BG1, PRELOAD BG2, PRELOAD

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Sir monacle View Post
    This seems to be a nice li'l series! To mix things up a bit, try looking at some levels from other LittleBigPlanet games. ...Or don't, I guess it's up to you!

[Edit:] A lot of these levels seem really popular! To keep a few people interested, it may be a good idea to look at some of the newer/less popular creators, as well as to look at some of the more popular ones.
    *nods* i've certainly got nothing against putting up LBP1&2 levels, though i tend to lean a little toward ones from 3 because i heard (and i may be wrong about this) that some levels made in earlier games don't always function when played through 3. i've played one level that just wouldn't work, but i can't tell if that was because it was broken, or made with an earlier iteration.

100% agree about putting up levels with fewer plays. When i'm looking for the week's set list, if there're options available, i usually go for the newest made/lowest plays. It's a bit of a quirk of the selection process that i end up with creators who have at least some recognition. i'm trying to refine it to get a wider variety, but we'll see how well it turns out.

Thanks much for the interest, and especially for the feedback! i need as much as i can get, 'cause i'm pretty much flying by the seat of my pants.

Have a great day!
    Almost back, so excited.

2. Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by waffleking23 View Post
    *nods* i've certainly got nothing against putting up LBP1&2 levels, though i tend to lean a little toward ones from 3 because i heard (and i may be wrong about this) that some levels made in earlier games don't always function when played through 3. i've played one level that just wouldn't work, but i can't tell if that was because it was broken, or made with an earlier iteration.

100% agree about putting up levels with fewer plays. When i'm looking for the week's set list, if there're options available, i usually go for the newest made/lowest plays. It's a bit of a quirk of the selection process that i end up with creators who have at least some recognition. i'm trying to refine it to get a wider variety, but we'll see how well it turns out.

Thanks much for the interest, and especially for the feedback! i need as much as i can get, 'cause i'm pretty much flying by the seat of my pants.

Have a great day!
    Thank you for the reply!

Yes, sadly due to what I think might be changes in logic, some LittleBigPlanet 2 levels do not work in LittleBigPlanet 3. I personally would recommend playing levels in their respected games, as if you play a LittleBigPlanet 1 level in any other game, all logic, wether hidden or not, will be visible.

I hope this helps!

signature 2016: "2016 yet I'm still using a PlayStation 3...." --sir monacle

signature 2017: "The more you struggle with something, the more rewarding it feels to finish it." --sir monacle

Level completed: 84%, Points required for next Level: 151
    Overall activity: 32.0%
    7 days registered 1000 Experience Points 500 Experience Points 250 Experience Points 100 Experience Points
    PSN
    waffle_king23

i'd love to play straight-up LBP1 & 2 again, but alas, my ps3 has long since gone to the console graveyard (it didn't catch on fire, but it was pretty close at the end). Maybe one of these days i'll be able to invest in a new one. Though, i'd have to figure out how to do recording on it, evrything i'm doing now is through Share/Share Factory.
    Almost back, so excited.

5. Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by waffleking23 View Post
    i'd love to play straight-up LBP1 & 2 again, but alas, my ps3 has long since gone to the console graveyard (it didn't catch on fire, but it was pretty close at the end). Maybe one of these days i'll be able to invest in a new one. Though, i'd have to figure out how to do recording on it, evrything i'm doing now is through Share/Share Factory.
    That's a shame.

The way most people record things on their Ps3 is by using a capture card. I think you can buy them online some-what cheap and very expensive, but I'm not quite sure, due to the fact that we live in different regions.

I'm not too sure on how a capture card works, because I've honestly never used one. From what I've seen, however, you will also need a computer if you want to use one.
    Last edited by Sir monacle; 02-07-2017 at 05:07 AM.

signature 2016: "2016 yet I'm still using a PlayStation 3...." --sir monacle

signature 2017: "The more you struggle with something, the more rewarding it feels to finish it." --sir monacle

7 days registered 1000 Experience Points 500 Experience Points 250 Experience Points 100 Experience Points
    PSN
    waffle_king23

Quote Originally Posted by Sir monacle View Post
    That's a shame.

The way most people record things on their Ps3 is by using a capture card. I think you can buy them online some-what cheap and very expensive, but I'm not quite sure, due to the fact that we live in different regions.

I'm not too sure on how a capture card works, because I've honestly never used one. From what I've seen, however, you will also need a computer if you want to use one.
    Huh, i think it'd be doable, i'm sure i could find someone or some site to walk me through it; but it'll be on the backburner right now, way too much going on in life. Thanks for the heads up on capture cards, though!

------------------------

Beep beep boop.

The Tuesday Takeaway.

-Picnic Time
    A solid little platformer that doesn't do anything revolutionary, but doesn't make a lot of missteps, either. A cohesive and fitting set of materials, and appropriate decorations along with. The hook hat actually gets fairly good use (and bursting through biscuits was a nice touch); the addition of the blunk ball justified having to use the sack pocket, but having only one related obstacle didn't really justify the blink ball. Still, all in all, a nice, straight-forward platformer.

-Go Ahead Climber
    Well put together stage that has a clear idea on what it expects the player to be doing, and how to get them to do it. It's pretty easy to keep a good momentum throughout the actual play sections. The giant knives as a hazard aren't, perhaps, digetically appropriate, but did lend a nice LBP1 feel to things. The real stand-out, though, is the plant man, and how he interacts with the stage. He gives a bit of a cinematic feel to things. The voice, though, could've been better chosen. Also, special props to the good choice of decos, they really help to soften the usual flatness of the rock.

- -Dario's Adventure-
    This one was really cool, once i figured out what was going on with it. i'm not sure why my brain so quickly insisted on the colour changes being related to special abilities, which threw me for a bit. i do think the early sign-posting with a slightly awkard camera angle proved to be a bit misleading. Still, once i got moving, i could really dig all the work that went on with this one. The animations, tthe incidental sound effects, it all really gels. i do wish there'd been a respawn after i blew myself up, but that was really just me being dumb and hasty; i doubt the creator'd really been expecting that reaction.

-Molten Metal Factory
    This one was a bit of a disappointment, to be honest. i really liked the presentation of the level itself, but found my actual movement through to be kind of awkward. That's a hard thing to nail, i think, keeping a player going smooth-like-butter. i feel like i want to kink out some theory on momentum and level design, but i'm not quite there yet.

-Colourful Darkness
    KG does have the right of it, with needing to keep the button pressed to have the illuminator stay on, it does make things feel a bit clumsy. i haven't played much with custom power-ups, but i wonder if you could set up a toggle in there. On the other hand, i think it can force the player to slow down, and think about their jumps and where they're going; and that's not necessarily a bad thing. i did warm up more to the level on my second go-through, and my biggest complaint was how short it ended up being; i really was hankering for a bit more at the end.

So that's the that. All in all an enjoyable passel of levels, and a few new creator's i got introduced to who i'd really like to take a closer look at, if i can ever budget the time for it. We've got this week's levels recorded and in the can. Actually, the intro and outro are done to, but the more i think about them, the more i think i'll rerecord them. i was having a little trouble keeping my thoughts in order, and it all felt kind of sloppy. That's the downside to doing it in one take, i suppose.

Thanks for all the support, everyone. Hope y'all have a great day!
    Almost back, so excited.

PSN
    waffle_king23

Stone the crows, it's a quarter of the year done, then. Up and live here.

This week's looked at levels:

Like Clockwork - Crysnboo2
    Color of Verdure - sakuransakuran
    Complex Machinery - Marbleking
    Tea and Spikes - Pign
    Circus in the Sky - Ewug_katommo

Interesting mix of levels today. Still trying to to get my level finding technique just where i want it, but i like what came up this go (for the most part).

As always, thank you, everyone, for the support and feedback. Especially feedback, there're always ways i can improve. i think i may actually be able to get next week's episode in the can today, which would put me ahead of the curve for once (if i can figure out why the lip-sync animator keeps making characters rotate).

Keep yourselves well, and have a great day!
    Almost back, so excited.

German Community Moderator CuriousSack's Avatar
    Level completed: 48%, Points required for next Level: 991
    Overall activity: 99.9%
    100 Experience Points 7 days registered 250 Experience Points 30 days registered 500 Experience Points
    PSN
    CuriousSack
    Blog Entries

New stuff for weekend! Thanks a lot for all your recommendations and reviews!
    Have a fine weekend and many greetings, Jürgen^^

10. Thanks!

LBPCentral Spotlight CrewLBPCentral Spotlight Crew biorogue's Avatar
    Level completed: 99%, Points required for next Level: 13
    Overall activity: 86.0%
    PSN
    jester946
    Blog Entries

Keep up the great work!

Follow me on the twitterz @bioswoop

PSN
    waffle_king23

Thanks a lot folks! i'll do my best!

- - - - - - - - - -

Beep beep boop, the Tuesday Takeaway

This episode was kinda wysiwyg, which is kinda nice, but doesn't leave a lot for the takeaway.

Like Clockwork - Crysnboo2

A nice, solid, but very short level here. It does serve my clockwork fetish, which is always a good thing, though to be honest, it's really on the superficial side of things. That is to say, the clockwork doesn't really add much to the level, or inform the gameplay, it's just a flourish, but i'm ok with that. i still feel there should have been a different choice of base material. The brass isn't bad, but since the clockwork is also brass, it all kind of washes out. The cameras in that climbing section should be tightened, though; it's pretty easy to brush up against the flame walls there.

Color of Verdure - sakuransakuran

We've all made levels like this one, i imagine. Probably didn't publish them, but made them, sure. All the usual early creating mistakes are on display here. Big geometric shapes. Camera way pulled back. No real connection between level and gameplay elements. The level stands, at the very least, as an object lesson of things to avoid. Like is said in the video, the checkpoints were, at least, a step in a more interesting direction, though there was something off with them, where they didn't seem to be triggering just right, i checked out sakuransakuran's planet, and they didn't have much else on display. i hope they're still creating, and we'll see some growth from them some day.

Complex Machinery - Marbleking

i think the tactile feel of the level is what really sells it for me. That's something that LBP (as a series) fairly quickly moved away from. Even before 2 gave us microchips, people were trying to hide their work off-screen, and make their pistons and the like invisible. i'm not going to throw shade on that; heck, i do the same thing in my stages. On the other hand, having most all the moving bits on screen does lend a particularly LBP feel to things; like the level's been put together with stuff found around the playroom. All of that, i think, makes the late-level switch all the more jarring. The more i think about it, the more i think Marbleking should've just left that bit for another level. It's good, as far as puzzling-play; but it's a poor fit for what's come before. You know...thinking of that though...a level that kind of "evolved" from a LBP1 to 2 to 3 style (vis-a-vis tools/logic/gameplay/presentation) might be an interesting thing to play.

Tea and Spikes - Pign

i'm not entirely sure what to say about this one, except for the fact that this one hit's all my "i like" buttons. Well, most all of them. If it weren't for the lag issue, this would be one of those stages i'd go back to again and again. As it is, i'll probably just go back to it periodically; but that's still more than i can say about 90% of the levels i play.

Circus in the Sky - Ewug_katomo

i think we've covered this one pretty well already. To add a note, though, i played Ewug's other LBP3 stage on their planet. It's Cubist something or other, i don't remember the name off-hand. It's another visually interesting fun stage that ends in exactly the same way Circus does. So...i guess that's less a tongue-in-cheek thing, and a more finishing levels is a recognized issue for Ewug. Still, give his other level a look-see as well. Ewug is not lacking skill in creating.
    Almost back, so excited.

PSN
    waffle_king23

This week's episode ought to be up over here

We're taking a look at

Tropical Breeze - Sniperkiller911
    Popit Doodles - PGryan10
    Boolean Blueprints - shamanate
    Gardens of Japan3 - theduchessjr
    Professor Snootington's... - SuperKing_001

Not a bad set of levels in the main, though i'll hold off anything more in depth for the moment. Tried a few new things w/r/t recording, some of which i'll probably keep. i ended up needing to re-record the intro/outro a few times, which was not superfun, but pushed me to set up a second track of dialogue so i wouldn't have to wait the middle fifteen minutes every time. i might refine that a little more; while i do like having a bit of dead space to think about what i want to say, saving time is nothing to turn my nose up at, since i try to record before leaving for work. Not sure how i feel about using sequencers for the dialogue. On the one hand, it made for fewer button inputs for the dialogue; on the other it really didn't make for smooth camera work the way i'd expected. Maybe because i was using game cameras, not movie cameras (but with movie cameras, you're stuck with letterboxing, right?).

Anyway, fun to play, interesting to record; been at this for a quarter of a year, and am still having a good time with it. That's largely up to y'all. i appreciate the support and feedback, and hope you're enjoying it as much as i've been.

Thanks as always, and have a great day!
    Almost back, so excited.

PSN
    waffle_king23

Beep beep boop, the Tuesday Takeaway

Tropical Breeze - Sniperkiller911
    First off, that's not the most awkward screenname i've come across, but it's at least one state over. Also, this level is not tropical, really, i call shenanigans. It is clearly a deciduous forest we've got going on here.
    Snark aside, this is a very nice and chill level. A lot of effort went into selling the setting, but also into selling the pace. Like i said in the video, the various elements of music, lighting, decoration/design come together to convey the player doesn't need to whipsaw through. Personally, having pace and atmosphere mesh makes for a much more enjoyable experience.
    The platforming is solid, if no paricularly great shakes. Using the grabbable bits as flingers was nice, though they can be hard to spot at first. There are a few spots where you might miss a jump, because of forced layer changes & the anticipation thereof, but that doesn't come up over-much. All in all a solid experience.

Popit Doodles - PGryan10
    i really wanted to like this one more than i ended up doing. The fault is mostly on me. i'm really unfamiliar with using the popit tool in levels, so constantly going in and out of it trying to figure out what i was missing got a bit frustrating. It might have been better to have a little tutorial section at the beginning to lay out what would be expected later in the level. It's hard to judge just how much a player is going to know about mechanics (though, i would say, if you're introducing a custom power-up, or drastically monkeying around with game mechanics, there should definitely be something like that).
    Still, like i said, that's an issue between couch and controller. The level itself has an aesthetic i really dig, and the power up is put to some interesting uses. i think breaking the level could have been anticipated by the creator, though, so a few points get dinged for letting the level progress without an option for unpausing. i really want to get back to this one knowing how it works, and see if i feel a little differently about it.

Boolean Blueprints - Shamanate
    In presentation, this one could be the wombmate of Popit Doodles, though i think Shamanate put a little more thought into incorporating interaction indicators with the blueprint backgrounds. It really looks like someone's sketched their design notes out. Though, as a small negative, since we're talking presentation; having the sackyhing tearouts when you break through walls was really cute, but they could've been timed a bit better to sell the effect, the destroyer doesn't trigger until you're well through the wall.
    The gameplay is fairly smooth, there's nothing that's going to have you tearing your hair out. i really enjoyed the exposed logic, and though they made for an interesting take on bonuses. Sometimes the camera makes them a bit over-obscure, but on the other hand, they are kinda secrets, so i have to give that a pass. This one ened up being a lot of fun, and really ought get a little more community love.

Gardens of Japan 3 - Morning Twilight - theduchessjr
    You know, i just noticed the oxymoron in the title, and now i can't unsee it.
    There's not a huge amount to say about this one. It's a simple, straight-forward platformer that's really more a vehicle for showing off an environment. i can't really fault it for that. There were some nice flourishes, like the butterflies, and the music is really quite nice. There's more gameplay going on than you usually find in stages like these, and i do appreciate that. i just wish it had been a little bit on the shorter side. There's just not quite enough going on with the gameplay to keep me engaged; and while it all, absolutely, looks nice, it's not nice enough i felt like dawdling.

Professor Snootington's Not-at-all-festive School of Platforming - SuperKing_001
    Man, that title. i shoulda known it'd be trouble just from that. This one was weird, because mechanically it's decent. Well, aside from the monkeybars. But decent alone isn't going to sell a level and there's just nothing else here. There is the Professor, but he stops being funny pdq. i dunno, maybe it blossoms into something amazing later on, i gave up on it after being presented with the third or fourth monkeybars segment. Because, really, to hell with monkey bars.

So that's the that for this week. i can definitely recommend four out of five levels for a run-through.
    This week's level segments are in the bag, and the intro/outro should be done tomorrow. i'm poking around with sequensers to make for a smoother experience.

Thanks for all the support, and have a great day!
    Almost back, so excited.

PSN
    waffle_king23

This week's episode should be up here

We're taking a look at Companion levels this time around with

Oddsock in Ghost Town - Syd1996
    What goes Up.. - dran-yam
    Swoop's Dreamland - DiamondDiancie10
    THE LITTLE BACKGROUND PLAYGROUND - TJSeven
    Neon Dimension: Rush - Chronos453

This one's a touch late, sorry about that. Came down to the wire with recording; still not super happy with the intro/outro, but needs must when the devil drives, as the say. Still, it was fun putting together, and all the levels deserve a looksee.

Thanks for all the support folks. Hope you enjoy the episode, and have a great day.

Now, back to sleep for me; got a cold that's kicking my head in.
    Almost back, so excited.

100 Experience Points 7 days registered 250 Experience Points 30 days registered 500 Experience Points
    PSN
    CuriousSack
    Blog Entries

Thank you once again for all your efforts and get well soon again! Have a fine weekend and many greetings, Jürgen^^

17. Thanks!

PSN
    waffle_king23

Thanks a lot Jurgen, i just needed a few days not running around like a crazy person.

Beep beep boop, time for the Tuesday Takeaway.

Oddsock in Ghost Town - Syd1996
    Bouncy Oddsock can be a lot of fun when done right, and i think this is a pretty good showcase of that. The level does a solid job of keeping the player moving, aside from a bit inside a ghost snake 3/4s through the stage. It was cool, mind, just slows things down a bit. What really got me though was just how well-presented the stage was thematically, all the decorative work, of course, but also getting the set pieces to be reflective of thhe tone and atmosphere. Syd didn't need to make that elevator ride up a set of vertebrae, f'rex; but it fit things so well. This is is one of those stages i come across sometimes that really wouldn't feel out of place in the main game itself, i love that (i could snark about how being able to fall out of the level a few times makes it a good fit for LBP3 in particular...but i won't).

What goes up... - dran-yam
    i think i might have been a little more forgiving on this one if i'd realized there wouldn't be any Lil Toggle in it before i'd started. It really is a nice one, and any interesting look at giving characters built in abilities. i should point out, since i harp on this all the time, that the "tutorial" area was well done and appreciated. i do thing dran might've done well too have given the logic a few more test passes, it wasn't always super smooth in recognizing inputs, which is a problem in a later section. Still it was pretty cool. Really liked the deco/material choices and presentation, also the use of layers towards the end. Folks should definitely give this one a spin.

Swoop's Dreamland - DiamondDiancie10
    i so wanted to green circle this one. The gameplay is pretty stanndard Fetch-Swoop, but it's well-handled, and some ofnthe puzzles are a touch tricky. The presentation is top-notch throughout (though i'm not a huge fan of recorded voices, they almost always end up sounding a bit tinny). It actually has a story. It all really good...and then you get to the boss.
    Mind, it's not a bad boss, really. i'm sure a lot of work went into putting it together, i do appreciate that (my one boss i've made certainly taught me that even a mediocre one is not easy to make). It is just so difficult, and focusing on skills (here quick evasion) you won't have needed at all up to that point. Of course, now that i think of it, mine does the same thing. Still, i think the bosses that work best are ones where the preceding areas function as a kind of training for how you'll handle the eventual fight (unless the game is aleady focused around s narrow set of mechanics you're already using all the time). That way the players can focus on the fight itself, which (at least for me) results in fewer deaths that feel cheap. Also, on the point of cheap deaths, check points should be set out of range from the boss's attacks, or the attacks should pause/reset upon death. i got spawnlocked for about ten lives 'cause the tracking laser homed in on the checkpoint and just sat there.

The Little Background Playground - TJSeven
    i don't know what was going on here, really. Like i said in the episode, it felt like TJ had a bunch of promises made that they really didn't know how to pull off. The first 1/4 or so was nice enough, if a little basic in the actual gameplay. The decorating was pretty well-done, the music was good (and original), i actually liked the Hook Hat section, and that's a rarity. The wheels come off fairly quickly, though, and the end result comes off as rough, thrown together, and unfinished. Also, creators, if you must include community objects/stickers as prizes, and you must make them unavoidable, please don't dump 26of them on a body all at once.

Neon Dimension: Rush - Chronos453
    This one's the cream of the crop for the week for sure. i love stages that just let you tear ***, and this is one of those. Like most races, it helps to have familiarity with the course; but since i felt like i was going so fast (though the stage itself isn't really that short), i didn't mind jumping right back in. Ended up tripling my score, i think. It's also a good example of how much you can do with a limited material selection (also, on presentation, how much better flat black works as a background over different colours). Another solid thing to pick up here is the use of repeated (but steadily more difficult) set-pieces. Kind of going back to what i was saying about bosses, it lets players refine a skill while ramping up the challenge. i notice a lot of leves that don't do this, and even when they're well-put together, they always wind up feeling a touch random. Lots to learn with this one.

So, pretty happy with the spread here. Even "...Playground" had a few things to teach. i enjoyed the chance to tool around with the other characters, and will probably look to include one or two of their levels every few weeks or so. i'm still trying to kink out the cameras in the hub. i may need to accept that the space is too limited to get what i want easily, but that's alright. i'll post an update in the other thread, this post has taken up most of my between class breaks (please don't get eaten).

Thanks, as always, for everything, folks. Y'all have a great day!
    Almost back, so excited.

PSN
    waffle_king23

Alright, back for round 15. This week we're looking at

Black 'n White - adtk
    Swwoper - Thinga-Ma-Jig
    Mirai Mirai - XZombieKing1999X
    Ghosts. - HalfUp
    Pinky's Workshop! - jhonsiak

A lot of good, and one real oddball this time around. Managed to get a Swoop level in there, relatively fresh off the presses...which has picked up a slew of plays since i did the recording, so...it might not be as fresh as i'd hoped by now (really? A thousand plays in 8days? Well done).

Ended up going back to the simple game cameras for the moment, still not quite getting what i want yet, but we'll keep working on it.

Thanks everyone for keeping up with this, and as always for all the feedback. Hope you enjoy the episode this go around, and have a great day!
    Almost back, so excited.

20. Thanks!

PSN
    waffle_king23

Beep boop boop! It's the Tuesday (actually Wednesday) Takeaway!

Black 'n White - adtk

This was a nice chill level. Lots of little background details and animations. Some simple platforming, but nothing particularly stressful. Great music, and a rare use of sharp contrast in color and lighting. This makes for a solid cool down level if you've had a few frustrating levels crop up. i do think that some of the climbable areas could have been a bit better marked (there's one toward the end that's easy to miss). Also, i still, personally, constantly forget that you just need to run into bounce pads set at a 45degree angle to get thrown at an angle. i always try to jump on them, and that's no help.

Swooper - Thinga-Ma-Jig

To be perfectly honest, i wasn't a huge fan of the mechanic here, particularly the need to occasionally go into the Poppit to...err...pop yourself. However, i do appreciate interesting new uses of base gameplay, and i can't argue that it wasn't well implemented in the stage. Thinga clearly thought and planned out where it would be necessary and had those areas clearly marked out. i liked the slightly more fast-paced puzzling/flying (as compared to last week's Swoop's Dreamland, which was fun, and pretty, but very slow). You could argue that the boss is a bit of a departure from the stage's focus (you need to die to progress, oh wait, try not to die here), but isn't so far from the basic gameplay you've been doing that it doesn't feel jarring. Also it looks really nice and fits the stage well in theme. The death counter for prizes at the end was a cute idea, though it's pretty unforgiving. A better player than myself probably wouldn't have too much trouble getting top ranks, though.

Mirai Mirai - XZombieKing1999X i'm still wondering if the creator's supposed to be a king who is a zombie, or a king of the zombies, or possibly both. Neither here nor there, i suppose. This one's a nice, fairly simple world-as-level example. It manages to integrate the platforming with the setting in a way that doesn't take you out of things, Considering the focus on this being a world, i think things were just a touch too crisp, but that is a super minor point. There's really nice use of the neon material for accent, and tons of nice incidental details. The puzzle elements in the outside areas a relatively simple, but still fun to work through; though the more straight-forward platforming once you're inside the factory may present a bit of a jump in difficulty (especially the hero cape bits). All in all a fun level to go through, for sure.

Ghosts. - HalfUp

Like it says, "There are ghosts." Nothing to see here. Move along. That's not entirely fair, there's a neat platforming element to play with, but it's not really a level, per se. i don't really understand why there wouldn't be a prize bubble with a ghosty-launcher in it, seeing as this is basically a gallery. Who knows? Maybe i really did miss something completely, stupidly obvious. Still, take a look at some of HalfUp's other levels. They're both levels, and not bad at all.

Pinky's Workshop - jhonsiak

Ended up a bit on the fence with this one. On the one hand, the first 3/4's or so are pretty decent, nicely presented platforming. Sure, there could have been a bit more decoration (or a tighter close up) in some of the more open areas, but there are some nice touches here and there. The hook hat bits aren't particularly difficult, but they are fun, and make pretty solid use of layers. But it just goes on and on. Really, the level could've been ended before the introduction of the Blink Ball, and it would've been a perfectly acceptable experience. It doesn't help that the few bits that use the Blink Ball are pretty frustrating. Maybe it's just me, i can never seem to aim the stupid thing. Still, it's not bad, definitely worth a runthrough. Just set aside a bit of extra time (especially since there will be a few loading issues along the way).

So that's the takeaway this week. A nice set of levels all around. Even Ghosts. can be fun if you know what you're going into. Like i mentioned in the blog, i'm actually ahead of schedule this week; so i might actually be able to figure out what's going on with my cameras, or at least how to better get them to do what i want them to do. At the very least, i'll be able to put together a few things for future episodes, and save a little time there. Or maybe do level recordings for next week's episode. Who knows? The world is my oyster? i guess? i've never actually been a huge oyster fan.

Thanks a lot for all the support folks; glad you're having as much fun with this as i am.
    Almost back, so excited.

22. Thanks!

PSN
    waffle_king23

Okee dokee, round 16 is outta the oven.

This week we're taking a look at:

Mr Moon & Mrs Sun - atoxguu
    Mushroom hamlet - SnakeOwl
    The Flood - Prattz
    Azure Station - rheisa-87
    Land Of The Sun - Addictex

All around a lot of fun this week. No weird levels-which-are-in-fact-not-levels. Everything's worth taking a look at. Which reminds me, i keep the levels on playlists on my lbp.me. i keep the weekly lists separate until the month rolls over, and then bundle them up into one. If you're looking for something we've gone over, and don't feel like digging through the forum, there you go. Though...do us both a favour, and avoid lists for videos that aren't up yet. Or don't, i suppose. Were you the kid that always peeped their Christmas presents early?

As always, i want to throw a huge thank you to y'all. i've been having a great time with this, and it's only gotten more fun as the process has gotten more streamlined. And to any viewers who don't pop up in the threads, don't be a stranger, yeah?

Have a great day, everyone!
    Almost back, so excited.

24. Thanks!

PSN
    CuriousSack
    Blog Entries

Thanks again, you saved my weekend!
    Many greetings, Jürgen^^

26. Thanks!

PSN
    waffle_king23

Thank you, Jurgen!

Beep boop boop, the Tuesday Takeaway.

Mr Moon & Mrs Sun - atoxguu
    This one was interesting. i found myself really enjoying the sync mechanic, particularly on my second full playthrough, when i knew to keep my distance from Mrs Sun. i still think R1 was a poor choice for it, though. Later on there's a bit where you have to pull a couple of heavy blocks, and having her grab onto you makes it a bit frustrating. i did manage to save Mrs Sun this go, though i have no idea how i did it. As an aside, i knew a Mr Moon when i was a kid. He always claimed to have done drywalling for the Iron Sheikh.

Mushroom hamlet - SnakeOwl
    It's back up now, and at 15,000+ plays as of this morning. Stone the crows. Going through this time and i didn't notice anything changed, it was the same very charming take on Grabbinators as it was the first time. Still hella fun, though. Tried out the different music tracks this time. They're all pretty good, i really cottonned to the third one. Onevery minor quibble, on the ramp, as so often with ramps, you can fall through the bottom and out of the level. It was more funny than annoying here, probably because the rest of the level was so solid.

The Flood - Prattz
    i ended up liking this one more and more each time i played it. It's a good example of having a relatively simple presentation (w/r/t materials and decos) that allows more focus on gameplay, without losing a sense of place or style. The obstacles are challenging, fairly varied within their theme, and keep the pkayer moving. It's not particularly long, but i was left feeling it hadn't worn out its welcome. There's a possibly unnecessary boss at the end, but the sequence is short, and really it's just about staying out of the way of a few attacks...so really more of an obstacle with a face.

Azure Station - rheisa-87
    This is another one focussed more on gameplay. It makes solid use of the DC introduced power-ups, though the wall jump is the one that sees the most play (which is fine by me, i could do with a little less of the hero cape). Most everything here is just a touch over mid-range difficulty, but nothing feels unfair...except for one bit of jumping on 1x1 small grid blocks that is blessedly very short. The environment is well-presented, and all the little details knit together cohesively; also, the music is great.

Land Of The Sun - Addictex
    This is a bit weird, as it didn't take nearly as long this morning as it did the day i was recording. i still like the presentation. The music remained simple, but cool. It was nice seeing an Egyptian theme; maybe there was a boom i missed, but i can't think of any other levels i've played that use it (the closest is generic desert). The stickler remains that boss. i did manage to beat it. Turns out i was overthinking the pattern on the lightning, it really was just left/right/left (continue ad infinitum). It's just not very fun, though. At least if you really whale on the weak points, you can get through it in just two cycles.

So, that's the that for last week. We've got all the levels recorded for this week's episode. Would've gotten everything wrapped up this morning, but one of the levels took forever to finish (even on a second go) so i ran out of time. Still, it ought to be in the can tomorrow.

As always, thanks to all of you for the support and feedback. It warms the cockles of my black, black heart.

Ahh...as an aside, before i forget. LBPtext censor, i know why we need you, but neither night nor punching are curses. And if you don't let me use the word Nazi, how can Frank talk about punching them?
    Almost back, so excited.

28. Thanks!

PSN
    waffle_king23

Guten morgen! Today's episode is up here

This week we're taking a look at

Toggle Temple - RamBoo20
    Bottom of the Beast - doomymood
    Chronometer - physicslike
    A Tomb With A You - SLS10
    Specify Gravity - actio1_618

Another set of fun and weird levels. Another couple of "waffle king grabbed this at 100plays, gets around to the recording, wow it's a lot more popular now," but sometimes thems the breaks.

Still having a great time with this, and i'm glad you're all enjoying things as well. As always, let me know your thoughts, positive or negative.

Thanks kindly, and have a great day!
    Almost back, so excited.

30. Thanks!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast