BG1, PRELOAD BG2, PRELOAD

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Axis-3D

hehe, i kind of like the sackbot . Can't think of a way to avoid that off the top of my head though...

Axis-3D 1.4 is now complete with the addition of the Orbital Tech I've implemented as can be seen in my previous .gif image.
    Further progress is currently crippled due to a move I'm packing for, so don't expect too much until after July.

Axis-3D 1.5 marks the beginning of my rendering endeavours:

I have a few ideas for optimization (some of which are a bit slow) which will make the thermo operate much more flexibly. The option that's the most efficient, however, takes an actual second to load my blocks into the 3D renderer... so that bites.
    But the quest continues!

Future plans involve:
    • Map editing through the 3D renderer, for easy first-time editing instead of trial-and-error.
    • Player and object interaction with moving environments, like shifting platforms and the like.
    • Somehow replacing Sackbots as my render sources. Decoration spinners and bolts together only have 2-DoF... but maybe that can still work, since the camera itself also has only 2-DoF.

Current bugs/draw-backs:
    • Sackbots still remain a huge problem, both with their visibility, and their disappearing (along with their decorations) when off screen. Still hoping to replace them entirely.
    • Regardless of the camera angle I use, decoration clipping still occurs. This is an issue on LBP3's side, and cannot effectively be addressed by me... sad days.

That's it for now.
    Can't really make a video because I've already gutted the system in preparation for version 1.5. The .gif from my previous post is pretty much what 1.4 was all about anyway.
    I may make a little .gif showing the inner workings of 1.2, since it was the pure mathematical predecessor to 1.3, but I guess that'll depend on whether anyone wants me to post it (don't want to record something if there's no real need).
    Last edited by Bonnell7; 07-01-2017 at 08:52 PM.

3. Thanks!

Alright... looks like I won't be returning to this project since my PS4 is being... reclaimed... by my brother (he owns it).
    (I'm moving, he's staying, oh well)

I don't really have time to bundle Axis-3D up nice and tidy, nor make a proper in-game tutorial for it.
    I may be able to buy myself a new PS4 later down the road, but I don't want to wait that long to release Axis-3D.

My idea is that I give someone the engine so that they can release it with a proper tutorial, and make a game with it to show off it's uses (I'd prefer those releases be at the same time).
    I may be able to record a video demonstrating how to use it, but any further questions would need to be answered via text.

Unfortunately, there was still loads of tech I meant to implement, such as a logic-only layer detector.
    Frankly, I don't envy whoever wants to take-up this project, it still needs much improvement.

If no-one wants it in its current... pre-alpha state, I'll just release it as-is.

I'd recommend that if you want to work with the Axis-3D pre-alpha, you have a very firm grasp of LBP's logic system... analogue especially.
    This system is almost devoid of digital signals.
    The general math of the engine is pretty much taken care of, but further improvements could require more math.
    Therefore some knowledge involving Trig and maybe even Calc would be great.

Sorry guys.
    Last edited by Bonnell7; 07-16-2017 at 01:21 AM.

5. Thanks!

German Community Moderator CuriousSack's Avatar
    Level completed: 56%, Points required for next Level: 847
    Overall activity: 100.0%
    100 Experience Points 7 days registered 250 Experience Points 30 days registered 500 Experience Points
    PSN
    CuriousSack
    Blog Entries

Thats really bad news! I wish you luck for your new chapter of life!

Many greetings, Jürgen^^

7. Thanks!

As a kinda quick project with Axis-3D, I tested a Minecraft-style game (building something with an engine is the best way to test it).
    Since blocks are flat on their sides, I found I could use the original "Yellow-Head" costume to essentially remove all sackbots from sight (the costume's flush with the cubes side).

I quickly made the in-out object placement system:
    The Map-Maker doesn't take into account the layers you place your blocks into manually, you have to instead determine the layer-position for each object yourself, then input those positions as analogue values into each OTM (object tracking microchip) respectively.
    After hitting play, each object will jump to the layer-position you've set.
    In addition, each object is still dynamic... meaning they're still capable of detecting any changes in their layer-position after their jump to the layer-position you've set.

Anywho, in this Minecraft style game I half-built (built in a night, since I'm on a time crunch), I determined the exact layer distance between blocks seperated by any distance.
    Using this knowledge, I built a voxel map to play in.

Of course, Axis-3D was meant to do much more than voxel maps.
    Even in this current state, it's capable of fully dynamic environments, multi-player, and more.
    Which is kinda why I want someone to further its development for me.

Quick note:
    Don't use Photobucket for image hosting. The stingy site took down my .gifs because I need a premium account just to embed the images. Nickels and dimes... nickels and dimes.
    Last edited by Bonnell7; 07-17-2017 at 06:02 AM.

Sackperson Private koltonaugust's Avatar
    Level completed: 44%, Points required for next Level: 566
    Overall activity: 29.0%
    7 days registered 100 Experience Points 250 Experience Points 500 Experience Points 30 days registered
    PSN
    Koltonaugust
    Blog Entries

That's great news about the no longer visible sackbots! Too bad I don't think I have that costume on my ps4 (importing problems (though that one might have transferred)). I would love to volunteer for helping with this, but knowing my past, I wouldn't actually do much work on it :P. I do hope this continues though!

RIP Axis-3D. LBP3 corrupted it.
    Should've known better, really.

11. Thanks!

German Community Moderator CuriousSack's Avatar
    Level completed: 56%, Points required for next Level: 847
    Overall activity: 100.0%
    100 Experience Points 7 days registered 250 Experience Points 30 days registered 500 Experience Points
    PSN
    CuriousSack
    Blog Entries

There are so many friends who had to cancel their projects cause of errors in the game, thats a pity!

Level completed: 95%, Points required for next Level: 11
    Overall activity: 5.0%
    PSN
    Ninja20101

I love the power of LBP3 over LBP2, but god to Newton does it have lots of level errors. It's sad because all the level errors are not the players fault, rather the creators (Sumo).

40+ levels on the Moon...... Only 1 on Earth. Oops.

14. Thanks!

SAVE. YOUR. FILES. DAILY.

It's sad to see those problems in the community. Everytime you close LBP3 on PS4 you should copy the files to a usb device. It helps!

16. Thanks!

Well... I found Axis-3D 1.4. It was in a flash drive I forgot about lol.

It's not the most recent version, but it's a better starting point than what I had from just my profile backup alone.

In the stretch of time between then and my discovery, I've built some logic that can upend a lot of the physical systems currently in place for Axis-3D.
    Not only can I use my new Positionator for precise position mapping, but I can also potentially make a near-endless voxel map using my new Rollover Timer.
    It's like the Positionator, but it performs a rollover whenever it reaches 100% or -100%. So as long as I count the number of rollovers, the scale of any map skyrockets exponentially.

Both of those bits of logic can be found in my new giveaway.
    (Neither chips use actual timers. I found they were too limiting... so I researched how they worked, and remade them with zero-latency logic. Once I had access to the inner workings of a timer, I could manipulate it in ways I couldn't before. So these chips are now far superior to the regular timer. Minus the fact that mine take up a sliver more thermo.)

Now the progress of Axis-3D just depends on when I feel like it again.

Axis-3D 1.6 is now under development.
    It's being made entirely from scratch using 1.4 as a technical reference.
    Future and current goals:

1. 3rd-person and 1st-person cams:
      In my opinion, there's only one main distinction between these two camera types:
      In 1st-person, the camera and the character are dependent on each other. They both face the same direction at all times.
      In 3rd-person, the camera and the character are independent from each other. This means that you can rotate the camera around the character without the character turning with it.
    2. Adding another axis to the control space:
      This would add full movement through 3D space; dog fighting in spaceships, planes/jets, submarines, and more could be done.
    3. New positioning tech:
      I've found that using piston-reliant mechanisms to position points-of-interest in Axis-3D tax the system quite a lot.
      So I'm researching the pros and cons of mover-based positioning systems that utilize my Positionator chips.
      This could free-up enough system power to places 20+ points-of-interest at once.

That's all for now. I may make a video once it's up and running.

Sackperson Private koltonaugust's Avatar
    Level completed: 44%, Points required for next Level: 566
    Overall activity: 29.0%
    7 days registered 100 Experience Points 250 Experience Points 500 Experience Points 30 days registered
    PSN
    Koltonaugust
    Blog Entries

Yay! I'm so glad you managed to find a workable copy of this, and you are continuing! I can't wait to see where it goes!

Very cool news! I love your detailed posts about the project!

I haven't worked on Axis-3D as steadily recently.
    But what I have done was fully test a positional mover; my results are underwhelming.
    As with all movers, there is a delay between input and motion. A follower mover for instance (set to maximum speed), will always lag behind the object it's tracking.
    Anyway, I was able to make a microchip that compared its current coords. with target coords.; its output then influenced an advanced mover to close the gap between those coords.
    The process is mathematically sound... but the motion-lag with the advanced mover meant that quick, sharp changes in the target coordinates, wouldn't be reflected in the advanced movers actual motion.

This is disheartening considering the system-tax relief a microchip would've had compared to piston-based motion.
    Oh well... I've moved on.

I've also decided against adding an additional axis to the control space.
    While this may seem cool to a player, we've got to remember that I wish to publish Axis-3D as a creation tool for everyone.
    Every additional creation feature is something more someone would have to learn to use.

Also, on a personal note, I'm just currently trying to build a voxel game; such camera controls are unnecessary to me.

Right now, I'm at a standstill:
    You may remember the issue I had with rotating a decoration about a point other than the sackbot it's placed onto.
    As Axis-3D is meant to be a tool for others, I'm contemplating a way to make a Sackbot (and their decoration(s)) rotate about an imaginary point in an intuitive, and well... automatic way.
    My old solution still technically works, but it's hard for even me to configure correctly:
    The system has no way of knowing how big a decoration may be once placed.
    So as of now, you have to tell the microchip the distance between the Sackbots belly, and the center of the decoration itself.
    This is cumbersome if you plan on using a myriad of decorations with varying sizes and orientations.

I can't think of a good solution right now, and that feeling of... hopelessness has soured my thoughts regarding Axis-3D recently.
    Maybe I'll just have to get over it... I don't know.
    Lord knows I've already made plenty of compromises thus far for this project.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2