BG1, PRELOAD BG2, PRELOAD

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6

Ossu! Double Tuesday Takeaway today!

Caribbean Capers - Emporuto
    It's funny, but even the creator recognizes the raft is too slow and awkward, and regrets leaving it as is. It is, that's true, but it fits in with the level, and makes diegetic sense, so there's a darned-if-you-do-darned-if-you-don't thing going on here. Like i said in the episode, i loved the visual presentation and level design of the islands. They really hit a bit of a nostalgic sweet spot for me, so i'm glad i played the level, but, truth in advertising, i didn't play the full level this morning. Neither the time, nor the patience for it.

Just Oiled! - syskntt
    i love the heavy visual design of the level here. There's lots of movement going on in the background of the level, and when you trigger things with the oil gun. The power-up itself is mostly well-utilized throughout the level, though it is a little limited in its application. Really, there's not much to complain about with this one. Definitely give it a look.

Don't Let Them In - katoregama
    i really wish i had the free time to really indulge with levels like this one. It takes its sweet time letting the story unfold, and gradually building out what you can do and how you interact with the level. It does have its negative points, though. Mainly the lack of checkpoints. i understand not making the level an infinite life one, that would drain a fair amount of the tension out of it. On the other hand, considering the time investment here, i can see players noping right out of taking the second chance at the level if they screw up. Maybe if they'd implemented a save/memorizer function, so progress wasn't lost? i'm really not sure how that would work.

Mega Walrus TSL - Carrot Cake Desert - VoyakiloidMai
    i really should play this series through from the start, so i know what was going on, i suppose. i appreciate all the effort it must have taken to get all the characters and their abilities working, though it didn't seem that all of them were all that necessary, to be honest. There's not a lot of direction in the level though, so it's easy to get to areas where you throw a lot of lives away, only to find that there's no real need for whatever reward you find (usually a secret golden nugget). Also, the attack range on that worm we showed in the PiP? That was straight bs.

Taku Taku Island - Lujuster
    This one got screwed a little, being together with four quite impressive levels that were really pushing what they could do, so it comes off looking a little lackluster. i mean, yeah, it is a little lackluster, being just a simple little platformer, like any number of others we've run into throughout the series. On the other hand, it has the benefit of being short enough to actually complete, which, in this set, was very much appreciated.

China temple plateplam - imamannn
    You can see first time level creating written all over this one. It's fun enough for what it is, but you've got the bad cameras and overuse of collected objects that are the hallmarks we've all come to know and love. Still, it manages to be mostly functional, and only has a couple of drop out of level areas. i'll be interested in seeing how imamannn grows as a creator in the future.

The Grate Twosday Escape - shearenvy
    No, just...just no.

Block by Block - niall-mag
    i liked this one the third time through about as much as i did the first two times. Which is to say, quite a lot, really. i liked how each block had an isolated gameplay element, and generally really pushed that. It does mean that there's not a lot of consistency to the difficulty level, though. There is a lot of challenge, enough so that i didn't manage completing it again. Well, some day, maybe.

Creepy-Crawly Crypts - jatoquin2
    jatoquin2 fixed the broken checkpoint! Huzzah! i don't know that that was because i pointed it out, i'm pretty sure it had come up in the level reviews previously. Still, it's nice to see problems actually get fixed for once in levels. This level is one of my favourites, i just love the little skull buddies, and the general presentation of things throughout. The difficulty and gameplay reminded me pretty strongly of early story mode levels from LBP1, and i'd like (but don't expect) to see that expanded on; more levels in the same theme but with growing difficulty each level would be pretty keen.

"Epic Crash Train" REVAMPED - FivePin3s
    i had a good time with this one this morning, but something started to creep in on me as i was playing. Mainly, there's no real tension. On one hand, i know that having an auto-scroll at the very beginning of the level might be a lot to ask of players (especially if the difficulty is going to drop down after that), but on the other hand, even though you've got the shaking camera, you know that train's not going to drop until you get out of it. So, even through the presentation is telling you "hurry up! hurry up!" you know you can just dawdle your way through. Even though FivePin3s is going for a close match to the original, it might have been better to add an early platforming bit to get the player warmed up, and then have a more difficult cliff-/train-climbing bit after that.

So...that's the that. Hopefully there's something in the lot that you can have a good time with. Thanks as always for the support, and have a great day!

Behind the Curtains Stuffs
    So! Freaking! Busy!

Spent Saturday, Sunday, and Monday rebuilding the Isaac backlog, which didn't need being done to quite the extent i did, but i got kind of locked in. Monday, in particular, was awful...because i was trying to get the Ultra Hard challenge, spent all morning trying to set up a winnable run, and only ended up with two episodes that i actually felt comfortable publishing (both of which were failures, of course).

Unfortunately this has meant not putting the time into R15F that i needed to. The levels for Friday's episode are recorded, so that's good, but i've hardly got the set-up done for the intro (just the early stage stuff, like changing the boards and calendar and such). Arrrg! It doesn't help that i spent a bunch of time setting up some characters, and then decided to scrap that bit of the story for now to wrap something else up instead (which will require a completely different character to be set up). Plus. i might be losing most all of Thursday (and probably all of Friday) for production so i can get some real life stuff done and.... This week's episode will be finished by Friday, but there's no way i'm going to be getting much work done on next week's. Aaaa...mouuuu...

This also means, there may be a bit of a lag until we have the breathing room to put out any LBsP episodes. Aaaa....mouuuu!

Level completed: 24%, Points required for next Level: 766
    Overall activity: 23.0%
    7 days registered 1000 Experience Points 500 Experience Points 250 Experience Points 100 Experience Points
    PSN
    waffle_king23

*Yawn* Ohayo de gozaru! It's that time come about again!

Episode 038 - Organ Grinder

This week we're having a go at:

The Elephant Escapade - jaylev
    The Ivy Castle - brandonlakey
    Pain - mangorio
    ShortCardboard - matteovivai
    The dead of time - bradley031

It's not a bad set-list, though we've probably had better. Doesn't help we stumbled into another one of those levels again. Two weeks in a row? Really? At any rate, hopefully you'll find something to your taste in the lot. Thanks as always for all the support and feedback, and have a great day!

Holy crow, just...last week. All of it, especially yesterday (excepting the stream, which turned out really well; thanks all y'all who showed up!), can take a long walk off a short cliff. Yesterday, at least was...clarifying. Disappointing, but clarifying.

i'm not not happy with the episode, but it was rushed. The outro turned out better than i initially felt about it, but still...i don't know. It could have been better? The title card is ambiguous, to be honest the idea came to me and i ran with it before i could really think if it was a good one or not. My preferred reading is Officer Thompson is successful in talking down our interesting coifed friend, but death of the author and all that.

There was something else i was going to say, but it's completely slipped my mind. Whee!

3. Thanks!

German Community Moderator CuriousSack's Avatar
    Level completed: 47%, Points required for next Level: 1,064
    Overall activity: 44.0%
    100 Experience Points 7 days registered 250 Experience Points 30 days registered 500 Experience Points
    PSN
    CuriousSack
    Blog Entries

Hahaha, ok, the outro is a little bit short, but your "hide and seek" efforts have been funny! Thanks a gain for sharing!

Many greetings, Jürgen^^

5. Thanks!

7 days registered 1000 Experience Points 500 Experience Points 250 Experience Points 100 Experience Points
    PSN
    waffle_king23

Quote Originally Posted by CuriousSack View Post
    Hahaha, ok, the outro is a little bit short, but your "hide and seek" efforts have been funny! Thanks a gain for sharing!

Many greetings, Jürgen^^
    Yeah, not really needing to say much about pain peeled a couple of minutes off the usual run-time. i...i think i'm ok with that.

Alright, time for another Tuesday Takeaway!

The Elephant Escapade - jaylev
    A bit of an odd one here, to be honest. Playing it now, i really like the visual presentation, particularly during the race (which helps to keep the player from noticing they're not doing all that much besides running to the right). The gameplay prior is just, well, it's really kind of awkward. The bits that look like wall jumps, you can run right up those, which means treating them similar to a wall jump just slows you down. The marsh bit is way trickier than it has any right being considering how early on you have to deal with it. There could have been a little more scaffolding before that part, i think. Still, in the end, i found it to be pretty enjoyable, and had a good time with the third time through. Also, they either fixed the bug at the end, or i was just unlucky getting it when i played for PiPs, because this time after the cutscene, i just got sent to the scoreboard.

The Ivy Castle - brandonlakey
    This is a fun one, have no doubt, though i'm not sure it's necessarily level of the day material. The cameras have got a real nasty swing on them that can be a bit nauseating if you pass through their trigger radius too quickly. i did like the gameplay, though. It reminded me a lot of playing during the LBP2-era. Just a straight-up, semi-stylized platformer, and i always appreciate that style.

Pain - mangorio
    Man, in its own way, this is even worse than the non-level we had last week. i have a particular hate-on for these whingy, "oh-woe, oh-woe the game isn't what i want it to be" levels. If you're not finding the levels you like, change the way you're looking. If you're not happy with the community, build up your own and make your corner of the larger community better. But no, some folks have just got to throw up their whinge-level, which, in perfect irony, just adds to the very problem they're complaining about! Side note: the outro took a lot of takes. The one we ended up keeping was far less harsh on Pain and mangorio than the ones we ended up scrapping.

ShortCardboard - matteovivai
    This is actually far more coherent and nice in gameplay and presentation than a lot of first time levels we usually see. Yeah, it's got its issues, but it manages to be fun and have a mostly smooth flow throughout. i hope matteo keeps creating, and keeps growing as a creator.

The dead of time - bradley031
    Bradley plays the GB copy of LBP3, though i don't know that means they're English (that's what that means, right? GB is for Great Brittan?). So perhaps we chalk up the poor text to youth? i tend to notice these things, is all. It's not a deal-breaker, but it does undercut the story. i liked the little platforming that we got, using switches like that is fairly rare, so it stands out when i see it. Wish there had been more, but i don't think that's what the level was going for, so i can't really hold that against it. It was nice playing something of a type i rarely look at. Even nicer to actually enjoy the experience.

So that's the that. Hopefully there's something in there that you'll find fun. Thanks as always for the support, and have a great day!

i'm slowly clawing my way back to my usual production schedule. Further along than i was this time last week, though still pretty far off from where i need to be. Which means, unless i get some serious work done today (not an impossibility), there probably won't be an LBsP put together tomorrow, which is a shame, but i kind of knew that this was going to happen.

Right now, i'm leaning toward not having a season 3 of R15F. As things are now, as much as i love doing the show, i always feel like i'm a bit on the knife's edge for getting things done when they need to be done, so they can have the quality i want. Also, Dreams will eventually come out, and i know i can't run two shows that require the amount of production R15F does at the same time. If i do decide to stop at the end of this season, what i want to do is make a dedicated schedule for LBsP, doing at least two a week, where one would keep the any-level-goes format we use now, and one using the more restrictive level selection style of R15F. Along the way, i'm thinking of using bonus episodes for things like tutorials, stories, and community/show updates. Nothing's decided yet, mind. We still have 13 episodes in R15F-S2 to get through, but i wanted folks to know the trend of my thinking right now.

So...my wife and i are officially divorced. Or, well, we've put in the paperwork; we do seem cursed to have to go in at least once for a round of corrections anytime we have to deal with the government. We're ok with things, and with each other. There's been a lot of time talking things through; we've probably had more time the past few months actually talking about things that are important than in the last few years. Unfortunately (well, there are a lot of unfortunately things, but this is the most troubling and possibly pressing), one thing we've discovered is the sister-in-law is way more toxic than either of us had ever given her credit for. i'm not going to get into details (for a lot of reasons), but it's been a major cause of stress and exhaustion for both of us. If i am (or have been) a little more snippy and scattershot than usual recently, i just ask a little forbearance for a little while. Thanks folks.

7. Thanks!

PSN
    waffle_king23

Ossu! Back again for another round!

Episode 039 - Nostrum

This go about we're having a look at:

The Lost Temple - Pug_maniac
    Ninja - xXQueenDollyXx
    Fire Dream - Buffalows
    Torn dimensions - dirtydragon14
    Overgrown Tank - ItsVolltz

It's a fine enough set of levels, with a couple that stand out quite nicely, and none that fall completely on their faces. Hopefully something in there will look worth playing to you. Thanks as always, and have a great day!

Can't believe how fast we've plowed through the year already. Time to start tying up the loose bits of plot that we've got lying about all over the place. Though there should be a fair amount we can get done yet in the three months we've got left in the season. At the very least we've got to get Manny back somehow.

Tonight i'm finally seeing Ant-man and the Wasp (i haven't been holding off on it or anything, it's just finally come out, is all).

This is probably only interesting to an extremely small sub-set of people, but it looks like they're finally integrating the Antibirth fan-made expansion into Binding of Isaac, which is pretty darned cool. Even if you're not an Isaac fan, Mudeth's soundtrack for it is a masterpiece.

PSN
    waffle_king23

Guten morgen! It's Tuesday Takeaway time!

Lost Temple - Pug_maniac
    Playing through this morning and...it's just a level that blends into dozens of other levels out in the community. It's not that it does anything particularly wrong; in fact, as levels go it's pretty competently put together. It's just that it doesn't really do anything that sets it apart in the end. Aside from, maybe, that pixel art pig-beast-thing that rises up out of the lava, and that's a blink-and-you'll-miss-it kind of thing. As was pointed out to me by Countess_Roadkill (Ostler5000) there was a slide that i ran right past without even noticing in the first play (and the play for PiPs, for that matter). Even keeping an eye out for it this time, it was way easier to bypass it than engage.

Ninja - xXQueenDollyXx
    So...i don't know what was going on this morning, but the spike-hitbox bug was in full effect this morning. Was it because i hit the lower path trigger before hitting the upper one this time (the first time i played, i'd done the reverse, since the upper path trigger's on the left)? i don't know, but i have neither the time, nor the inclination, to debug it.

Fire Dream - Buffalows
    Playing through this time really brought home the disservice the zoomed-out cameras and undifferentiated materials do to the visual presentation and detail work of the level. Though, saying that, the lava-rock material does provide a nice warm feel to the lighting. The gameplay is solid enough, though not really much to write home about in the end. i kind of feel like i should've given this one an orange diamond, rather than a yellow square. Still it's fun enough for what it is.

Torn dimensions - dirtydragon14
    This one is such a good example of how to implement a power-up in a level. It's integral to progress throughout the level. While superficially limited in effect, dirtydragon14 manages to have a variety of uses for it. As a custom-made one, it's well-designed (though, as noted, it is prone to breaking if you spam it), and well-presented both visually (with the lighting change) and aurally (with that really satisfying, almost tactile, *CLUNK*).
    Unfortunately this one's also a textbook example of how not to set up a difficulty flow in a level. There's no scaffolding for the timing necessary during the piston sections, and there is nothing, before or after, that even approaches that level of difficulty. So you're left with this huge roadblock that gives a false impression of the level of skill required for the rest of the level. i can easily see a lot of players just giving up there, and the one's who make it past thinking, "well, what the hell?"
    Also, unfortunately this is a pretty good example of a level falling through the cracks in the community. In the year and 8months since the level was published, it's had 30plays, and 3of them were me. The level really deserves a lot more love, and if it had received some back-and-forth feedback when it was put up, it probably could have been much better. If you have the time, give this one the once-over, yeah?

Overgrown Tank - ItsVolltz
    We play so few Toggle levels, and fewer still that i actually come away enjoying, so this one was a pleasant surprise. Great visual presentation, and a really nice backing track (though it was a touch on the loud side, as hand-made tracks tend to be). Both aspects of Toggle are actually necessary for once, instead of Big Toggle getting maybe one moment to shine. The gameplay is nice and smooth, and the pace is quite well-done as well. It's not all that long, but you're in the level long enough to get a really good feel for it. All around great level.

So, that's the that. Some really good levels, a couple that need a bit more polish, nothing that's all that bad. Hopefully you can have a bit of fun with them. Thanks as always for all the feedback and support, and i hope you have a great day!

i'm resigned to the fact that i'm probably not going to be on my usual production schedule for at least a couple of weeks. The last few i've not really had consistent use of the telly, and the next few will be me digging my way out of the previously created hole. At the very least, i'm well sorted on Isaac.

Ant-man and the Wasp was really cool, and just an all-around fun movie. i think it's a great example of using (relatively) low-stakes to drive an enjoyable superhero movie...not everything has to be "save the planet" or "defeat the evil god." The mid-credits stinger left me a bit salty, even though i know why it's there. It's just, it basically abnegates the entire movie preceding (and means that the film doesn't really function as well as a stand-alone experience).

The really cool thing about the night, though, was noticing a signboard at the theatre advertising a reshowing of John Carpenter's The Thing this October. Now, The Thing is one of my favourite movies ever, and i never thought i'd get the chance to see it on the big screen, so this is a really big...well...a really big thing for me. i don't know how long they'll be playing it, but i'm going to try and see it a couple of time while i have the chance .

10. Thanks!

PSN
    waffle_king23

Holy crap, it's 3.44 in the morning....errr...i mean, it's that time again!

Episode 040 - Montebank

This week we're having a look at:

Galaxy Run - A-Purple-Box
    Painty Tower - gameAMOUR
    Agent Raptor - ZedCOcoZza
    Tricky Tower - kuma9k
    Flow - BROTHM GARDEN - ramon234567

It's actually a pretty cool set this go around, though not all the levels hit the mark they're aiming for. Hopefully something in the lot catches your eye and looks like something you can have fun with. Thanks as always for the support and feedback, and have a great day!

i don't think i've ever been quite as frustrated doing an outro before. i mean, i've had times when things didn't flow the way i'd wanted, but this one was really kind of absurd. By the time i finally got a take i was generally happy with, it was close enough to 2am to just stay up a bit longer and catch lsrs's weekly stream. Of course, that means i didn't get things all wrapped up until *looks at clock* weeeelll...it's 3.48a now.

The stream was really cool. A lot more fun being a participant, than just watching the video later. They'd had the same issue with chat messages not showing up in the PS4 UI as i had yesterday afternoon. This was actually kind of comforting, as it seems it isn't just some setting screw up on my end. Still i hope SONY gets things sorted out, trying to keep one eye on my laptop, and one eye on my TV is kind of annoying.

There'll probably be an afternoon stream today. Like 95% probability.

i need to sleep forever now, but i also need to be up before 8a....this is a problem.

12. Thanks!

PSN
    waffle_king23

Heyos, Tuesday Takeaway time over here!

Galaxy Run - A-Purple-Box
    This is just a really "meh" kind of level in the end, isn't it? i kind of liked the brighter look of the early space-mine bit, but that's over far too quickly and everything's pretty drab looking afterwards. In fact, that whole Swoop section could have probably stood to be bulked out just a touch. The real killer, though, is the lack of momentum we mentioned in the episode. At no time did i feel like i had a smooth flow through the level, but worse, i never thought such a thing would really be possible, regardless of my knowledge of the layout, or improvements in skill. If a player's got that feeling about your race, they're not going to come back and play it again and again to try and get a better result.

Painty Tower - gameAmour
    Had a fun enough time with this one this time around, but i've got to wonder about the presentation choices. Like, why beige for a background colour? It manages to be both drab and ugly at the same time. Pulling in the cameras a touch would have probably helped the lack of decoration and differentiation in the materials. Two bits about the gameplay that did irk me a bit, though. One was inconsistency in mechanics. Having things that launch or bounce you will do that in one section, but not in another. The other was the introduction of the hazardous crayons at the end. They're right on top of you as soon as you get in range, and they're pretty darn tricky to dodge. Might have wanted to introduce those a bit earlier in the level.

Agent Raptor - ZedCOcoZza
    This is such a cool level, and a style i don't really get a chance to often play (certainly not for the show). i really came around to liking the need to actually think about the timing of your attacks, though that feeling of "oh, well, i screwed the timing on that one, didn't i?" took a bit of getting used to. Sound and music are very well done. The look of the level is spot on, coherent, and well-suited to the story. The one real fly in the ointment is the camera shake when you jump. i can get why it's there, but it gets to be a bit much pretty quick. Thankfully it's not a part of the boss fight.

Tricky Tower - kuma9k
    Liked this one a lot more after the fourth play, which is good and bad, really. i don't know if a lot of players are going to give a level that many chances to click (though the fact that you can definitely feel improvement might be a good hook). The look of the level does pretty well pound a lot of my "like" buttons. Wish the hazards were a bit easier to spot, though. There's something about the electrical hazards in low light that makes all the materials around them look hazardous as well. Something ought to be done about that ramp, as well. Maybe putting in a bit of logic so that it becomes immobile once you've pushed it into place.

Flow - BROTHAM GARDEN - ramon234567
    We ran into the creator of this one on lsrs's livestream on Friday, and that was cool. Was interesting to hear some of their thinking in making the level, and was nice that they could take criticism (about the checkpoints) in the spirit they were intended. Some folks aren't really able to do that. Anyhow, check out that stream if you want to get a little director's commentary. As for the level, i really love the way the level looks.
    Wasn't so happy with the lack of momentum in a level that was supposed to be a momentum based level. Really, really wasn't happy with how long it took to get to a checkpoint in that first section. You'll be re-covering a lot of ground until you've got a good handle on the level's mechanics.

So, that's the that this week. There should definitely be something in there that will tickle your fancy. Thanks for all the support and feedback, folks, and i hope y'all have a great day!

i hate to say it, and i really don't know what the reason is, but i have basically no motivation to do anything but make Isaac episodes. i mean, that's great for the Isaac series (we're backlogged up into October at this point), but not so great for anything else.

14. Thanks!

PSN
    waffle_king23

Ossu! Good morning all! It's that time again!

Episode 041 - Lunkhead

Moonshine's Castle of Dreams - CrazyCatQueen
    Lumberwood - AlpiPynnonen
    Relaxing Concept - SweetGingerAle
    Kamitorii No Hikyou - PAZUDORAb
    Billy's Toybox - aveman101

It's an oddly chill set of levels this go about, not a lot of high-stress, high-danger, but that can be nice too sometimes. Hopefully there'll be something in the lot that looks right for you. Thanks as always for all the support and feedback, and have a great day!

Got everything wrapped early enough that i couldn't really justify staying up for lsrs's stream, which is a shame, i had a good time with it last week. Still, the extra 4hours of sleep was well appreciated.

My own stream is chugging along well enough, barring technical difficulties like the connection dropping out like yesterday. i'm...kind of enjoying Axiom Verge, though sometimes it really is too obtuse for it's own good. i've been doing well enough not going to FAQs, but we may need to soon so i don't have to spend another episode mostly stumbling around in the dark (though, at least we got a lot of the map explored, and picked up a bunch of optional, but helpful stuff).

i'm going to see Meg today...i don't really know if that's a good thing or not, to be honest.

16. Thanks!

PSN
    waffle_king23

Ossu! Another early morning Tuesday's Takeaway!

Moonshine's Castle of Dreams - CrazyCatQueen
    This is a fun little trip down memory lane, here. The gameplay is really reminiscent of LBP1, in mostly good ways. Though, like we said in the episode, the sparseness of decoration calls back fairly strongly as well. i forgot to mention in the episode, but there is one little wonky bit of gameplay in the level: there's this tree bit where the platforms disappear Mega Man-style. They're not hard to get through, but there doesn't seem to be a particular cue or tell to let you know when they'll start to go.

Lumberwood - AlpiPynnonen
    Yeah, the monsters are big and goofy looking, but they've definitely got a simple charm to them. The environment is quite nicely-done, particularly for a creator who doesn't have many levels under their belt (though, of course, there could be a lot on there moon we're not seeing). The gameplay isn't all that flash, but it keeps you moving well enough. i managed to get up on top of the wheeled monster this go about to grab that extra score bubble. That was kind of neat.

Relaxing Concept - SweetGingerAle
    Screwing up the puzzle in the episode was very, very dumb on me; not that these things don't happen from time to time. The camera in the upper area is pulled out by necessity, but it can make your Sackthing a bit tough to parse. i liked the weird randomness of the design here, it works strangely well with the Gardens background for some reason. i really wish the level had been fleshed out more, though. It's kind of more a Teaser, than a fully developed thing.

Kamitorii no Hikyou - PAZUDORAb
    i forgot to mention that "pazudora" is what they call Puzzles & Dragons over here, maybe that's a thing everyone knows. It can be really hard to tell what's common knowledge. i don't know what was going on with this one today, but i was having a lot of trouble with layers and i kept jumping and expecting to be pushed back a layer, only to fall into some gap or another. Also...surely that one bit we saw in the episode was supposed to have lighting, right? Also, also, plank bridges with wide gaps can take a nice long walk off a very short pier.

Billy's Toybox - aveman101
    The big story here is that the version we looked at was stolen. Wish i'd known that before it was too late to edit the video, though at least i've changed the links. i think we covered everything i'd wanted to say in the video and my feelings on the level haven't changed. Which is not to say it's bad or anything like that; quite the opposite, it's great fun, with a very solid presentation throughout. Definitely worth a play or two.

And that's the that this week. Hopefully there was something in there you had a good time with. Thanks for all the support, and have yourselves a great day!

The Meg was terrible. Not even terrible in a fun way. Terrible in a slogging, draggy way where you don't care who lives or dies, you just kind of want the credits to start rolling already. That might just be me, but i'd recommend saving your money, yeah.

18. Thanks!

PSN
    waffle_king23

Mornin', mornin' seems that time has slouched about again, hasn't it?

Episode 042 - Klatch

Down in the Pumpkin Patch - drstixx12
    On The Hill - dannymitch2008
    swoop's "tree" house - Samho168
    Mr. YellowHead's 2D Adventure - tacoman2004
    An American Diner and the Grand Neon Tree - SkullerFin

One of our standard, eclectic mixes this go about. Nothing terrible, one really good one, and the rest ranging from "ummm...ok" to "yeah, that's pretty well done." Hopefully at least one of them really catches your eye, tickles your fancy, looks appealing to you...that kind of thing. Thanks as always for all the support and feedback, folks, it means a lot to me. Hope you all have a great day now!

i've woken up exactly just too late to catch lsrs today, which, to be honest, i've pretty much resigned myself to. Got today's episode wrapped at a reasonable hour (if a week later than i'd like), so...yeah...

The stream actually didn't break yesterday, which was nice. Also, chat seems to be working again, so i don't have to keep glancing over at my laptop to keep up with what people are saying. We had a bit of a lively one, which i always appreciate. SirMonacle has returned from whichever climes they'd been haunting, and mdkd99 made an appearance as well. All in all quite a good time on my end.

We've finally got Manny back from Infernus! Yay! i had a good time putting together the intro piece this go about, though as always, there really wasn't enough time to get in all the story i'd had in mind. Feel bad about Lucretia in particular, her dialogue got chopped down to two lines. But needs must when the devil drives, no? i'll have to have them in the intro next week to fill things out a bit.

This week's title card is, i think, one of my favourites. It didn't turn out entirely how i wanted (they never do, do they?), but even still. i like the idea of there being a cafe/bar staffed by forgotten video game characters. i imagine i'd be run by Asagi. That reminds me, i really ought to finally have a long sit down with Disgaea5.

We're down to the final 10episodes of the season folks. Hard to credit, isn't it?

Bonus because i'm tired enough to be dumb. A picture of myself at...20? Around that age, at least.
    old01b.jpg

20. Thanks!

PSN
    waffle_king23

Woop. It's super early Tuesday Takeaway time!

Down in the Pumpkin Patch - drstixxs12
    The environment and atmosphere are the main selling points here. There's a good material selection, and i do like how the platforms make some kind of diegetic sense. the gameplay is...well, when you get down to it, it's pretty slight. You've only got those rotating bits, and that's about it for the platforming. There are the Blink Ball and Power Glove bits, but there's not really much to hang a hat on there. Still, it's a nice Autumn-flavoured walk, and i can appreciate that.

On The Hill - dannymitch2008
    It's a pretty good level for a second creation, i have to give it that. Pretty slight on directions, but it manages to build a pretty cohesive (if early 90s video game-esque) environment. Could use a bit of decoration, perhaps, but that's not a deal breaker. The cave bit was nice, and the access to it was well-handled. The elephant in the room is jumping off those sponge bits. Man do they get real frustrating real quick. The one we saw in the video, and a later set of three rotating ones, a spaced with barely any wiggle room.

swoop's "tree" house - Samho168
    i don't know what's up with those quotes. It's a tree. Unless we're getting needlessly pedantic and saying that since it's a representation of a tree in a video game it's not the real thing. Which is a viable read, but then house should be in quotes as well. i don't really think Samho168 was thinking that deeply about it, though. Our new assistant area manager (who is pretty much a muppet) has put up signs in the break rooms reminding us teachers to put on our "genki" face (yes, with the quotes in the original) before we enter the classroom. This probably says more about me than him, but it makes me incandescently angry every time i see it.

Mr. YellowHead's 2D Adventure - tacoman2004
    Not an awful lot to say about this one. i like seeing creators try something a little different, and this one fits that bill. At the same time, i think it could use a bit more time in the oven. There's just too much of a gap between hitting X and actually pulling off the jump. The level is pretty short, but it works as a test of concept, in the end.

An American Diner and the Grand Neon Tree - SkullerFin
    Alright, just to get it out of the way, the song can just go to hell. We're clear on that by this point, right? Ok. This one is a perfect snapshot of one of my favourite types of environments in LBP. Using something real-world as a jumping off point to make something weird and lively, but still having a strong cohesion to it. The gameplay is mostly solid, though there are a few bits i'm a bit iffy on. i'm not really sure how much control you have over that purple velocaraptor bit. i'm willing to forgive that much. Also, something that often gets overlooked, but, the length is a really good match for the pace.

So, that's the that for this week. We've got good, bad(ish), ugly, and weird, so...pretty much a full house. Or a royal flush? Or, i dunno, something like that. Hope there was something here you found fun. Thanks for all the support and feedback and have a great day!

Remember Overgrown Tank from (ostensibly) ItsVoltz? Well, yeah, actually that's Overgrown Tank from VeryCoolMe. i grind my teeth almost constantly. Oh...not over this, but it doesn't help. Went to VCM's lbp.me to let them know their level'd been klept, and...i don't really get up into LBP-drama, but there seems to be some kind of drama going on there. Ah well...

i don't think i mentioned this, but we finally got the triple save file clear in Isaac (at least on the PC). The problem is, for a while there, i was recording 3episodes a day, so the actual episode that happens won't come up until Oct 11th, i think? Also, i've got so many episodes in the backlog, i pretty much can't record any more.

We wrapped Axiom Verge on...i think it was Saturday? Yeah, must have been Saturday. Anyhow, i found myself having less and less fun as the game progressed. i mean, the streaming side was fun; no problems there. But the affectations and nods toward old-school Metroid? They get pretty old, pretty quick. Missing a jump and falling down two or three screens? Getting absolutely lost because there's a single block of lava you need to glitch out to actually progress (when you don't need to do that at any other point in the game)? Yeah...in the end, i was pretty happy to see the backside of this one. Will have to think of what game to do for our next long-form. Hopefully something i actually already have, since i'm pretty well broke (that forced 10day vacation we had in August? Yeah, that peeled about 300bucks of my paycheck...whee...).

22. Thanks!

PSN
    waffle_king23

Guten morgen! It's that time come 'round 'gain!

Episode 043 - Jackanapes

This time we're having a go at:

My first (And probably worst) level - krishna55561
    Sky island - darthjojo2005
    Music Box - iHeartArt
    Oddsock's fast fun fest - Suncaptured
    The Wicked Land - theRacso05

Got most the whole range this week, so that's...interesting. But, definitely some good stuff in there. Hopefully you'll find something that looks to your liking. Thanks as always for the support and feedback, and have a great day!

i've got the levels recorded and initial hub set-up done for next week's episode. Probably could've gotten more of it done yesterday, but my brain was just well-broken. At this rate, i'll be back to my hoped-for production schedule round about episode 49 or 50.

Was noodling around with Enter the Gungeon before going to bed last night. Haven't played in weeks, and was thinking of maybe doing a bonus stream of it today, so i figured maybe a little practice would be a good idea. So, of course, i got The Bullet (the secret character, not the item) unlocked by accident. i really wanted to get that done in-stream, but...the conditions presented themselves, so... Still, i was disappointed. Happy, but disappointed. Is there a word combining those two emotions?

Had the weirdest dream that i was doing an episode of LBsP on a level done by Jim Sterling. Not that, as far as i know, he plays LBP, or has made any levels for it. Though it's certainly possible he has. It was a lot of stress, because i was sure whatever i said, he would lambaste me on his show. i do like watching him, from time to time, though i find him grating in large doses.
    What it reminded me i'd like to do, though, is have a special episode on Return to Carnivalia. Not sure how i'd set it up yet. Maybe the usual 3minute per level for the normal ones, 1minute for the minigame levels? However i set it up, it'd be a well longer episode than normal, and take a lot longer to get put together and published. We'll mark that as a maybe, at the moment.

Bugger...i've forgotten the other stuff i'd wanted to say...s'ppose that's fine, we've nannered on long enough.

24. Thanks!

PSN
    waffle_king23

Ossu! Tuesday Takeaway time!

My first (And probably worst) level - krishna55561
    What to say about this one that we haven't said about the dozens of others we've seen before. At least krishna55561 was up-front about the quality, and hopefully their next one will be a step up from here.

Sky island - darthjojo2005
    i feel like there have been a few changes made here, but not really enough to make a difference in the final product. darthjojo2005 has been showing up in the stream-chat recently, and they seem like pretty decent people. mdkd99 has taken to giving them some advice, good advice mind, but i'm not sure darth has quite picked up on it (like setting the jump pads into the ground instead of on it, he did that for the triggered pad, but not for any of the others). Still, they seem to be an avid creator, and i expect they will be improving more as time goes on.

Music Box - iHeartArt
    Did this one pick up Level of the Day a bit back? i feel like it did, but it's only got 1,902 plays. i would have expected more of a bounce, really. Came away from it this time feeling even more positive about the level than when we did the episode, and i regret a little not giving it a Green Circle. The integration of gameplay elements throughout the level is really solidly done. The environment is pretty delightful to look at, and quite cohesive in theme and design. It is a little difficult to track your SackThing at times, and judging what's in what layer can be a little tough, but those felt a little less negative this go around.

Oddsock's fast fun fest - Suncaptured
    This one is so bog-standard that i managed to forget it was on the list twice this morning alone. It is interesting that it makes you choose between points and progress, so there's a little tension there, but...it's just pretty meh in the end. At least it's not exactly bad.

The Wicked Land - theRacso05
    This one picked up Level of the Day today, so good for theRacso05! This one's another really fun one. There's some of the feeling of a really fun LBP1 level here (even though none of the gameplay elements would have been doable in LBP1). It might be the presentation of it, i'm not sure. Still, it's all the way through fun to look at and fun to play, and i don't think a lot of levels quite nail that balance.

So, that's the that this go about. Music Box and The Wicked Land are definitely strong levels for the week, the rest, well...yeah. Thanks as always for the support and feedback, and have yourselves a great day!

26. Thanks!

PSN
    waffle_king23

Ossu! Mornin' all! Time's come round again, no?

Episode 044 - Iliac

The quicksand woods - AureliusMagnus
    Caja De Sorpresas - krufo_6
    Platforms - GranthamAMP
    Getting crafty! - Brina1813
    Beyond imagination 2 - muleRR

Errr....yeah, this is a bit of an interesting set list for us. There's definitely one level in there i think we can all agree is good. The rest? Well, ymmv, i suppose. Hopefully there's something for you in there, though. Thanks for all the support and feedback, and i hope y'all have a great day.

So, yesterday the chat was going really well. i think we had like four convos going on at once, and i was doing pretty well juggling game and chat. Had a couple of good Gungeon runs that didn't pan out, and one where we were able to actually clear the Convict's past (and getting the W against the Dragun was one-hit touch-and-go, very tense). And then, right at the end, some jaggamuffin rocks up to chat, and apropos of nothing starts talking about...well...nothing i'm much comfortable having in my chat. It's not as though my streams are language- or topic-wise 100% G-rated, but still...it really burnt my toast. i suppose i should be happy that in 2years of making videos, and...i think 4months of streaming, this has been the first time it's happened, but i'd rather it hadn't happened at all, right? At least i know how to bounce someone from chat now, which also removes their comments from the chat window (though not, unfortunately, from the UI in the video itself).

i've started a second Isaac stream, because i have some kind of mental damage i guess. This one's in English. The funny thing is the first video in the series picked up more views than any of the 800some episodes i've done in Japanese. Weird, that.

Umm...we're at least getting R15F episodes produced on time. We're going to try and get an LBsP episode out today or maybe tomorrow depending on how the editing goes. i should have gotten the recording done for it last night, but by the time i got some other things i needed to do done, i was just too tired to focus.

28. Thanks!

PSN
    waffle_king23

Ossu! Tuesday Takeaway Time!

The quicksand woods - AureliusMagnus
    There's really nothing to say about this one. The hazard could be worked into an actual level, i think, though it should probably be a bit faster in killing the player. Otherwise it's going to chunk the pace of gameplay. Still, the effect was decent enough, i suppose.

Caja de Sorpresas - krufo_6
    The pace of this one is just all over the place, and it ends up feeling overlong in the end (or by the time you die enough to end the level, which i did, again). The enemies were nice in their inclusion, though pretty frustrating in their execution. The spinning electrical hazard on the top hat ones is really tough to figure the timing on; and the triple-braincase things are really tough to pop in one go without getting hung up on their spikes. Also, they've got a really weird recorded noise they make that gets old pretty quick. It's not a bad level, per se, just frustrating and, ultimately, disappointing.

Platforms - GranthamAMP
    Meh. Meh. Me~~h. There's just nothing really going on in this one. i have to admit i liked the intro with the stairs dropping into place, but after that? Well, y'all saw the video. The environment's sparseness could have been forgivable if we'd gotten more in the way of gameplay, but in the main it's a lot of simple horizontal movement across vast spaces. The jumping bit at the end could've worked if it'd been a touch shorter, and there was some other gameplay element between the bounce pad portion and the regular block bit. Again, it's not exactly a bad level, but i think your time could be better spent elsewhere.

Getting crafty! - Brina1813
    This one's probably the best of the "bad" levels. Some thought is given to a cohesive, if abstracted, environment. The gameplay bits were frustrating, yes, but at least not over-long. i do think the order could have been switched up to better effect, though. Maybe 1>3>2, or 2>3>1. Just to give the gameplay a bit more of a feeling of variety. i did like the companion's tableaux toward the end. Brina1813 dropped a line to say they were more of a movie-maker, than level-builder, so it might be their strength is in setting up scenes. That is something i can definitely understand, being basically a good description for where i'm at in LBPcreation.

Beyond Imagination 2 - muleRR
    This one was the gem in the donut. Or is it jam? How's that idiom go, anyway? Whatever, bad choice, i hate donuts with fillings, whatever they may be. What i'm trying to say is, this one was the cream of the crop for this week's episode. It kind of makes sense it's a recreation (or perhaps republish) of an LBP2-era level. It might be just me, but while i love a lot of levels that could only have been done with the LBP3 toolset, i think LBP2 probably most consistently gives us great levels. i'm not sure why that is exactly. Maybe just having a more robust toolset (though still with limitations like layers) combined with a much more active community so you have a lot of people bouncing ideas off each other. i don't know, but the LBP2 community levels are special. i hope we get a similar situation once dreams gets its feet on the ground and starts running.

So that's the that this go about. A pretty fair amount of dross, but that last one makes it worthwhile, in my opinion at least. Hope you found something in there to float your boat. Thanks as always for the feedback and support, and have a great day!

i've been struggling to carve out the time to finally finish up my LBsP episode on Chronos453's Chapter Zero. i've got principle level recording done, but haven't been able to get around to PiP recording. Part of that is getting behind in my hub set-up for Friday's R15F and behind the streams (since they're scheduled) that has to take priority. Part of it is just being a little low recently, no particular reason. Or enough reasons that you can't really point to any one and say that's it. i dunno.

Went out looking to rent Girls' Last Tour, since i've been reading the manga and really liking it. None of the video shops has it, unfortunately. i even (drunkenly) signed up for Netflix on the off chance i could watch it there. They ain't got it either. While i was looking around, i stopped in a i don't know what you'd call it...a sub-culture-adjacent shop? They stock manga, and a whole lot of other weird bric-a-brac. Didn't find Girls' Last Tour, unfortunately, but i did stumble across Joshikohei, which i'd read about ages ago, made a mental note to check out, and then promptly forgot about. Picked up a couple of volumes and...it's weird.
    So...humanity has migrated to another dimension (because we've screwed up Earth, i think? It's a few steps above my reading level, really). Anyway, we get into a war, and the only way to really fight is...to pilot giant bio-mecha which (for reasons that completely escape me) look like high-school girls. It sounds absurd, and it is...except...the art style doesn't really present it that way, like, visually it reads like it's playing the conceit perfectly straight. It is completely brutal, in almost every aspect, and there are very, very few of the softening aspects present in some manga (like abstracted, detail-light, character/facial design). Midway through the first volume they're fighting some giant beast that can mutate/absorb the Girl Fighters into itself until it's some hideously deformed flesh-crafted monstrosity. Oh, and did i mention that if the pilots are active too long they start to think they're actually high school girls (albeit armed with giant guns and fighting hideous monsters)? Because that's totally a thing in the story, and it's about as disturbing as you'd think. i'm still not sure how i feel about this manga yet.

30. Thanks!

PSN
    waffle_king23

And we're back!

Episode 045 - Hexaphene

This go about we're having a look at:

Twilight Gardens 2 - DrBacon3457
    A hop through the Gardens - IrishRob74
    Autumn: Take Me Home - Edmark16
    Dimensions voisines - musnake
    CRYPTICA - Slufoot_48

All in all i think we've got a much better balanced set of levels this week than last. There's only one iffy there, and even that might be a Your-Mileage-May-Vary type of thing. Hopefully there'll be a couple in there that catch your eye and you'll have fun playing. Thanks as always for the support and feedback, and have a great day!

We're in perfect weather for a funk, that's for sure. The mornings have been pretty uniformly grey, and most (but not all) the afternoons have been that overcast null-time, where it could just as easily be noon as sunrise. Feh...

i need to remind myself that anything involving doors is going to be a complete pain to put together. Really, i should kit up a couple of sets that could be slotted into any set, because something always goes sideways when i try making them from scratch. So...this hub took forever to get working the way i needed it to, and then forever to record because i kept flubbing my lines, or not being happy with delivery (or twice during the outro getting so involved with what i was saying that i forgot to move around and the stupid screen-saver got triggered. i was livid). i think next week's set is going to be something easy to just get into and record.

Today's fun fact, Hexaphene is used in embalming. There are a number of different variants of it from fluid to jelly. We used the jelly style, mostly for times when we couldn't get extremities embalmed thoroughly enough due to artery damage/blockage. Also for faces on the few occasions when there would be a really long wait between the embalming and service. Stuff was strong as hell, smelled awful like you wouldn't believe, and was very toxic.

Work has been, worrisome, to be perfectly honest. We'll see what it's looking like in the next few months, but i'm honestly starting to get a bit antsy.

i still don't know what the heck is going on with that manga i was reading. i'm on the fence as to whether i'll pick up the next two volumes. It's only a 6volume set, which i think is a pretty good length provided the author actually has a good idea for wrapping things up, and they're not scrambling to end something they'd originally thought would go on longer (both Biomega and Deadman Wonderland feel like they were supposed to have another volume or two, and end up with slightly unsatisfying denouements).

32. Thanks!

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6