funny thing, but i'd actually had another tinpig level on my possibles list (The Search For....umm...something or other. 2), i went with Inked Out, because it seemed to be something a little more in my wheelhouse. Maybe i should have gone with the other one. At least i could have avoided having a level get Team Picked out from under me again.

Tiki Jungle Ruins - shookboys99

It's funny how knowing a little bit more of a creator's background can change your perspective on things. Personally, i can hardly remember what i was doing or what i was like at 7...i think smashing Matchbox cars with a mallet? Maybe that was 6, The point being, i highly doubt i'd have had the patience to put together a level like this one, even with encouragement and help with logic. It certainly works well enough as a short Oddsock racer, the bounce can break the flow of things a bit, but part of that was me forgetting just how far you can go with the spring. i probably could have kept up a bit more of a pace if i'd trusted it more. It wouldn't hurt to have just a little more decoration in there maybe on a piston or wobble bolt to give it a touch of movement, but really this is a very minor point in the scheme of things. Shookboys (Shook-Jr? There is just the one boy, right?) has done a good job here, and the level ought to get a little more love. i'll be interested to see how his skills continue to grow (let's all keep our fingers crossed that Sony with leave the remaining servers alone long enough for that to happen).

So i think that's probably the that, this go about. Nothing stand-out bad, all the levels had their flaws, but all of them had some notable high points as well. Thanks as always for your support, and to everyone still out there putting things together in LittleBigPlanet-Land.

Behind the Curtains Stuffs: Level recording's all wrapped up for Episode 048. We haven't done any hub work, but that's far less of an issue than it would have been two months ago, so i'm not sweating. That's...really...that's it. Weird.

PSN
    waffle_king23

Alright folks, we're back again for another round here.

This week we're taking a look at:

Telesack! - Grand_Micha
    The Land of Oddsock - Idx_olly
    Sapphire - shompatipustibom
    悪党の館 (Villain's Mansion) - ryouchan-0000
    Laboratorio de olografo - pabloiica

It's a...well, it's a mixed bag of levels here, the good ones hit good quite strongly, the not so good ones, yeah, they're not so good. On the other hand, there's nothing terribad, and they could all stand a look at.

As always, thanks to all of you for the support. We're looking down the barrel of it with 5episodes left in the series. Let's do eet!

Behind the Curtains Stuffs:

Got the intro for episode 048 recorded yesterday, and the set-up for the outro done as well. Going to get the secondary level recordings, outro, and editing done once i finish up with this, so...i guess, a few hours off schedule. Actually have a long week-end, woot, four whole days (though some of them are already eaten by other engagements), so there's not that pressure on my neck. Should be able to get one or two LBsP episodes out as well.

So...got a bit of a bonus in my paycheck this week (might have mentioned that in a previous post, basically i sold back a chunk of paid holidays, since i never get to use them, and i can only stock 40at a time). Got it into my head to pick up a Nintendo Switch, i mean i don't really have scads of time, but it's been something i've had my eyes on for awhile, and,,,well to get to the point of it, you cannot buy one of those things for love or money. Every shop i went to has been sold out since forever, and has no idea when they'll have stock again. My nephew got his by winning a store lottery just for the opportunity to buy one. Like, i know, from a business standpoint why this happens (particularly with Nintendo), but it kind of flummoxes me to not be able to buy something in this day and age. It feels very 1990s.

21. Thanks!

Thanks for sharing! I will watch the video soon!

PSN
    waffle_king23

Man...is it Tuesday (Takeaway) again? Already?

Telesack! - Grand_Micha

Playing through this one again, and i still think the presentation could use a fair amount of work. Also, for some reason, velociraptors would sometimes send me to completely different puzzle rooms. Something i didn't notice the first few times, but you can just skip the whole thing and go to the scoreboard if you want. Teleportation to the room only happens if you're in the same layer as the room number stickers. i think this could be worked into a good level, but it would take a pretty thorough going over.

Land of Oddsock - Idx_olly

i completely stuffed up my play this go around, maybe my brain is still half-asleep. i should hope not, seeing as it's already 10a. i just found out the rotating Oddsock statues are actually secret bonuses, so that was neat. This is still a solid and fun level, though the background and the bright white stars do wash out the dotted line blocks you need to run on at times. One of my favourite things is when a level builds itself as you go along, and i enjoyed seeing it here again.

Sapphire - shompatipustibom

i really want to know what's up with shom's name. Is it an actual word, just in a language i don't know? Is it a portmanteau (which is also in a language i don't know)? Mysterious. Had a lot of fun with this one again. Matching my pace to the level and i actually managed to get through without dying, which was a bit of a shock. Shom's got another level out, Ganesha i think it's called, which is beautiful, but i had an awful lot of trouble figuring out where to go. i'll have to give it another go later on.

Villain's Mansion - ryouchan-0000

i did manage to kill the Toggle without being noticed this time around. Don't really understand how, but i'll take it. Not much more to say about this one beyond what was in the episode. The power-up's great, as is the way it interacts with the level. The stealth aspects were cool. i liked the enemy characters, even if it felt like their costumes weren't well suited to the setting. Looking at their moon and it doesn't seem there're more levels in this series, which is a shame, it really seems like the set up to a story mode adventure,

Laboratorio de olografo - Pabloiica

So...i mean, it's not a bad level, but there's really not a lot of meat on its bones as far as gameplay. You get that power-up, but you have so few opportunities to use it. Taking a look at their moon, Pabloiica has 15levels published, stretching back to at least this time last year. This was their most current one. i think if it was their first, i'd be a little more generous with it. Which is not to say everyone can (or should) have a sharp improvement arc in their creating. People ought to make whatever makes them happy, but...i don't know, this one feels very early.

So that's the that for this week. Some really fun levels, and nothing that was without all worth. Definitely worth a look at.

Behind the Curtains Stuffs

Not too much, really. 048's wrapped and uploaded. Progress moves along on 049, at this pace we should have it done Friday, or Saturday morning at latest. We seem to have finally settled into a production schedule that also allows for some free time for just-me play. Which is good, seeing as, you know, new Switch. On that subject, i think Splatoon2 is the first open-online multiplayer game i've ever had fun with, and i'm having a lot of fun with it. Even when my team completely pooches the round, i still feel like i enjoyed myself. It probably helps that i can't hear any of the other players, which allows me to imagine they're all decent folks who're just having a good time. That's a nice fantasy, isn't it? Playing through Breath of the Wild on and off too. It's fun, but it hasn't quite got its hooks in me. Mario Kart 8...eh...i've only played in 50cc, and it's way too easy...like i was stone-drunk and probably 10years out of practice, and still i easily took first in every race. i mean, sure, 50cc, but still? Also, red/blue shells and lightning bolts don't really need to be a dime a dozen.

24. Thanks!

Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 7 8 9 10 LastLast