BG1, PRELOAD BG2, PRELOAD

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6
    German Community Moderator CuriousSack's Avatar
    Level completed: 53%, Points required for next Level: 902
    Overall activity: 100.0%
    100 Experience Points 7 days registered 250 Experience Points 30 days registered 500 Experience Points
    PSN
    CuriousSack
    Blog Entries

Hahaha, the same mind at the same time!

2. Thanks!

Level completed: 54%, Points required for next Level: 420
    Overall activity: 98.0%
    7 days registered 1000 Experience Points 500 Experience Points 250 Experience Points 100 Experience Points
    PSN
    waffle_king23

i'll look into the Muting options. i'd rather not monkey around with them, but if it becomes necessary i'll start doing it.

So something that came up over on LittleBigNetwork was the layout of the PiPs, and why i was going with Side-by-side. To my mind, SbS provides the largest PiP image, while still keeping me on the screen; but the question is valid, so i figured i'd put up some pictures of the available options, and see how everyone felt.

So...PiPs

Side-by-Side: Provides the largest Pip of the available options. The background image is an "outtake" from the week's episode.

Corner: Can be set in any of the corners. "Background" is track one of the recorded footage.

Offset: Background is the outtake image seen in Side by Side, though PiP is smaller.

Swivel: PiP is slightly larger than with Corner or Offset. No option to add a background image.

There's also a full-screen Center option that basically replaces the Track 1 footage, though a little smaller with a black border.

Thinking about it now, Center may be the best one to be using. It gives the largest image (obviously), at the cost of not being able to see the hub. Really, what i'd like best would be to be able to reverse the images and use Corner, but that doesn't seem to be an option (not without making the PiP Track 1, which i could do, but it would add in an lot more leg work, and adding more moving parts increases the possibility of something going sideways).

About the Background images with Side-by-side and Offset. Because of the way Offset is laid out, it feels too busy to me. Something that occurred to me was, instead of using Hub outtakes, either a scene from somewhere else, or maybe the Title Card without the Episode Name/Number. Basically i'm looking for something that will keep the details of the PiP clear to the viewer (especially if they're not watching on a TV), while preferably leaving the Hub on the screen. Though, as i said above, since i'm not really doing anything but standing in front of the boards, taking the Hub off and going with Center might be what i should be going with.

Let me know your thoughts. We've got 21 episodes left, so there's still time to improve things.

Thanks as always, and have a great day!
    Almost back, so excited.

Level completed: 14%, Points required for next Level: 519
    Overall activity: 99.0%
    100 Experience Points 7 days registered 250 Experience Points 500 Experience Points 30 days registered
    PSN
    sir_monacle

Aw, man! 21 episodes left? What am I going to eat my porridge with then?

Personally, I believe it depends on how important the level gameplay is, if you're using it just so we can get a refresher of the level, just to remind us of it, then maybe corner is best, as you can still interact with the hub, and review the level without stopping.

Side-by-side is handy if the level gameplay is more important then what's going on in the hub, you can still interact with the hub, but they're equally large, so it's up to the viewer to decide on which recording to focus on.

Offset could come in handy, but really, it's just a fancy version of the corner, coming with a nice background image.

Swivel, I view swivel just like 'offset', as in it could come in handy, especially with it being slightly larger, but it just looks fancier. Reminds me of a gameshow, actually.

Now, I am aware you could swap the recordings, as in the level gameplay is in the centre, and the hub is the corner, but I just shared my thoughts with the way you presented them.

I'm not an expert at this. They all look pretty!
    Last edited by Sir monacle; 1 Week Ago at 12:51 PM. Reason: I didn't mispell the word "aware" eith away. You're just remembering wrong!

signature 2016: "2016 yet I'm still using a PlayStation 3...." --sir monacle

signature 2017: "The more you struggle with something, the more rewarding it feels to finish it." --sir monacle

7 days registered 1000 Experience Points 500 Experience Points 250 Experience Points 100 Experience Points
    PSN
    waffle_king23

Good points, sir monacle! Right now i'm leaning toward Center if something is really important, and Swivel for everything else.
    And don't worry yet about the season wrapping up, it's not definite that i won't be continuing, i just want to be certain i can make another full-year commitment. i've got until November yet to see how i feel, and find ways to refine the process so it's not so time-intensive. At the very least, i'm about ready to start up my side-project. It'll basically be a stripped down version of R15F; just one level an episode, and no story Intro. On the other hand, it'll be more flexible, easier to produce, and something i could continue indefinitely.

Wub wub, it's the Tuesday Takeaway!

The Wood Palace V - will26571
    Still a fun and enjoyable level, but a third runthrough starts to rub the shine off a bit. It's not will26571's fault, really. One issue i find with levels so focused on puzzles/mechanical interaction is once you know what you're supposed to be doing, you can usually go through them like a hot knife through butter. Platformers or other action-y types can have an easier time maintaining a challenge, because timing and position come into play more. A little hybridization can give the level a little more legs.

Forest of the Ruins - VeryCoolMe
    Outside the 2D-to-3D moving bits, i'm still not seeing much carryover from Toggle and the Ninjas. The environmental design is much more abstract and stylized for one. This is good and bad, really. The more artificial bits, like the hanging purple rectangles, and the oversized, exposed logic, accented the more natural decorations quite well. On the other hand the long slabs of bright green whatever that you're running on are pretty ugly.

Heavenly Gardens - Ambrosia_Semele
    Knowing about the double-jump from the beginning makes all the early jumps so much easier. The level itself is very slight; there are only two areas you'll really visit. On the other hand, it's such a delight to look at i didn't end up minding that much. Having everything(?) loaded in up front helps too; like i said in the episode, Redwalker6's levels are amazing to wander through, but i spent something like 25minutes hung on loading screens when i was picking up extra footage this time.

Water Rise & Water Logged - AGACY
    Nothing much changed here, it's still fun, straight forward, and short; and i still haven't managed to beat Water Rise. i really like the tightness of the platforming, and i imagine it was easier to keep it consistent over such a tiny area. It's probably not fair to ding the level for not having some a feature that came out later, but on the other hand, it does effect the reaction to it. i mean, maybe the Model T was an engineering wonder for its day, but i probably feel a lot different driving one compared to something more modern.

Galactic Scarcity - CookieDelivery
    Nothing much different here. It's still a lot of fun, and chock-full of semi-random weirdness. i did have a lot more trouble with one of the hazards this time, but i think that was on me (the bit where you need to pass through the two green lightning bolts, i just could not get the timing right this go). i'm pretty sure this one's my favourite of the lot this week.

So, that's the that this week. Some stand-out good, and nothing really stand-out bad. Next episode's ready to ship, and i finished up filming the Intro, Title & End cards, and primary level footage for the 23rd's. With luck i'll be able to get everything else done tomorrow, which will leave me with a completely free Thursday for the first time in i don't even remember. i think i'll use some of it to put together a few episodes of the side-series (LittleBite-sizedPlanet!), and then get the heck out of the house. Weather's way too nice, and i'm way too pasty recently.

As always, thanks all of you! i hope you have a fine day!
    Last edited by waffleking23; 1 Week Ago at 07:31 AM.
    Almost back, so excited.

PSN
    waffle_king23

A two word title! Rarity!

So new episode ready to go here.

This week we're looking at:

Ruined Fortress - bak3rman_nz
    Toggle and the incredible Magnaticator - makeimi
    The rose and the residence where time stopped - baile-flamenco
    The drawn world - ZitanCarol
    Switch Central - peng_10-

It's really weird having a gap week again. i mean, i remember doing the episode, but it's all kind of dreamlike. i guess that'll make the Tuesday replay that much more necessary, though that's not a bad thing at all.

Still, the set's a fun one, and only the Toggle level presented issues, hopefully one of you lovely folks will be able to tell me where i was screwing up there.

Production asides: this one got put together before the PiP conversation, so we won't see the results of that until next week. Also, this may be before i did a second tweaking on the mic, so my voice may be a little soft again, sorry about that. We've got next week's episode in the can, and i'm getting more underway with the week after's set (i'm trying to kit up small pieces that i can use in the future, so it's easier to put things together in the end).

As always, thanks for all the support! It's a ball bringing these out to y'all, and i hope you're finding something interesting and fun. Take care, and have a great day!
    Almost back, so excited.

Level completed: 14%, Points required for next Level: 519
    Overall activity: 99.0%
    100 Experience Points 7 days registered 250 Experience Points 500 Experience Points 30 days registered
    PSN
    sir_monacle

Quote Originally Posted by waffleking23 View Post
    A two word title! Rarity!

So new episode ready to go here.

This week we're looking at:

The drawn world - ZitanCarol

It's really weird having a gap week again. i mean, i remember doing the episode, but it's all kind of dreamlike. i guess that'll make the Tuesday replay that much more necessary, though that's not a bad thing at all.

Still, the set's a fun one, and only the Toggle level presented issues, hopefully one of you lovely folks will be able to tell me where i was screwing up there.

Production asides: this one got put together before the PiP conversation, so we won't see the results of that until next week. Also, this may be before i did a second tweaking on the mic, so my voice may be a little soft again, sorry about that. We've got next week's episode in the can, and i'm getting more underway with the week after's set (i'm trying to kit up small pieces that i can use in the future, so it's easier to put things together in the end).

As always, thanks for all the support! It's a ball bringing these out to y'all, and i hope you're finding something interesting and fun. Take care, and have a great day!
    Heh, glad I woke up early this morning!

I've only watched about 5 seconds so far, but I've been having some audio troubles with your newer videos. Now, I wouldn't call it a "trouble", as I can still hear the videos perfectly, but they seem to be a tad quieter.

Comparing Hogwash to Rusted to the brand-spanking new Alice through the Looking Glass, there's certainly a difference. (Less so when comparing rusted to Looking Glass.)

Either way, I'm not sure why the audio's quieter, (I'm no magician!) but it's not exactly a problem, as I can still hear it perfectly clear.

I believe it's not just the MIC, either. (Or maybe I'm just going crazy? Do I look crazy!? You'd tell me if I looked crazy, right!?)

signature 2016: "2016 yet I'm still using a PlayStation 3...." --sir monacle

signature 2017: "The more you struggle with something, the more rewarding it feels to finish it." --sir monacle

PSN
    waffle_king23

Thanks Monacle! i feel like i'm getting a little bit better in the presentation side of things.

The voice volume is on the mic side, or rather, how granular the PS4 will let you be in adjusting. If i get the volume too high, there's a feedback buzz, too low and my voice gets drowned out by the game sound. i've been playing around trying to find the sweet spot. It's a lot easier with OBS, where you can adjust by decibel. With the PS4, there's just a slider, and it moves in pretty big increments.
    Almost back, so excited.

PSN
    waffle_king23

Beep beep, Tuesday Takeaway!

My feelings didn't change too much here. The retro-esque, semi-Donkey-Kong-ish game play is fun, the architecture is great. The music is solid, though i don't think the track fits the theme. i still feel bak3rman could've pushed this one just a bit more, and it would be a "finished" level. i did find the lack of point bubbles a bit odd, though.

So...i actually managed to beat this one here and...it really raises an issue that gets on my nerves a bit. So, the bit where i got stuck? Well you could pull the cage open by grabbing on the speaker and pulling. Why would a person even think to do that off-hand? Do people generally yank on speakers? Is that a thing that is done? Ok, i'm half kidding, but really; particularly in super-crufted levels, every extra bit of deco, or detail, will make any new element that much less noticeable as a gameplay element as opposed to more cruft. If something is an obviously grabbable bit, and the player misses it, that's on them; if you need them to grab something that's never otherwise grabbable, and they miss it, that's kind of on you. The rest of the level...i does have a lot of charm, but it is quite long, and i felt my self wanting to see the end of it before the end of it, to be perfectly honest.

This one charmed me from the get-go, and continued to do so everytime i went back to it. Even though playing once will give you the general tools you need to clear all the puzzles, i found my technique refining a bit more each go, so i could get through more efficiently (and more importantly without dying). i loved the weird Jhorror creatures towards the end, though i'm not familiar with Frog Girl. This is a solid example of making a puzzler fun enough to go back to again.

The Drawn World - ZitanCarol

This was a really cool level, that gets tripped up a bit by the hitbox on the power-up tool. The background is, i still think, too bright to get the full effect of what you're doing. All that aside, the third playthrough really made things click for me; enough so that i found myself wishing this had been spun out into a full adventure, 'cause i'd really gotten the hang of the PaintBrush by that point.

This one's a straight-up joy to look at and play through, but it can be really tricky, and a touch frustrating to actually play through. It doesn't help that it's not particularly difficult to break. Even still, i love non-standard uses of common tools, and this is a great example of that.

So...Yeah, except for the Toggle level, not much change. It's a fun set, and all of them are worth a play. Hope you give them a go and find something you like.

Behind the curtain stuff: Principal filming and secondary filming is finished except for the Outro. That, along with the editing, ought to be wrapped up tomorrow (i hope), which will leave us with a for real, for real, completely free Thursday (huzzah!). As a head's up for this Friday's R15F, it got super dinged for copyright, and there's a possibility there may be ads in it. That wasn't by choice on my end, though hopefully it won't come up at all (fingers crossed).

Thanks for all the support and have a great day!
    Almost back, so excited.

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6