BG1, PRELOAD BG2, PRELOAD

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

My left ear isn't that good too. Though every time when you show the level in the hub I can hear the soundtrack of the level and the soundtrack of the hub. Maybe it's because I'm a headphones user, but yeah, I notice it, but it's not too annoying.

Huh, many cardboard levels are coming up, huh?

Level completed: 92%, Points required for next Level: 82
    Overall activity: 26.0%
    7 days registered 1000 Experience Points 500 Experience Points 250 Experience Points 100 Experience Points
    PSN
    waffle_king23

Does seem that we're in another Cardboard stretch, doesn't it? They seem to come and go. i don't think we have any coming up next (or next-next?) week...but it's all a little fuzzy right at the moment.

Ossu! Tuesday Takeaway time!

Construction at Needlepoint - bcandfina
    To be honest, i didn't go through this level this morning. Not risking a game crash (and the attendant possibility of profile corruption). This is a bit of a shame, because i really liked what i saw of the level. It's got a nice enough aesthetic, even though i wasn't thrilled with the teleportation aspect of it.

Frantic Fire Station! - Crystal_Craft_HD
    Meh...this one was basically meh. It's not bad, exactly, but it doesn't really do all that much, either. Figured out (accidentally) that you can get yourself killed with the Power-up, if you're standing too close to whatever you're shooting at. i completely forgot the camera shake halfway through the level when i did the outro, even though i called it out during the level recording itself.

The Gardens - kenbran
    i liked the visual presentation of this one, but it's pretty clear at this point that i'm a sucker for things that look like they're cobbled together and set in the real world, like a kid's play-set. Falls apart when you get to the gameplay, though. The elastic bridge bits were pretty wonky, particularly the one directly following the red slide. Don't know what was up with the race gate, but we've seen that one before (amusingly in Shake, Shake, Shake, which got picked up as a LotD recently). It's that angled bounce pad bit that really grinds the level to a halt. Maybe it's just me, but i could not get the right angle just to get past that without 15 or 16 deaths.

Cardboard World - Erick_The_Human
    Yeeeeaaah....this was, eh...what do you say about it? It's a level, maybe an early level. Certainly has a lot of those hallmarks. Big, floating platforms. Unconnected play elements. Play elements that are under-utilized, or unnecessary.

Bob's Anti-Gravity Castle 6 - the_pavs
    the_pavs actually got inn touch with me about this one, apparently there's a trick where you pull in the line as soon as you grapple something to get more momentum. This was apparently well-known at some point (and to be honest may well still be). i had no idea, and even after getting the head's up, wasn't really able to consistently pull it off, but at least the level feels well more fair this go about. They did put in an extra grappling hook, though i'm not sure why they put it up near the switch, as opposed to in front of the Checkpoint. They also put a hint up at the beginning of the level, which was a nice touch. i look forward to seeing what the_pavs comes out with next.

So, that's the that. Some good, some meh, and one weird question-mark disappointment. Hopefully there's something that caught your eye, and that you found fun. Thanks as always for all the support and feedback, and i hope you have a great day!

Behind the Curtains Stuffs
    Ahh...i don't even know where to start.
    i spent all Friday trying to record an outro to episode 014 that i actually liked. This should have been a sign that i really needed to be doing about anything else with my time at that moment. i finally got something that, if push comes to shove, i can use; but it feels more like the least bad, rather that best of the lot. On the positive side, the hub/intro for 015 is mostly done. We're half-way through the dialogue, at least. i did notice that sackbot movement has been way easier for me lately.
    It's normal, i know, for motivation to wax and wane. That being said, i've been feeling increasingly burnt-out and flaky recently. Not really about the series(es), this is more outside stuff bleeding in. Maybe my mind is grinding out the last of the Winter-hibernation feeling, since Spring is pretty clearly on the way here. Not that we ever really got a Winter, mind you. Maybe that's it, the constant feeling that things are almost-changing, but they never really do; so i fall into this increasingly stressful holding pattern. i don't know. Something, something, whatever.
    People we're chattering about Annihilation over on RPG.net, so i picked up The Southern Reach trilogy for my Kindle. i think it's the first completely new thing i've read in a long time (as opposed to new things from authors i already follow). Just finished reading it last night, and it was really good. House of Leaves meets The Colour Out of Space? The King in Yellow via True Detective? Backwoods Majestic-12? Something like that. i quite liked it, at least. It's weird and...intimate. Worth a look, yeah.

3. Thanks!

7 days registered 1000 Experience Points 500 Experience Points 250 Experience Points 100 Experience Points
    PSN
    waffle_king23

Ossu! It's Friday (already?!) so that means we're back again!

Episode 014 - Nematode

This week we're having a look at:

Hookshot Towers - RabidJellyfish
    ~Nature~ - dodaddo304
    Unnamed Level - ikamo79
    Sweet Skills - CH7MY
    The Lost Ruins - MrSackboy32

It's an...interesting mix of levels this time. There was only one i couldn't really get behind, which was what was giving me the stress when i was putting the outro together (there's also one where i completely screw up during the recording, but that one's all on me). Still i had a good time with them, and i hope you give them a try and have a good time with them as well. Thanks as always for all the support and feedback, and have a great day!

The hub for this week's level was such a pain in the rump. It is actually moving in the Intro section, and setting that up so that the characters and elements were moving with it was interesting to pull off (of course, i could have used any number of other, easier, methods to get the same effect, but lets not talk about that, yes?).
    Stayed up maybe later than i ought to have last night, but i got episode 015 wrapped and completely in the bag (PiPs and all), so my slate is completely clear. It did mean, also, that i didn't get a LBsP out, but hopefully not having PiPs and the like hanging over my head on a Thursday, will make that a bit easier in the future. Also, i'll have the apartment to myself this evening, so i may be able to get one out tonight.
    It's weird to read (or see, or play) something that has some element that you've come up with yourself. Parallel evolution at work, i suppose, but it's a bit disconcerting.
    i'm kind of, slowly, getting out of last week's funk, which is really nice. i think the cherry blossoms will be blooming the end of next week or so...which coincides nicely with payday, so that's cool.

5. Thanks!

German Community Moderator CuriousSack's Avatar
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 29.0%
    100 Experience Points 7 days registered 250 Experience Points 30 days registered 500 Experience Points
    PSN
    CuriousSack
    Blog Entries

Hahaha, thanks again!

I always wanted to ask you how you choose the names of your episodes? Nematode! Hahaha, I never would have come to such a name!

Have a fine weekend and many greetings, Jürgen^^

7. Thanks!

PSN
    waffle_king23

Danke Jurgen! i don't know where the titles come from, but i needed an "N," so...Nematode.

So...is it Tuesday Takeaway time? i think it may be.

Hookshot Towers - RabidJellyfish
    i got fairly solid with the movement in this level this go around. Still not good enough to top the scoreboard, but i did end up getting a touch over 8,000pts with just one death. It can be fairly tricky to figure how far the hookshot will fire, so that's an issue; but that's something you can spend a bit of time before the race to figure out. Actually that's a nice point i'd like to point out. Not dumping the player directly in the race, but giving them a bit of space before-hand to work out the mechanics of the level. That was nice.

~Nature~ - dodaddo304
    There's not really much to say about this one. To be honest, you could probably play the level front-to-back before i could finish writing out the review for it. It's cute, has a nice enough look, and there's just a soupcon of gameplay in there to keep it from being a gallery level. It's not not worth a play, and i think if you're feeling wound up by some real frustrating levels it might be a nice antidote.

Unnamed Level - ikamo79
    My hand still hurts, and makes typing a little rough. Really, semi-auto fire would have been so appreciated, either that or making the enemies slightly less beefy.

Sweet Skills - CH7MY
    Yeaaah...this was the one that was making my outro so difficult to record. To be honest i was pretty salty with this level, and it was hard to tell how much of that was bleeding into my take on the level. i think it's the loss of progress that really ramps up the frustration in this one. Having a fairly long segment, with multiple points of failure in it...i don't know, it is marketed as HARD, CH7MY's up-front about that; but i think even really solid platform players are going to find the juice not worth the squeeze. None of this is helped by the fact that the level is just kind of ugly in presentation. The music was good, at least.

The Lost Ruins - MrSackbow32
    We've done a fair number of ruins/temples levels over the course of the series; like the cardboard ones, they seem to come and go in waves. This is one of the nicer ones i've gone through, i think. The presentation is solid on, it's just long enough to feel weighty, without wearing out its welcome, and just difficult enough to be a challenge if you're not paying attention. i can see the pace being a little slow for folks, seeing as how the obstacles are very deliberately timed; but aside from that, and the rather uninspired musical choice. there's really not much to complain about with this one.

So...yeah, not a bad set of levels this go about. Hopefully there was something in there that clicked with you. Thanks, as always, for the support, and i hope you have a great day!

In My Dream's got picked up for LotD today, and that was nice (especially since, for once, it was after i had a feature on it). It really is a fun little level, and i hope rud-54 keeps creating, and gets the love they deserve. Oddly, there was another Dream-esque level that got picked yesterday...Dreamscape, or something like that. We looked at it way back in...hold on, i've got my notes right here. Here it is, Dreamscape by Madstones97. We looked at it back in Season One Episode 008. Geeze, that's well in the back and back, isn't it? Anyway, i was a little "huh?" about that one. i don't remember it being particularly stand out in any way. It was just one of those levels that was kind of there. In fact, the only thing i remember strongly about it was that the environment was pretty blah. i wonder why it got the nod (and why now, since it was published two years ago). Maybe StevenI mis-clicked?
    Level recordings and most of the hub set-up for episode 016 are done, which is always nice. We saw a bit of the cutting room floor in the last LBsP. i generally avoid doing that; i figure, if i've picked a couple of not great levels for the set-list, then i'm just stuck with them. i never really wanted to make a "curated" show, because, well, if you're doing that, why not just cut the "first impressions" aspect of it and make a "best of the week" -type show. That being said, i figured folks might not want another "watch waffleking23 die a million times and make no progress" level so soon after Sweet Skills.
    i've been spending my "saved" production time on Tearaway and Splatoon2 recently. Well, i'll play Splatoon2 just about any time i've got a decent wi-fi connection (and even when not, as i'm wrapping up the hero-level weapon unlocks at the moment). They've got some DLC coming up this summer that looks nice.
    Tearaway, though...it'd been languishing half-finished on my shelf for...for a long time now really. So, something pushed me to wrap it up finally. i suppose it's not saying much to say it's a great game. MM nailed the visual presentation and charm, and i really enjoyed interacting with the character, my environment, and i guess myself. That being said, i think story-wise, they went to the "oh, here's the ending, no, wait, there's still more story to tell"-well a few times too often. If you're going to build to a climax, commit to it, because otherwise, i just feel a little drained by the actual end. Though maybe that's just me.

9. Thanks!

PSN
    waffle_king23

Tick tock, tick tock. It's R15F o'Clock!

Episode 015 - Ossify

science city - kcon1111
    Sackbox in the cardboard - Shaka_Warriah
    THE SHIPYARD - PS-DB
    Escape from abandond mine - KukalkaPolska44
    Return to DaVinci's Hideout - firedragon5633

It's an interesting mix this go about, and nothing that really burnt my toast, which is always kind of nice. Sackbox in the Cardboard picked up a lot of heat after we did the recording, but there's not too much to be done for that. Hopefully you'll find something that strikes your fancy and you can have a good time playing. As always, thanks for all the support, and have a great day!

i finally got to see Black Panther yesterday (though, to be slightly fair, it did only come out here two weeks ago). Once again, Marvel's managed their neat trick of taking a character i could give less than two figs about, and making them compelling; and wrapping said character in a rocking story. Writing that i was thinking of Ant Man and Guardians of the Galaxy, but thinking a little more on it, aside from Spiderman, there isn't a single major MCU character that i cared at all about when i was reading comics on the regular. And yet i've enjoyed just about every movie that i've seen so far. ****, Marvel, how'd you work that one?
    Episode 016 is finished but for the PiPs, and i'm going to be working on wrapping those as soon as i get this post done. It was one of those rare soap bubble episodes where everything came together light and easy and without a bit of stress. That's...pretty unusual, truth be told. Not that putting together the episodes is some interminable slog, but usually at least one thing goes sideways.

11. Thanks!

PSN
    waffle_king23

Ohayo de gozaru! Tuesday Takeaway desuuuu!

science city - kcon1111
    i think the visual presentation is what really brought this one up for me. The gameplay is solid enough, barring the occasional layer issue; it doesn't do anything radically different with the boost boots, but it gets the job done. The thing with the spotlights is an issue, and that one bit we see in the video can be really difficult to figure out where you need to be going. That's one reason why i don't use narrow beam spotlights in my hubs anymore. At the end of the day, though, i just really dug the frenetic-ness of the animated colour bits we see throughout.

Sackbox in the cardboard - Shaka_Warriah
    This one is just straight up solid. The environment's great, and i love all the little interactions going on. Managed to pick up all the secrets this go about, and that was pretty cool. It's kind of surprising how much got packed in considering how little lag/load we ran into, though i suppose that's an effect of limited number of materials on hand. i also appreciated the little bits of animation they applied to the sackthing, that's not something we see come up all that often. i do wish they'd make the glue hazard bit a touch more clear, though. You can't really see what zones are safe, and you just have to kind of trust the level to land you where you need to be.

THE SHIPYARD - ps-db
    i think i mentioned this in the episode, but THE SHIPYARD really ended up growing on me the more times i went through it, at least in the visual aspect. The gameplay still feels a little slight, though the sackthing section is pretty close to to a solid length. The inside of the wrecked ship is cool, and the underwater bit can actually be a touch tricky. The Oddsock section, though, could definitely stand to be beefed up just a tad.

Escape from abandond mine - KukalkaPolska44
    Not really all too much to say about this one that i didn't say in the episode. The environment is pretty journeyman, but it does a decently good job hitting the right notes to give you a sense of place. i don't really get what the point of having the boost boots and the floaty fluid together, seeing as they're really just serving the same purpose. Though, in most cases, i don't really see the point of floaty fluid at all.

Return to DaVinci's Hideout - firedragon5633
    i could probably used up the entire outro nitpicking this level, there are just so many little things that could be polished or changed to make for a better experience. i don't think it would have much purpose, though; as i don't think that was necessarily the point of making the level. One of the reviews for the level mentioned that it was made (as a team effort) in about 3-5hours, and i imagine the fun of team creation was what they were shooting for, and that's cool. Still...i kind of wish they hadn't used triggered tags for their creator credits, they just look kind of tacky (and this is coming from someone who uses them every week for the show).

So...that's the that. Really, nothing here i would tell folks to not play, and a couple i would actively encourage y'all to look at. Glad you're finding these episodes fun. Thanks as always for the support and feedback, and have a great day!

Behind the Curtain Stuffs
    Woke up at 4.30a. Went to bed at 12.30a. This is kind of suck, but at least it gave me time to get the takeaway done.
    So...work...a day's schedule is 8 40minute 4person classes anyone can reserve a seat in. Or a student can use 3tickets and get a one-on-one lesson. When i'm at my home school, those group classes will pretty reliably fill with a mix of students, and i'll have a handful of one-on-one lessons to balance it out. Part of the takeaway here is, i generally won't see the same student more than 2twice in a given day, and 3times in a given week is a rare max. That's at my home school, which has a pretty large population of students, and is in the middle of an office/commercial area. Since January, i've spent Sunday and Monday working at two...not so busy schools. Empty lessons are common, as are group lessons with only one student in them (which is an issue itself, because we get a per lesson bonus based on how full the lesson is. It's small, but it adds up at the end of the month). What i'm getting at is...i taught the same student, often by himself, eight. freaking. times in the last two days. Five times in one day. i....don't have a lot of patience for extended contact with people who are not my wife, to be honest. i'm just not that social. By the end of last night's shift, my blood pressure was kind of through the roof.
    About the show, i got levels recorded for episode 017 yesterday. i had a low-/mid-level migraine going on at the time, though; so i'm kind of dreading actually watching the recorded footage. i have almost no memory of doing it is all. i'm hoping that it's good enough to keep, because i'd be pretty salty if i had to scrap a full set-list because my brainmeats were too out of whack.

13. Thanks!

PSN
    waffle_king23

Yaargg! Back again for another Roughly 15 Minutes!

Episode 016 - Pugnacious

Oak Grove 2 - evik123
    Retro-O-Rama - Fr-silver-Fr
    Future Heaven Cloud - ScooterMix
    Dark Temple - RicKYyeA
    ~Trippy Dreams~ - genie400

It's a fun set of levels, and i hope you find something that tickles your fancy in there. Retro-O-Rama and Dark Temple both picked up a bunch of heat after recording, so it was nice to be able to get to them before (though i do, selfishly, wish the heat had come after the episode went up). Thanks as always for all the support and feedback, glad you're enjoying this, and i hope you have a great day!

i hate the LBP text-censor, even if i understand why it's necessary. Still, malumphage is a cool word that i wanted in the episode, but nope, no dice there.
    i think this week's episode may be my favourite i've done in a while. i mean, i can't think of an episode i've walked away from disappointed with, but everything just kind of clicked with this one. The set list was really fun, putting things together was nice and smooth. It was really fun to have Frank and Mei back, it's been too long. Though Honoka and Manny have grown on me more than i expected, i'm going to have to think about how to juggle my secondary characters once we wrap up this little Jupiter storyline. Also, the hub really is just a modified version of the Monster Island one from last year (we hung a lampshade on that last week, i think), so it was a lot easier than my usual alternate hubs...though i kind of wish i'd made it one layer deeper, or at least had thought to extend it before recording last week's episode. Can't do it now, 'cause that'd make for a continuity error.
    Anyway, what i'm getting at is, life loves useless contrast, and no good fortune goes unpaid. Episode 017 has been straight up pulling teeth. Le sigh.
    This is still pretty early on, but it's never too early to get advice and thoughts. So, for the mid-season special episode, i was kind of thinking about doing a live stream? Maybe for about an hour? It'd only be worthwhile if folks would be able to join in, though, so is there a day and/or hour that's good for you? i've never done any streaming, so i'm going to have to look into exactly how it works from the PS4, but i've got two and a half months to figure it out.

15. Thanks!

PSN
    waffle_king23

Woop woop, Tuesday Takeaway yo.

Oak Grove 2 - evik123
    Walked away from this one feeling a little less of it than when i'd done the plays for recording. i still don't think it's a bad level, but i can't say it's really got a lot of reason to replay, and there's not a lot to it that leaves an impression on you. It's kind of representative of the vast mass of levels that are competent, but not particularly great.

Retro-O-Rama - Fr-silver-Fr
    Hadn't realized it when i was doing the show, but apparently this one's Fr-silver-Fr's first platformer, which makes it even more impressive. Managing to hit all the right notes as far as gameplay and pace, while being able to give it the right level of quirky charm is not an easy row to hoe. There are still, probably, a few more bounce pads than really necessary, but that's hardly the worst sin in level design.

Future Heaven Cloud - Scootermix
    Eh...i didn't push through to the scoreboard this time around. Kept on getting hung up on hidden hazards, and that was really killing my enjoyment and motivation. Don't know why some creators insist on doing that, i guess it's over-familiarity with their own level's layout. i'd rather not think it's because they're jerks. So i'm not going to. Think they're jerks, that is. Ran into some new issues where i was jumping into the wrong layer, and then locked out of where i needed to be to progress, so there's that too. Really, the level could use a fair amount of polish.

Dark Temple - RicKYyeA
    This is is still so good. i think it might be my favourite of the jungle temple-archetype levels i've played yet. Not too much to add, really. Oh, it was cool that RicKYeA didn't lean on that one song we always hear in these levels. i think they may use it for one sequence, but there's a mix of appropriate music throughout.

Trippy Dreams - genie400
    This one's another little bit meh level. They use the dreams conceit to throw together a bunch of random materials/elements into the environment and...like i said in the level, that's never been how i dream. Maybe it is for other folks, i don't know. If you swapped out everything for cardboard, and just went on gameplay alone, there really wouldn't be any hook here at all. That's fine, i suppose; but the environment just isn't compelling enough to support the level on its own. Still, like Oak Grove 2, it's not a bad level; and i don't regret playing it.

So that's the that this go around. Hope you gave a few of these a try and found something you liked. Thanks as always for the support, and have a great day!

So, yesterday someone left a bunch of comments on my profile that were just "AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA" except much longer. i didn't recognize the creator name off hand, so i went over to their profile. Found i had commented there back in the beginning of February, and i could not remember the context at all, or the comment, since they'd erased it. i thought, "mate, why'd you want to go and do that? Now i've got no idea what's going on here." i know i'm not in the habit of leaving rude or high snark comments on people, though i suppose it can depend on the reading, since they can't know my intent. Then i went back to my profile and deleted their comments (except for one that was "idk"), because 5 blocks of "AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA" are just plain ugly. Does that make me a hypocrite?
    Got episode 017 wrapped on Saturday, which is good. My niece and nephew were over, so i walked neph through the PiP process, which he was only mildly interested in, because he's getting into that "too-cool-for-school" age. Also, there was a Splatfest going on, so there was no tearing him away from that.
    Haven't had the chance to do an LBsP in a bit, which kind of sucks. It seems i'm busy with enough little, time-consuming things that i can't bundle up a block of 3hours to just put one together. Also sleep patterns are jank-city still. i worked yawning into the Intro of 017, because i literally could not stop. Like, it was supposed to be just one, and i was worried it'd sound fakey. But after tossing a bunch of takes for yawns in the wrong places, i figured, "The hell with it, just own it and move on." At least that wasn't an issue with the actual level recordings, but they'd been done about four days previous.

17. Thanks!

PSN
    waffle_king23

Good Morning, all! We're back again for another round!

Episode S2-017 - Quill

This week we're taking a look at:

Blueprints. - LiGeT_Epic123
    Blue Metal - thefire1023
    Dream World - kyzatom
    Ship of the Gods - theelliyworkshop
    >>Cosmoland.<< - Alos94

It's a pretty nice set of levels here, no real clunkers in the set. Hopefully there'll be at least one that you'll have a fun time playing. Thanks as always for all the support, and i hope you have a great day!

i think the real reason most "[earth monster]...IN SPACE!" movies are terrible is because they're later installments in faltering series that generally weren't all that great to begin with (i mean, i love Hellraiser, and Hellraiser 2 deserves more love than it generally gets; but we can all agree 3 was hot garbage). You could, i think, make the argument though, that most of the lead monsters are defined by their explicit interest in the main characters. Which is a stark contrast to the vast indifference of space, making them come off as rather small change in the scheme of things.

Trying to get a production schedule where i don't have to spend my entire Thursday in the house; which isn't a bad thing when the weather's crap, but is fairly disappointing now that the weather's getting nice. Haven't gotten all the kinks worked out yet. i did spend a few hours in the park having a mini-cherry blossom viewing (they are seriously nice looking this year). i did, however, not completely finish Episode 018. Too much of the week previous spent getting little things done, so i had to do all the intro set up and recording yesterday. Eh, we're getting there.

On that subject, we'll be wrapping up the Jupiter storyline next week, which is nice. It's been fun, but i think i'm ready to get back to the main hub (i don't know why i decided to make the Io hub as dark as i did). Also, if you haven't read Kill Six Billion Demons yet, you really should. i mean, because it is honestly great; but also because next week's intro will make slightly more sense that way.

Spring is here. It'll be here for roughly a week, and then it'll be summer, which is fine by me.

19. Thanks!

PSN
    waffle_king23

Ossu! Tuesday (but no, really, actually Wednesday) Takeaway time!

Blueprints. - LiGeT_epic123
    i found the layer issues to be even more grating this time about; i just could not keep any kind of momentum going. The level itself has some neat ideas, and i really enjoyed the visual design. Still, getting thrown out of level by funky layer launchers was...not so fun.

Blue Metal - thefire1023
    Yeah, this one was still pretty cool a third time around. On the other hand, i did find two or three more spots where you could get yourself tossed out of level, so that's not so good. i somehow managed to miss the quest again this time. It's like i skip a new secret bubble everytime i play.

Dream World - kyzatom
    Yeah, this one's really really short, but i still had a great time with it. It caught that LBP1 feel really well, and i appreciate that. It's got way too many different materials than it needs, but that's fine enough. i just noticed this time around that there were some bonus score bubbles in there, so that was cool.

Ship of the Gods - theelliyworkshop
    i still have no idea how to pronounce this creator's name; that comes up every now and then, and i always feel bad 'cause i prolly mangle the heck out of them when i do my recordings. The mechanical elements here are so well put together, you don't really notice how much of the level is horizontal running. It reminded me of that Water Works level by JazzyLouis that we looked at way back when, but this one was a bit less of a slog to get through. Still, i wish i knew what was going on with that yellow Vellociraptor.

>>Cosmoland<<>>The Chaotic Adventure<< - alos94
    This one grew on me a bit from when i played last week, but the basic positives and complaints remain. Thinking about it now, it's a bit of a surprise how much alos94 got in here. Maybe this is one of those rare successful dThermo levels. i liked the hand-made music, too. Those score bubbles, though...that little *pin* noise they make when you pop them was getting right on my last nerve.

So, that's the that. Not all that much changed from when we put the video together. Hopefully there's something you found to have fun with. Thanks for all the support, and have a great day!

i have no idea what happened here. Woke up super-early yesterday, i knew it was Tuesday, and...i just completely forgot to do the Takeaway. i got a bunch of other stuff done, so that was fine, but it wasn't until about 9o'clock last night. So...apparently i've gone and lost brainbits or something.

Levels for episode 019 are recorded, and the hub is mostly ready for the intro; just have to put in some animations and get the cameras set and we'll be good to go. i should be able to have that part of the recording wrapped before work, and if things go really smoothly (read here: not at all likely, but still), we might be able to get PiP recordings and the outro done too. At the very least, we're on track to have things in the can tomorrow.

The cherry blossoms are almost all off the trees by now, but there's one tree right across from our apartment that's still got a bunch on it. It's a nice thing to have greet you for your morning smoke and coffee.

21. Thanks!

Level completed: 39%, Points required for next Level: 671
    Overall activity: 99.7%
    7 days registered 100 Experience Points 250 Experience Points 30 days registered 500 Experience Points
    PSN
    mdkd99
    Blog Entries

Great reviews, I am already looking forward to the next episode.

23. Thanks!

PSN
    waffle_king23

Good morning, all! Back again for another shot!

Episode 018 - Regicide

Dentburg Castle - wafflebert
    Rural Racer - Yell0wDrag0n749
    Sticker World - rexinator5
    The Ruins of Earth - ImDaH4tman
    Dracula's Castle - Charlie7101991

We've got a nice mix of levels this go about; no regrets, and a couple of pretty fun ones. Hopefully one of them will catch your eye. Thanks as always for the support, and have a great day!

i've had the intro for this week's episode in mind since about the beginning of the season; if not exactly how it worked out, then at least the general shape of it. Was nice to finally get it into the show. Every now and then i'll get a scene or a gag that floats up in the back of my brainmeats that takes a good long while to actually use.

We actually got episode 019 finished up and posted yesterday, that's a little bit of a shock (especially because i spent all Wednesday morning doing Isaac videos, instead of working on R15F). It did help that there were fairly clear and well-blocked points for PiPs. This, as always, was completely unintentional; just kind of worked out that way. Every now and then, briefly, i kick around the idea of doing scripted outros. Then i think about the number of times i'll forget simple points i want to talk about, let alone trying to remember a 12-13minute block of language, and i figure i'll just stick with the off-the-cuff i've got going now.

For some reason, i got it in my mind to use my old LBP2 level for next week's title card. i guess i wanted to use something hanami-y, and i didn't really want to spend a bunch of time putting together something completely new. After an hour or so of bouncing back and forth with the US-store sub-account, trying to pick up whatever DLC i needed (also having to jump into the level on my main account, just to get a list-up of DLC used, since the "find DLC used" button was only showing me the stuff i already owned) i finally got a chance to play around with it. The logic i used in it (particularly the 20second intro) is basically a huge, kludgy mess, but you can see the seeds of what i use in R15F now, so that was kind of neat to see. i remember how long it took me to get working when i made it, i could probably put together the same scene in about 20 minutes now.

As a side-effect of being on the US-side PSstore, i ended up picking up the Afterbirth+ DLC for Isaac. i'd ended up holding off on it for some reason i can't remember at the moment...i think it took a pretty long while to come out on the PS4, and i'd only already got it on two systems...well, i guess it's three systems now (at some point i'd put a bunch of money in the wallet for the sub-account yonks back and promptly forgotten). Was nice to clear out one of the more difficult unlocks on my first try, especially since that one's been giving me a ton of trouble on the Switch. i...will play other games again...eventually...someday.

25. Thanks!

7 days registered 100 Experience Points 250 Experience Points 30 days registered 500 Experience Points
    PSN
    mdkd99
    Blog Entries

Thanks for sharing, I enjoyed the episode!

PSN
    waffle_king23

What fresh hell is this? A Tuesday Takeaway on a Tuesday?!

Dentburg Castle - wafflebert
    Once you strip off the bells and whistles of the visual design, there's not really a lot of meat on the bones of this one. Still and all it was fun enough to revisit. i found myself a little more annoyed by that one checkpoint this go about, and for some reason the swing with the bounce pad got hung up on the bottom of the flaming pillar for a bit, but really, those are minor quibbles. i did figure out what was going on with that box at the end. There's actually a wall blocking that exit that the block in the box raises. Because of the camera angle, and how quickly i grabbed on to that block, i hadn't noticed the wall at all.

Rural Racer - Yell0wDrag0n749
    Hope y'all jumped on this one when you had the chance, because it's no longer up now. i really wish folks wouldn't do that, but, on the other hand i can see if you need to free up space on your Earth, and you're not particularly pleased with the level. Or even if you're just not particularly pleased with the level. i guess it just gets my goat, is all.

Sticker World - rexinator5
    i just like these kinds of levels, as far as visual presentation; this one does a better job in some ways than most, as the stickers aren't completely random, and there's some nice composite work and placement. On the other hand, there's a lot of invisible material blocking things off, and that started to get on my nerves a bit this go around. There's got to be a better way to keep players out of areas you don't want them. The cameras are kind of wonky as well, but that stood out on the episode, so nothing new there.

The Ruins of Earth - imdah4tman
    Really liked this one, and while it was my number two in the episode, i think it's my number one now. i think it's because of it being a level in the vein of something we'd see in story mode. That is to say, it's nice and beefy, without being overlong; and it feels like you're kept active throughout. i think we run into a lot of levels that are, while good, a little light on the game side of things, like we see with Dentburg Castle up top. The bounce pads are still a bit of an issue, though; don't know what it is about bounce pads that makes them so touchy, but it does seem to show up every so often, doesn't it.

Dracula's Castle - Charlie07101991
    For something as blocky and kludgy as this one is, i really kind of like it. i found a couple of new secrets this go about, and that was neat. The option as far as how to end the level was cool too. That's something i wish i would run into more often. The boss fight, though is still...i really don't know what's going on with that. Drac just sits there doing nothing. Could have at least had him moving back and forth, maybe firing a couple of shots at you every now and then?

So, that's the that. Would've been nice if Rural Racer had stayed up, but otherwise a good set of levels all around. Hope you found something in there you had a good time with, yeah? Thanks, all of you, for the support and the feed back, and i hope you have a great day!

Hey! Still really busy!

PSN
    waffle_king23

Ossu! Coming back at you for another shot!

Episode 020 - Silkworm

This time around we're having a look at:

Block world - GlitchMaster7
    The wooden place of creativity - trickyomicky
    Tena Sedre's City - AyrtonJensen1
    Simple Cardboard Platformer - FRIZZY233
    strange temple V2 - popntwinbee

It's a pretty fun set of levels, and again, nothing i regretted giving time to. Unfortunately, trickyomicky seems to have pulled their level down, so that's kind of odd, but the others are definitely worth a play or two. Thanks for all the support folks, and, as always, have a great day!

Yesterday was a bit of a dead day; just in a bad mood so i spent all day walking. Also sat down to watch Dave Made a Maze. So, not exactly a constructive use of my day off, but at least it was enjoyable.

Tried to wake up this morning to watch lsrs's live stream, which for me starts at 2.30am. Well, there was also the option of staying awake until then, but i didn't think that was entirely likely. So, went to bed early, set the alarm for 1am, so's i'd have time to make some coffee and get my brain functional. Aaaand...of course i slept through it. Well played body, well played. [edit to add]The stream got cancelled due to sickness, it seems, so that worked out kind of OK? i guess?[/eta]

Have the house to m'self for the next couple of days, so aside from work, i should have more than enough time to get myself back on production schedule for episode 020. A couple of decisions i have to make for it anyway, there's one level i'm a little iffy on including.

29. Thanks!

PSN
    mdkd99
    Blog Entries

I watched the episode. great work, mate!

PSN
    waffle_king23

Ossu! Tuesday Takeaway is coming back around again!

Block World - G1tchmas1er7
    Questions of authorship aside, this was a nice little level. Paczek321 mentioned the assets were from one of Danx87's levels, and i thought about that; in the interest of not being overly negative, i'd like to think they followed Danx's tutorial on deco-animations and built the level from that inspiration (i've mentioned before i prefer CompherMC's tutorials, but you can't fault Danx's for not being easy to follow). Still, it could be straight theft, and that would make sad waffleking23 sad. Anyway, the level's short and sweet, and the only quibble i have is that it can be a little tough to judge safe landing points when dealing with the "bounce pads." That and there's no real indication where checkpoints are.

The Wooden Place of Creativity - trickyomicky
    This one's still down, which is a shame, because as kludgy as it was, i kind of liked it. Actually, there's nothing like a storage level on tricky's moon anymore. If i didn't have actual video footage, i'd start to doubt i'd actually ever played it. On the one hand, it's a bit of a shame to present something y'all can't actually play; on the other, it's kind of neat to lock it down in some form as "this was a thing that actually was," kind of like a historical record. Still, in the end, i do wish people would leave their levels up (this being said by someone who's taken down levels from their Earth as well...i do regret it, though).

Tena Sedre's City - AyrtonJensen1
    Not really a lot more to say about this one that we didn't say in the video. i liked the music well enough, it's got a nice pace to it. It's not really chiptune-style, that was just the first term to leap to mind when i was doing the outro. It does sound like something from NES or SNES era game, though. The race in the second half was just as dull the second time around as the first.

Simple Cardboard Platformer - FRIZZY233
    Meh...meh! i mean, at least it is a level, but it isn't even near the top ten of cardboard heavy levels we've looked at on the show. Again, there really isn't too much to say about this one that we didn't cover in the episode. i will point out that bragging about the level's shortness at the end was a bit grating to me, though; it's like "Aren't i clever? Har har."

strange temple v2 - popntwinbee
    Didn't actually play all the way through this one this time, just not enough time this morning. i wouldn't say it's overlong, but the limited material palette really allows for a big, chunky level, and popntwinbee runs with that. i liked the implementation of the secrets, though i'm still not sure why they didn't show up as found at the end when we played for the video. i think this one is a really nice example of LBP1 community level design (as opposed to LBP1 story mode level design, which i will maintain was often pants). Someone in the level reviews mentioned a different music track would have been better, but i don't know; i thought it worked out well enough.

So, that's the that. For the most part, the levels were decent enough to play, and there wasn't anything aggressively bad. On the other hand, playing through today, there really wasn't anything that knocked my socks off, either. i guess it's just a solid set of middle of the road community levels, which isn't necessarily a bad thing, mind you. Hope you found something here that worked for you. Thanks as always for the support, and i hope you have a great day!

Got episode 020 wrapped but for the PiPs; should've had those done on Friday, but i lost 3epsiodes of Isaac to a mic screw-up (there was this horrible static going overtop the lot of them), so i had a bit of scramble going on there. i did, at least, get the levels for episode 021 recorded yesterday, so we're not entirely off-schedule.

For some reason, i had no idea Atomic Robo existed as a web-comic; my brain had always insisted it was a dead-tree format thing only. So...i'm reading that now, and it's pretty good.

32. Thanks!

PSN
    waffle_king23

Guten Morgen! Here we are, back again to do that thing that we do!

Episode 020 - Temerity

This week we're puttin' our peepers on:

Toy Towers - kLuMB-Z
    "Temple of Mr. Mad Elephant - Samait_
    The wedding's underground - SweManTwizt
    Swingin' Treetops - Chunky104
    Red Woods - Bug_Boys_2

Pretty solid set of levels this go about, hopefully something in there you'll have a good time with. As always, thanks for all the support, and i hope you're having a great day!

Just the usual two steps forward one step back type of thing, i guess. Working on episode 021, and that should be done without too much difficulty today.

Still kicking around this livestream thing for 026+, i guess we could do it late on a Wednesday night (on my end). Late Thursday would put mine up against lsrs, which i'd rather not do (and which i missed again this morning, but then, they had a bad throat again and cancelled, so that's ok). The thinking is doing the recording sometime between May 25th and May 30th which means my window for taking a day off work (if necessary) is getting smaller. If any of you folks have a day or time to suggest, let me know today or tomorrow-ish? i really appreciate it.

Finished reading the Atomic Robo series, or at least what they had up on the website. It's really good, so we repeat our recommendation from the other day.

A few weeks ago i noticed that the majority of music i own is hard, crunchy, or dark. i've got very little bouncy, chipper music. So i picked up the Splatoon2 soundtrack. i swear it's basically pure sugar for the ears. i like it well enough though, not something i need to listen to all the time, but nice to have it there when needed.

34. Thanks!

German Community Moderator CuriousSack's Avatar
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 29.0%
    100 Experience Points 7 days registered 250 Experience Points 30 days registered 500 Experience Points
    PSN
    CuriousSack
    Blog Entries

I'm sure that there will be something in there, which I will enjoy! Thank you so much and have a fine weekend, many greetings, Jürgen^^

36. Thanks!

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast